Any way to find out what didn't record when power was out?

jimnms

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any way to find out what didn't record when power was out?

Post by jimnms » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Some bad storms knocked my power out a couple of days ago and it's just now being restored. Except for a few shows, I don't know exactly what records and when, I just set it to record stuff I like and watch it when I'm ready. I do check the schedule every few days for scheduling conflicts and I know there were shows scheduled for Thursday and Friday, which didn't get recorded because the power was out. I know if something doesn't record due to a conflict or some other reason when the computer is on, it logs it in the event log, but is there any way to find out what didn't record while the computer was off?

I've already looked at next Thursday and Friday's scheduled recordings to see what regular shows didn't record, but I don't know if there were any one-time recordings I scheduled or possibly something that came on this past Thursday or Friday and doesn't come one next week. I've looked at some online TV guides and I was able to find Friday's guide, but none of them show more than one previous day so I don't know what I missed on Thursday.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Might show up in RecordedTV/ViewScheduled/History as something that was scheduled to record, but didn't.

On the UPside, if it is still Scheduled, it will pick it up on the next showing.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:41 pm

You should be able to find it in the Eventviewer log. Open eventviewer (I typically type it in the search bar) - when it opens, expand "Applications and Services Logs". Click "Media Center". Scroll through the list until the time where the power went back on and there should be a log of the missed recording(s). Double click the message to see the details. You can also move up and down the messages from that popup by using the arrows on the right of the "Event Properties" window.

To make your search easier click "Filter Current Log..." on the right of the eventviewer and select the checkbox for "Warning" which will filter out all the other messages. Mine did have a log Waring for the Flash: "Portions of The Flash: Power Outage may not have been recorded. A signal loss occurred during the recording." So you would see something similar for your missed shows.

jimnms

Post by jimnms » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:35 am

I already looked in the RecordedTV/ViewScheduled/History, I too thought it showed up there, but there is nothing there about missed recordings. The event viewer doesn't log missed recordings when the power is out or log what was missed when the system comes back up, I already checked that.

I know it will record what was missed, so somewhere, somehow it does know what was missed while it was down. It already caught a late night rerun of one of the shows, but a couple of the shows that came on Friday don't have reruns. One of them I'm not worried about and was already thinking about canceling it. I watched the pilot episode, but haven't watched it since. The other Friday show is one I do watch, although I'm behind on it, as I am on most shows. I do that on some shows that have short or split seasons so I can binge watch them.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:29 am

Try your question in the EPG Section. Somebody in Rovi Guide Data Quality might have a better answer for you.....

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9026

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 am

I thought it would log something to the History/Event Viewer, but I don't remember if the machine is completely off it it logs or not.

For one-dot recordings, I believe it will record the show/episode the next time it airs, no matter when it airs (maybe even on any channel).
For Series recordings, it will only record missed episodes if the setting is "New & Rerun" or if the episode airs within 7 days of the initial airing (for "New").
The 7 day thing assumes the episode has the correct OAD (Original Air Date).