Skylake and newer CPUs/HW will only be supported on Win 10

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Skylake and newer CPUs/HW will only be supported on Win 10

Post by Ed  » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:00 am

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... indows-10/

Keep this in mind - if your HW fails in the future - if you can't/don't get something that's Broadwell or lower generation - you won't be able to use(?)/receive OS updates Windows 7/8.1 with it. Would also mean there's no reason for HW manufacturers to make drivers for 7/8.1 with newer HW going forward - if you even wanted to use the OS on the newer HW without any updates. More bad news for the people sticking with 7/8.1 for WMC.

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:51 pm

I an using a skylake cpu with windows 7 no issue

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:35 pm

audinutt wrote:I an using a skylake cpu with windows 7 no issue
Windows 7 doesn't support the new features in Skylake like speedshift; only the newest Win 10 build does, for example. Any new Skylake+ products will not be supported by MS on 7/8.1 as stated by them (if you read the article). And the 'be able to use at all' question is for architecture(s) beyond Skylake - if MS doesn't support them period, then it remains to be seen if the HW manufactures will even make 7/8.1 drivers for the HW (chipset/mobo).

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:20 pm

This seems like it is a response to the IDC PC sales decline. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2497906,00.asp

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Ed  wrote:
audinutt wrote:I an using a skylake cpu with windows 7 no issue
Windows 7 doesn't support the new features in Skylake like speedshift; only the newest Win 10 build does, for example. Any new Skylake+ products will not be supported by MS on 7/8.1 as stated by them (if you read the article). And the 'be able to use at all' question is for architecture(s) beyond Skylake - if MS doesn't support them period, then it remains to be seen if the HW manufactures will even make 7/8.1 drivers for the HW (chipset/mobo).
Screw MS, they are getting worse and worse as a company when it comes to this type of stuff. Come July (when free Windows 10 ends), Upgrades to Windows 10 will slow down, big time. When a upgrade costs $99 and Windows 7 or 8.1 is doing it's job fine, why upgrade ? People who use Windows Media Center fall into this group, no solid reason to upgrade to Windows 10 (the hacked version of WMC works but, has it's issues)

When a OS is still supported (Windows 7 till 2020 and Windows 8.1 till 2025ish), they need to provide a certain level of support and in current hardware in this time frame. I would not be shocked if we saw a few lawsuits on this at some point.

I would bet Intel will start making correct drivers for it. After all, sales for CPUs will drop if people NEED to use Windows 7 or 8.1 and people know that they WILL not support the newer CPUS. This would cause a major drop in sales.

Time will tell but, I will be using Windows 7 and 8.1 for a long time to come...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

stokd

Post by stokd » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:33 pm

I never would have thought Microsoft will be the reason I ditch cable.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:29 pm

stokd wrote:I never would have thought Microsoft will be the reason I ditch cable.
Is Microsoft the only reason you still have cable? I ditched cable a month ago, but I would have dumped cable a couple of years ago if not for Microsoft. I'm still using WMC for the 6TB of content I have recorded. :D

werds

Post by werds » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Yea, saw that earlier elsewhere... Well with them moving away from WMC with Xbone - I figured I could move through it... with them, keeping WMC out of Win10... I was annoyed but was like MEH, I could still use Win7 until it dies... with this, they have put an falsely created expiration date on it.... so the various extra PC's that might have carried a Windows license are far less likely to in our household. Just sad that such an awesome DVR system is being killed off... even my wife hates it as she constantly points out the things our DirecTV genie system doesn't do as well as WMC did for us... I was hoping to try and go back in 2 years when the DirecTV contract ends but at this point I might just start putting together the funds and new system in place for whole home content sharing...