Playready fails after clone

Todd.Heiks

HTPC Specs: Show details

Playready fails after clone

Post by Todd.Heiks » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:20 am

After I cloned my hd, I can play previously recorded protected content, but when I try to view live protected content, I get the playready fail update message. Playready successfully installs from msi, but I still get the error. Waxing drm allows live viewing of protected content, but I loose all my recordings. Is there a fix?

Todd.Heiks

Post by Todd.Heiks » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Does Microsoft have an official disaster recovery solution for Media Center?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:26 pm

There is something called "Reset Playready". Unfortunately, once you run it you loose access to your protected recordings.

Others have claimed to transfer playready from the old drive to the new drive, without loosing the recordings.

Any time I had to mess with it, I just bit the bullet and went fresh.

How much would you loose?

....and....

Do you still have the old drive?

Todd.Heiks

Post by Todd.Heiks » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:33 pm

>>>>
Others have claimed to transfer playready from the old drive to the new drive, without loosing the recordings.
<<<<
I didn't loose any recordings, I just can't see/record new protected content.

>>>>
. . . "Reset Playready". Unfortunately, once you run it you loose access to your protected recordings.
<<<<
Yes, reset playready = delete drm.

>>>>
How much would you loose?
<<<<
My children in the Thanksgiving parade. Everything else I legally recorded is readily available, but why should I have to break the law?

The larger point here is, what was the intended DR model? It is difficult to believe that the only recourse I have is to hack the DRM.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Im not sure how to recover from that one. Just trying to get a few more facts in hope someone else knows what to do.

Are you sure the "kids in the parade" file is protected?

There is a way to check.....

Navigate to your recorded tv folder
Change the view to details
Right click the top line...just to the right of name date type size
scroll down to More
put a checkmark in protected
click OK
Attachments
Protected001.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 pm

I think I understand now. You can play the file now, but you don't want to mess with playready in case you break it.

If you break it you might loose the parade.

Gotcha.

Todd.Heiks

Post by Todd.Heiks » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks for looking at my issue Crash. Yes, unfortunately, the parade is protected. I found a wtv 2 mpg converter but it doesn't work. Is there such a thing, or am I going to have to do a screen capture?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:57 am

You can play it.........RIGHT?

You just cant watch LIVE.....RIGHT

Don't do anything until we get a pro in here.

Now exactly what did you do? It sounds like you cloned the drive, then erased the original, then installed the clone.

Could you explain ALL what you did to get to this point, including what software you used for the clone.

Or do you still have the original drive with the original OS on it?

Todd.Heiks

Post by Todd.Heiks » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:14 pm

The original drive failed a Seagate tools test. I cloned it in the original pc with Acronis. It works, but errors out occasionally.
I have set the original drive aside and installed the new clone. It has been running for a week or so with no issues.

It will play all my old protected files. I can watch unprotected channels. When I try to watch HBO, I get the "Playready failed to update" error.
I downloaded PlayReadyPC_x64.msi from Microsoft and it installs successfully, but I continue to get the "Playready failed to update" error.

I continued to follow advice as to how to fix my Playready error that involved removing and reinstalling MCE. At that point I could watch all channels including HBO and other new protected content. However I lost rights to all my previously recorded programs.

At that point I wiped my new drive and cloned my old drive again. Currently, I can watch my old recordings, but nothing new and protected.

I had done this back when I was using XP and I had no issues. This is the first disk failure that I have had since switching to Win 7.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:01 pm

There is a file on the old drive that is the "heart" of PlayReady. I read about a guy that claimed to do a transplant from the old to the new. Acronis was one of the tools he used. I'll see what I can dig up. It was awhile back.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:12 pm

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ink#p48019

mspr.hds is one of the files you need from the old drive. You might want to search mspr.hds here at thegreenbutton. There likely are several ways to skin this cat.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Here is the other one I was looking for

[list=] http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/ ... 6 [/list]