Need Help: Xbox 360 vs HTPC

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Greg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need Help: Xbox 360 vs HTPC

Post by Greg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:30 am

The only thing that I don't like about the Xbox 360 as an extender is in the playback of DVD and Blu Ray rips. I would like playback quality as close as possible to what you would get off of the disc, including the various audio formats. I don't want to transcode. For the TV's in the bedrooms transcoding may be OK, but I need a high quality system for the main theater room.

What are the pros and cons of using an HTPC connected directly to the TV and connected via the network to a server pc? Both, the server and the HTPC would be running Windows 7, probably 64 bit. The media center would be WMC 7.

- Would the HTPC use the WMC in the server pc, just as an extender would.........same UI?

- Would the HTPC need to use its own WMC?

- I assume that the HTPC would be able to playback the native ripped format or any other format that it has been re-encoded too?

- Are there any limitations........I read that an HTPC cannot view live TV, whereas the Xbox 360 can........is this true?

- Now, because I only need the high quality video and audio in the theater room, would it make more sense to use the Xbox 360 for all of the TV stuff, photos, music, etc and run an HDMI cable from the server pc directly to the TV (or AVR).......no need for an HTPC then. I would need a good quality video card, however and I'm not sure about running 50' of HDMI cable from the server to the TV.

If I would need a two box solution to get the functionality of the Xbox 360 for live TV, etc. and an HTPC for quality HD video then it would probably make more sense to get an XBox 360 and a Dune player. The Dune player is supposed to be able play nearly all types of video formats and it gets very good reviews.

Any other ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07 pm

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Plug the HTPC directly into your main TV, and go.

If you are storing shows on a server somewhere, point 7MC to the server's storage location as a location where TV shows are stored. You can't record to the server, but 7MC will happily play shows from the server location if they're there.

There's no downside to hooking the PC directly to the TV.

If your 7MC is remote from the TV you want to watch it on, an extender is your best bet. Windows cannot act as an extender. Can you set up a second 7MC box and watch the shows that the first 7MC box recorded? It's a bit of work and you can't watch live TV and it isn't a great setup overall.

Since you need the HQ stuff only in one place, make that the place where your 7MC lives.

It sounds like you're using a remote server to record TV; you can do that if you're using extenders and are just watching recorded TV. But you want a PC on your TV so you can do more, so just make that PC the recording PC as well. You can still store your movies on your server; 7MC will find them just fine.

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Another PC (HTPC) can not act as an extender. The HTPC would use its own UI. The HTPC can reference all the same content (video, music, photo's, recorded TV) as the server. Unless you purchase other hardware/software, the HTPC can not access the TV tuners (live TV) from the server.

In my house, I did run 40 feet of HDMI and USB (for the remote) from my WMC server to both my projector AND my TV using a HDMI splitter. Both also have a XBOX 360. The benefit is that at least one at a time, I get full server functionality (no issues with Bluray or live TV) on either device. HDMI cable is fairly cheap. Works like a charm.

At one time I had one server (with four TV tuners) for all content, and two HTPC's. Waste of time, money, and electricity.
Last edited by Danno100 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

Greg

Post by Greg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks adam1991and Danno100 for your explanations and advice. I now understand what can and cannot be done.

So, the possibilities, as I see it are:

1. use one box as server with tuners and HTPC with WMC 7 for the primary TV and place this box near the TV. This will allow more options as far as quality DVD / BD playback are concerned. Xbox 360's can be placed in other rooms to extend WMC 7 and get access to the server.

- PROS: quality DVD / BD playback, one box for the primary TV, web surfing, etc.
- CONS: as this will be a server it will contain, potentially, a significant number of hard drives - NOISE is the
issue

2. Keep the server with tuners in a remote location (original plan) and run a long HDMI cable to the primary TV and use Xbox 360 to access WMC7 for all live and recorded TV, music, photos and switch inputs on the TV to watch DVD / BD rips

- PROS: keeps noisy server isolated, still able to achieve quality DVD / BD playback
- CONS: must switch inputs between Xbox 360 and HDMI from server on TV or AVR, need to remotely control
the server to select and output video playback - possibly, RF keyboard??

3. Just use Xbox 360's in all locations (including the primary TV) to access a remote server with WMC 7.

- PROS: one box solution (not including extenders)
- CONS: compromised DVD / BD playback

So, one other question:

How compromised is MP4 compared to an optical disk playback? Are you giving up much playing back through the Xbox 360?

Thanks again for your advice and comments,
Greg

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01 pm

You've got it.

I watch the actual physical DVD, so I can't help you there.

Regarding #2, is switching inputs on the TV--one for recorded TV, one for movies--that big of a hassle? Frankly, I like #2. Get an RF keyboard, or get a setup that runs the IR/kb/mouse signals down an ethernet cable to the remote server, and it's problem solved.

Ack

Post by Ack » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 pm

adam1991 wrote:You've got it.

I watch the actual physical DVD, so I can't help you there.

Regarding #2, is switching inputs on the TV--one for recorded TV, one for movies--that big of a hassle? Frankly, I like #2. Get an RF keyboard, or get a setup that runs the IR/kb/mouse signals down an ethernet cable to the remote server, and it's problem solved.
Adam - you've piqued my interest; what kind of setup runs the IR/kb/mouse signals down an ethernet cable? I may just be in a dense mode but I haven't heard of this or think of a way it might be done. It sounds interesting.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:15 am

Well, I dunno offhand, but I know I've heard of it.

If you can simply get a long USB extension and route it appropriately, you can use a wireless kb/mouse combo like one of these and simply plug the RF receiver into the extension cable:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/722vknb

switch inputs on the TV and now you're watching the remote server, and can control it accordingly.

If your remote server is running XBMC or Boxee or whatever third party software to handle your rips, you can also get an RF remote that will handle the whole shooting match: local IR for the XBox, RF for watching movies. TV source button for switching between them. Keyboard/mouse combo is there for the few times you need it (I use the tiny Rii unit, or one just like it).

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:20 am

If you plan on watching blurays via the Xbox, the BEST you will be able to do is to rip them down to wmv9.wma10 files. This is the only way to get the video with 5.1 audio and a high bitrate. wmvs can go up to 15mb bitrate at 1080p. Mp4s can only do about half that (as far as what the Xbox can reasonably handle anyway).

So, if you don't need a shared guide/dvr.. Go the htpc route. Make it a small one with just the essentials and store all the data on a server that can be stuck in a basement or something.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

Greg

Post by Greg » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:41 am

TheOsburnFamil wrote:If you plan on watching blurays via the Xbox, the BEST you will be able to do is to rip them down to wmv9.wma10 files. This is the only way to get the video with 5.1 audio and a high bitrate. wmvs can go up to 15mb bitrate at 1080p. Mp4s can only do about half that (as far as what the Xbox can reasonably handle anyway).
Thanks for the info. Do you have any experience how this compares to the physical disc? I know it won't be the same, just looking for reference.

Thanks,
Greg

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:29 am

I'm just about done going through my entire bd collection using dvdfab's bluray ripper option to Xbox and selecting the wmv.wma10 profile, removing HD audio for 5.1 digital and 15mb nitrate for all the rips, and keeling the resolution at 1080o.

Depending on the movie, the result is either near perfect or barely noticeable.

Reasons are 1) some movies don't go above 15mb anyway 2) wmv9advanced is vc1 which many movies are already, and 3) I still only have a 720p tv.

So for us, it was easier than switching signal inputs to a bluray player.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:30 am

Btw I posted the above from my phone. Pardon the errors.

Greg

Post by Greg » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 am

TheOsburnFamil,

Thanks for the reply. That's fantastic news.............means I could use the Xbox 360 for everything, or just about everything.

From a phone.........not bad! I'm having trouble using my keyboard.........making good use of the spell checker! :oops:

Thanks again,
Greg

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:58 am

TheOsburnFamil wrote:I'm just about done going through my entire bd collection using dvdfab's bluray ripper option to Xbox and selecting the wmv.wma10 profile, removing HD audio for 5.1 digital and 15mb nitrate for all the rips, and keeling the resolution at 1080o.
how long does it take for this process to run on dvdfab? and what's the specs of the machine you're using to do it?

thanks
Greg wrote:.............means I could use the Xbox 360 for everything, or just about everything
yeh its a really sweet machine.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:13 am

Corei3-540 / H57 / 4gb ddr3
I use all software based encoding instead of any gpu based as I have seen sporadic issues with you encoding.

As such, the amount of time depends on the bluray. They all get done to the same specs like I said before (wmv9 adv. wmapro10, 1080p and 15mb bitrate). All done with one pass (since I'm using constant bitrate instead of variable, there's no significant benefit to two pass encoding.

On average, if it's a cgi-based movie then it gets done in about 6-7 hours. For a full movie usually about 8 hours or so.

asm495

Post by asm495 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Just thought I would share my experiences. For about 6 years I ran a configuration where I had a HTPC directly attached to the TV. Later I had a separate server (originaly Server 2003 then WHS) which I used for storing all movies, music etc. I then used a Linksys extender for another room. This solution worked but I did not like having to have 2 PCs to manage all of this. The HTPC was set to go into standby when not in use but this often seemed to cause problems and my wife quite often had issues with things.

What I moved to was one "server" machine running Windows 7. This was stuck away in my garage with a screen attached but rarely used. All the TV tuners were in this PC along with all the storage. Originally I ran just the raw drives with a duplication system set up for important files but I have now started using Drive Bender to provide what I lost in Drive Extender when moving away from WHS. The 2 main TV watching rooms I put in Xbox 360s as Extenders. Backup of this and other PCs is provided by Acronis True Image.

The resulting solution generally has far fewer issues. The server is rarely "used" which keeps maintenance fairly simple. Just having the Xbox as Extenders means that I only need to have these on when watching TV and maintenance of these is easy. My wife rarely has any issues with it now plus I get the benefit of only ever needing to keep 1 PC on.

I much prefer my new setup with the HTPC not connected to the TV.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:01 pm

What does connecting it to the TV do that not connecting it to the TV prevents?

It seems to me your choice to move everything to one machine running Win7 has nothing to do with stability and ease of use. It could still be connected to the TV instead of being stuck out in the garage; either way, it's doing the same work.

Watching TV directly from the server isn't "using" it any more than having it serve an extender to do the same thing.

The real meat of your situation seems to be that you took a real mess of a variety of components and did away with it all, and went back to your original successful configuration of MC as a simple DVR. Your problems came about when you tried to keep the old HTPC cobbled together and extended to serve new needs using add-on servers and a non-Microsoft extender, instead of just building a whole new single MC machine with more capability to meet the new needs.

Oh--one thing you lose by not using the 7MC machine itself to view MC is Netflix. 7MC has Netflix built in; XBox requires XBox Gold in order to watch Netflix, which costs money and is ridiculous.

Also, as I discovered this weekend, I have to have a separate XBox Live login for each XBox just to have the ability to watch ripped DVDs (m4v) on each XBox. Silly.

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 pm

adam1991 wrote:Oh--one thing you lose by not using the 7MC machine itself to view MC is Netflix. 7MC has Netflix built in; XBox requires XBox Gold in order to watch Netflix, which costs money and is ridiculous.

The WMC7 netflix plugin sucks; look at all the threads on this forum and tgb.com talking about the problems, and how there's no support because MS and netflix just blame each other for its problems.

anyhow, the xbox 360's netflix app is superior in picture quality and it never freezes up on me, or takes 5 minutes to load.

it stinks to have to pay extra just to use an app you pay extra for, but i have zero headaches or glitches in the whole media center experience using the extenders over the computer.

Greg

Post by Greg » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:35 pm

adam1991 wrote:Oh--one thing you lose by not using the 7MC machine itself to view MC is Netflix. 7MC has Netflix built in; XBox requires XBox Gold in order to watch Netflix, which costs money and is ridiculous.
I found this add-in: http://tubecentric.tv/

I don't know much about it, but it doesn't require an XBox Gold membership.
adam1991 wrote:Also, as I discovered this weekend, I have to have a separate XBox Live login for each XBox just to have the ability to watch ripped DVDs (m4v) on each XBox. Silly.
I hope this is the free version and not Gold?

Greg

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:37 pm

brantmacga wrote:

The WMC7 netflix plugin sucks; look at all the threads on this forum and tgb.com talking about the problems, and how there's no support because MS and netflix just blame each other for its problems.

anyhow, the xbox 360's netflix app is superior in picture quality and it never freezes up on me, or takes 5 minutes to load.

it stinks to have to pay extra just to use an app you pay extra for, but i have zero headaches or glitches in the whole media center experience using the extenders over the computer.
I have zero glitches using XBox as an extender; it pisses me off thinking I'd have to spend $50/year for the privilege of seeing my Netflix sub on my XBox.

Meanwhile the 7MC Netflix plugin is rock solid for me, and the quality is as good as just backing out of 7MC and using the web browser. I don't know what anyone else may be doing or seeing.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Greg wrote:
adam1991 wrote:Also, as I discovered this weekend, I have to have a separate XBox Live login for each XBox just to have the ability to watch ripped DVDs (m4v) on each XBox. Silly.
I hope this is the free version and not Gold?

Greg
Yes, free version. Still remains silly; I have to have multiple Live "memberships" just to enable this.