I lost ability to control WMC via IR!

tamorgen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tamorgen » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:43 pm

JonDeutsch wrote:
tamorgen wrote: Jon,
I do have a Logitech (Harmony) remote. It frankly sucks, and so does their support. My model is an older one (Harmony 880), but it was their top of the line at the time, and I've yet to get it to fully work with Windows properly. If you could get it to play nice, you'd have to get support to assist, which in my experience has been less than useless. The main issue I've had with it, is that whenever a key is pressed that should do something in Windows, I get a never ending loop of inputs that won't let me do anything until I restart the computer.

I've contemplated upgrading to a newer remote, but based upon my experiences with the 880, and their support, I'm leary to drop any more money on their products.
I actually have 3 880's and I love them and never want to give them up! That said, I do NOT use my Harmony 880's to control Windows. Why do you need the 880 to control Windows if you're looking to make it wife-friendly? Or are you saying that you can't get it to control WMC? Mine controls WMC perfectly; never had an issue in the 5 years or so I've had them.
You have been luckier than I. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't work with Windows properly. And yes, when I saw Windows, I do mean WMC. It might be an incompatibility with the I/R driver or something, but I got zero support from Logitech on this.

JonDeutsch

Post by JonDeutsch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:03 pm

tamorgen wrote:
JonDeutsch wrote:
tamorgen wrote: Jon,
I do have a Logitech (Harmony) remote. It frankly sucks, and so does their support. My model is an older one (Harmony 880), but it was their top of the line at the time, and I've yet to get it to fully work with Windows properly. If you could get it to play nice, you'd have to get support to assist, which in my experience has been less than useless. The main issue I've had with it, is that whenever a key is pressed that should do something in Windows, I get a never ending loop of inputs that won't let me do anything until I restart the computer.

I've contemplated upgrading to a newer remote, but based upon my experiences with the 880, and their support, I'm leary to drop any more money on their products.
I actually have 3 880's and I love them and never want to give them up! That said, I do NOT use my Harmony 880's to control Windows. Why do you need the 880 to control Windows if you're looking to make it wife-friendly? Or are you saying that you can't get it to control WMC? Mine controls WMC perfectly; never had an issue in the 5 years or so I've had them.
You have been luckier than I. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't work with Windows properly. And yes, when I saw Windows, I do mean WMC. It might be an incompatibility with the I/R driver or something, but I got zero support from Logitech on this.
I can guarantee you it's not Logitech. It's most likely your IR receiver and/or Driver. What are you using on your HTPC?

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:48 am

Just a thought/suggestion for an alternative approach on this issue:- :think:

First off get a Windows Media Center IR remote (not wifi which in my experience respond poorly), it does not need to be from MS there are plenty of very cheap clones arround, some even have mouse capability and are not too complicated which is important (WAF), what is important though is that it has been designed specifically for WMC use.
Once you are happy with the remote look to use it with the Pulse 8 CEC adaptor to control the TV/AV standby and AV volume, this should be possible without going to Event Ghost. You should then have full control over WMC, volume and standby of HDMI connected devices, which I think is all you need, using just the WMC remote. In my experience although it is possible to get the TV remote to control some of the WMC functions (often with delayed or with multiple button presses) it is still the TV remote and will never be as good a match for both capability and functionality as a directly connected WMC remote.

londonfog

Post by londonfog » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:19 am

I started having a similar error where my remote input would just stop working. I might be able to put in an input or two, but it was mostly unresponsive.

I discovered it had to do with balloons and alerts occurring in the background of windows. Basically whenever some background alert that I wasn't even aware of occurred, my WMC became unresponsive to IR input. I found I had to alt+tab or close wmc 7 and click around a bit and click around on the start menu to change the Win7 OS "focus" and then restart or go back to WMC for functionality to return.

I use a Logitech Harmony Home hub with the basic remote, and have IR on the HTPC.