Unable to connect to Media Center Extender (Win 10)

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
MrSaturn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to connect to Media Center Extender (Win 10)

Post by MrSaturn » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:46 am

I've been using WMC for a few years now with my HDHomeRun Prime on Win 7 or Win 8.1 computers, but I finally decided to see if I could get it to work on my Win 10 machine. I've (finally) got WMC working great on Win 10, and can see all of my channels perfectly. However, when I try to add an extender, everything falls apart. I modified termsrv.dll as instructed in a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtzKsAjH-hw), but I'm still having no luck. Every time I attempt to connect to my extender, WMC locks up entirely (I've tried waiting over an hour, and it never proceeds) and the Media Center Extender Service in Windows is disabled. Is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have any ideas?

This is where it seems to most frequently lock up, though it sometimes happens before the "searching" step:

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:44 am

Meluvalli was the first in the world to get the Xbox working in WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12 (aka v12) within Windows 10 Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.0)

What WMC Version are you using? (the full number please)

This process uses RdpWrapper, your Termsrv edits will have to be restored to original. I believe the original termsrv is available on the RdpWrapper site, if your original is unavailable. The 2nd link details the configuration of RdpWrapper
Basically you would need to uninstall some updates to get your Windows 10 down to 10586.0 Then download and extract WMCv12. Place a couple files in the v12 bin (Mcx2Prov and NtRights). Possibly edit install.bat using Notepad++. Then figure out how to install v12. If you get it right, v12 will update all the hard links with the OS and your Xbox's will become installable.

Here is the link to his directions.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1209614

The second was Gareth North (possibly from the UK). Here is a link to his directions.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1218317
Attachments
Meluvalli001(b).jpg
Meluvalli001.jpg
Meluvalli002.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:09 am

Here is the link to BinaryMaster the developer of RdpWrapper.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... 8-1-Basic)

The picture shows how to get in to RDP Config.
Attachments
RDPwrapper001.jpg

MrSaturn

Post by MrSaturn » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:07 am

Thanks for all the help! I was using v12 (should have mentioned that before), as I wasn't able to get any other versions to work on my PC. I did keep the original version of the termsrv.dll file as a backup, in case this was needed. Unfortunately, I can't downgrade the machine or reinstall Win 10 due to some work software that's on here that I can't risk having to reinstall. :/

With the instructions linked above, I was able to get a little further. After "searching for your extender," the Xbox goes to the black WMC screen as if it's connecting, and WMC on the PC gives this screen.

I noticed some text at the bottom of the first link stating that it doesn't work with the newest update to Win 10, and the 2nd link seemed dependent on reformatting the machine, which I can't do at the moment. I guess I'll just keep using my 8.1 machine as the host for my extenders until a workaround comes about.

Thanks again for the help!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Also check your firewall. As on a default 7 or 8 install, it will make the changes for extenders, it does not on the 10 install. I might just for your testing disable your firewall completely, if it works, then enable and open up the needed ports (off the top of my head, I forget all of them).
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Here is the link to BinaryMaster the developer of RdpWrapper.

Are you able to display video in WMC over RDP with RDPWrapper?

What about channels marked with cci copy protection?

I know this is the WMC10 forum, but does this work also in Win7? I have a lot of Win7 machines and am not really in a hurry to upgrade them.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Sammy2 wrote:

I know this is the WMC10 forum, but does this work also in Win7? I have a lot of Win7 machines and am not really in a hurry to upgrade them.
Yea, I didn't even think about it, if I could get that running on Windows 7 (x64), I think there would be 0 need to go to Windows 10....

After all, I got the hex edits complete on it to disable the "Your res is too high for Media Center" message (so I can run at 4K) and the volume control menu that pops up all the time, also disabled. I have Windows 7 running PERFECT for WMC now...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:

Yea, I didn't even think about it, if I could get that running on Windows 7 (x64), I think there would be 0 need to go to Windows 10....

After all, I got the hex edits complete on it to disable the "Your res is too high for Media Center" message (so I can run at 4K) and the volume control menu that pops up all the time, also disabled. I have Windows 7 running PERFECT for WMC now...
So this is using RDP Wrapper on a "client" Win7 machine acting as an extender?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:

So this is using RDP Wrapper on a "client" Win7 machine acting as an extender?
I dont want to take this thread too much off topic but....

Well, you have to follow the directions above, I tried this in the past on Windows 7. A few Hex edits (really easy once you learn how do it) on 2 WMC files. It did run and allowed to play video over a RDP session in WMC.

In my case and noticed issues with it.
1. Could not watch live TV but, recorded content played back fine (not sure about Protected content), Live TV would go to "display driver error.
2. Could not run in full screen (only in a Window), if you expand it to full screen, you get a black screen (so much for using as a "extender")
3. After patching the files, no extenders would connect any more.

Love the possabilties here... Get a $40 RasberryPI device, as long as you have a RDP app for it. Run at startup connecting to a profile on the WMC machine, each PI, different profile. No limits for WI-FI on the xbox, play all content including MKV files.... it would be epic and cheap... Sigh.. oh, well, needs more work before that dream happens..

Does not look like this will work out, sad to say
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:19 pm

I got basically the same results using TeamViewer without hacking an files.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:52 am

Sammy2 wrote:I got basically the same results using TeamViewer without hacking an files.
Actually Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) and TeamViewer connect in different ways as this screen capture illustrates. This is an actual screen capture from a Win7 box with a genuine dual monitor video adapter (NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI) connecting to an old laptop that I use for my Win10 testing. Win10 has the Graznok Patch for RDP, and RDPWrapper.

I don't remember if you need to patch Win7 also. Maybe yes or maybe no. Regardless it is fairly easy.

On the right is TeamViewer connecting and playing XBMC Gotham 13.2, which is actually the only thing displayed on Win10. As you know, TeamViewer displays what the host displays.

On the left is RDC connecting to WMC in the background, (possibly in a different user account) or more likely (a 2nd instance of the same user account) When using RDC Win10 doesn't even show it has someone connected to it.

In the other screen capture, that is the same Win7 connecting to the same Win10 using RDC. The 3 connections across the top are Live TV. The 2 across the bottom are Recorded TV. This maxed out the resources of the Crappy Lappy (Win10)

As far as I know, the quantity of connections using RDC is only limited by the resources of the host. In other words I believe you can have as many as you want.

Note the date on RdpPatch27 That should tell you where to look in the MDL MegaThread to get the Patch.
Attachments
RdpPatch027.JPG
WmcRemoteDesktop-XbmcTeamviewer001.JPG

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 pm

If one could get WMC running in RDP in FULL SCREEN (not a custom res setting), then the dream of Softstream would be true... (something I was hitting Microsoft HARD on the Vista and 7 beta program)

Teamviewer works but, gave me issues with protected content and even over the local lan, performance for watching live tv was questionable. Over a remote location, it didn't work that well at all (slide show), as RDP running in WMP full screen runs flawless at a remote location, so, WMC would perform better with full screen over RDP from a remote location.

Crash, were you able to get Live TV playing back ? That is one reason why I put this to the side, I could never get live tv playing over RDP, only recorded tv (or other media content)

Truth be told, I only did it on Windows 7. I was thinking on my HTPC, I was going to TRASH my Windows 8.1 wmc partition and install a copy of 7 home premium I have to take the 10 upgrade for possable WMC use. So, it's there ready incase we get RDP working in full screen with WMC...

If I get time this weekend, maybe I'll prep it for testing....time ? What's that ? LOL
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:06 pm

3 live, 2 recorded, plus xbmc 13.2 streaming a streaming to the phone over WAN. It all works great. Lan, Wan, local.

Using hdhr-3cc might be the difference. In the past, I had nothing but problems trying to get infini4 setup for network properly. It never was 100% for me. No complaints local though.

One thing for the full screen problem that I never tried, was match the screen to the output. Kinda hard to do with the crappy lappy and it's 1366 by 768 Going To A Set Of missmatched CRT's from 1980