Slow guide issues

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
SilverRubicon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Slow guide issues

Post by SilverRubicon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Has anyone else's guide become very slow over the last day or two? Mine has gone south very, very quickly. I was able to delete a few old guide data files which help a small amount but it's still slow to display. It was fine yesterday. I have had nothing but praise for WMC over the last 6 years but the last two months have been rough. :evil:

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:33 pm

Check to see if Rovi is sending too large/too uncompressed images again is my first guess:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ompression

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:17 am

Thanks, tried all of that but none of it helped. My cpu spikes when I pull up the guide and running mcupdate.exe brings the machine to it's knees. It's definitely a guide data issue, i just don't know what it is. Frustrating.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:14 am

I pulled this from another thread, but this worked for me...
B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
-Open Task Scheduler - Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
-In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
-Close Task Scheduler
Leaving it here in case someone else is having problems. FYI, this is not without it's own risks and rewards. I had to rebuild my custom guide and others have had more serious issues. I would suggest backing up you c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome directory before trying this out.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Did you have to re-run tv setup after? Did your scheduled recordings remain?

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:48 pm

3rob3 wrote:Did you have to re-run tv setup after? Did your scheduled recordings remain?
Did not have to re-run tv setup and the scheduled recordings remained. Simply had to recreate my favorite channel lists. I found this solution in a thread about sporting events and all teams listed as "TBA". After running this task all of my college football games had team names and not "TBA". My guide db file also was half the size. This is just another indication that this new guide data from Microsoft is incorrect.

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:08 pm

PC:
Windows 7
AMD Phenom x4 9750 2.4GHZ
4 GB RAM
Radeon R7 240 GPU

Since the Rovi switch over, my entire PC slows down to a crawl and freezes up sometimes when it's getting the 'Latest Guide Listings'. Once that's done, it's fine again. No such issues before the switch over.