WMC / Xbox 360 Extender - Menu GUI Freezing?

dabretty

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC / Xbox 360 Extender - Menu GUI Freezing?

Post by dabretty » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:28 am

I've recently had a weird issue creep up on me, one that I hadn't seen in the past. I'm using two Xbox 360's and two Ceton Echo's for extenders.

With growing frequency, it looks like the WMC interface crashes/freezes when it hasn't been used in a little while.

One way of this occurring is when I simply turn on the extender, and let it sit at the main menu for a period of minutes (say, I walk away and come back ten minutes later). The WMC GUI is unresponsive at this point. The Xbox is responsive, however (big round Xbox button takes me to the Xbox menu overlay).

Additionally - and perhaps stranger - is when I am watching TV (I think maybe only Live TV, but I'm not 100% certain yet). If I just let it play for some period of time, at some point I can't change the channel or get the WMC menu back. Yet, the (live) TV will continue to play.

In both cases, powering off the extender and powering it back on temporarily resolves it. However, it just rears its ugly head sometime later.

Anybody have any suggestions? I haven't dived too much into the logs yet, as I've made it harder on myself by power-cycling the WMC PC itself (headless), which has generated a bunch of other errors, naturally.

Thanks.

dabretty

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by dabretty » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:24 am

Quick follow-up to this, for anyone interested.

After a little bit more troubleshooting and failed attempts at restoring WMC (disabling/re-enabling) due to apparent corruption, it looks like I am battling a slowly-dying SSD. Fortunately I recently started using Clonezilla and had a copy of the disk backed up on a NAS ... so I could quickly/painlessly blow out the disk, restore it to its pre-corruption state, and be on my way. I will get around to replacing the drive in the not-so-distant future.

After this experience I highly recommend Clonezilla! With young kids, I just don't have the time to play around with this as much anymore, and CZ just "made it work" again.