Accessories for Nexus Player

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Accessories for Nexus Player

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Walmart has/had the Nexus Player on sale $49.99 so of course had to pick up 5 since the news yesterday came out that they will be getting the Marshmallow OS. This is supposed to give us mpeg2 support on the HW level. So the question now is; can you post the part numbers that have worked for you when it comes to the accessories to get these things onto the wired network and external memory and side loaded apps? Mainly the file explorer app on the side loading. I believe the ES? is the easiest to install since it is on the app store? But I have seen many OTG peripherals and want to make sure I get the correct stuff that others have had success with. Also I see if you do not go micro usb they have OTG gig speed adapters. If I went with a normal Micro Mini USB Hub could I then pair off that with the standard USB connection with the gig OTG? Or does the device not even handle Gig so it would be a waste? Also can I connect a xbox controller using the usb adapters etc to get a game controller onto it; and lastly do I need external power to the hub if I do not attach a HD to it? Thanks in advance.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:24 pm

IownFIVENexi
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:34 pm

STC wrote:IownFIVENexi
Can't commit to that these may go back; depends on how it works out. I have to buy things in fives to cover all TV's. I have been burnt by xbox, roku, and of course the wonderful echos! Burnt is a strong word; trying to find that television nirvana. Waiting on SD to come out with something and see if these things are silky smooth off it. The TiVo deal is sold out so that's off the table for now. Was on the fence with these until yesterday because I thought a new version was going to be introduced. Best Buy had these last week and I was too afraid of the announcement of new hardware. But looks like these will live for awhile. I am looking and looking at the OTG stuff and it is too broad so I would love to hear from someone with a part number from amazon which works well for Ethernet and USB hub. Thanks again.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:01 pm

I use this OTG/USB hub with success:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L32 ... ge_o06_s00
Not to dash your hopes, but mine is sitting unused in a box for now. The Marshmallow update (even the preview available now) does provide hardware Mpeg2 support, but the full WMC like experience just isn't there. The remotes suck, so I tried an FLIRC but the Nexus Player support just isn't quite there (no proper Home button support). Kodi works decently enough, but in the end everything just felt kludgey to me. An Xbox 360 as extender, and the dashboard providing the streaming apps is a much better experience (at least for me).

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:02 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Walmart has/had the Nexus Player on sale $49.99 so of course had to pick up 5 since the news yesterday came out that they will be getting the Marshmallow OS. This is supposed to give us mpeg2 support on the HW level. So the question now is; can you post the part numbers that have worked for you when it comes to the accessories to get these things onto the wired network and external memory and side loaded apps? Mainly the file explorer app on the side loading. I believe the ES? is the easiest to install since it is on the app store? But I have seen many OTG peripherals and want to make sure I get the correct stuff that others have had success with. Also I see if you do not go micro usb they have OTG gig speed adapters. If I went with a normal Micro Mini USB Hub could I then pair off that with the standard USB connection with the gig OTG? Or does the device not even handle Gig so it would be a waste? Also can I connect a xbox controller using the usb adapters etc to get a game controller onto it; and lastly do I need external power to the hub if I do not attach a HD to it? Thanks in advance.
I use ES File explorer cause it's the only one controllable from TV without a mouse as far as I know. I would like Solid Explorer as that's my file explorer of choice, and just realized typing this I should prob email the dev for support.

GIg is a waste as it can only do 10/100 over OTG I remember learning from somewhere. Wifi on it is tech faster and better in this regard (haven't tested Wifi on mine).

Any OTG compatible with Android should tech work. I use this ugly son of a bitch cause it has ethernet + 3 USB all built in and can hide it easily and good enough (while still allowing FLIRC to receive IR signal) and was the cheapest at the time. No external power needed.

Ive used official wireless 360 controller with official and unofficial wireless 360 controller receiver for PC on the SHIELD. With the official receiver, everything works. With knock off receivers, the dpad doesn't work in the main OS interface, everything else does (use analogue here instead of dpad). With knockoff, gaming with controller still works 100% via moonlight app (not via official Nvidia Game Stream app on the SHIELD though), just not the OS part.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:09 pm

3rob3 wrote:I use this OTG/USB hub with success:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L32 ... ge_o06_s00
Not to dash your hopes, but mine is sitting unused in a box for now. The Marshmallow update (even the preview available now) does provide hardware Mpeg2 support, but the full WMC like experience just isn't there. The remotes suck, so I tried an FLIRC but the Nexus Player support just isn't quite there (no proper Home button support). Kodi works decently enough, but in the end everything just felt kludgey to me. An Xbox 360 as extender, and the dashboard providing the streaming apps is a much better experience (at least for me).
Great thanks, I will check that device out. I agree with you about the whole experience. I have hopes on the SD but I had hopes on the android echo too. Gullible/naïve I guess. Just clinging to hope! :) But the wife is starting to catch on to the tv guide sticking! Kids are telling me to change batteries in the remote because 'daddy the tv isn't responding to the remote'! So I see 'it has begun'. I have a ex4100 with 20TB (ready to go to work with the SD product) on it and I am just hoping to deal with the SD when it comes out. Probably in a few years :sick: But had to jump on the price of the Players for now. May return them. But had to give it a chance. Running out of choices... Thanks again for the reply.
Last edited by IownFIVEechos on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:11 pm

Ed  wrote:Any OTG compatible with Android should tech work. I use this ugly son of a bark cause it has ethernet + 3 USB all built in and can hide it easily and good enough (while still allowing FLIRC to receive IR signal) and was the cheapest at the time. No external power needed.
Ok thanks as well. Do you know if compares to the one above from Rob? I would hate to need external power.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Ordered the one Rob suggested. Should I throw a FLIRC on it too? That will allow me to use the media center remotes?

Edit: Did the suggested hub, flicr, usb micro reader, and already have the generic xbox receiver. Lets see what all this does. But adds up to about $90 so not sure if its such a great deal. Thanks again for the input I will report back on how well it goes.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Yes.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:48 pm

The whole 'moonlight app' just raised my eyebrows. Will I be able to use moonlight on the Players and play my STEAM games if my PC supports it? In essence making it like a 'steam link' device?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:50 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:The whole 'moonlight app' just raised my eyebrows. Will I be able to use moonlight on the Players and play my STEAM games if my PC supports it? In essence making it like a 'steam link' device?
Yes. Need a 650 Series GTX or above to do it. I have one for sale..... :wave:

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:06 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Ordered the one Rob suggested. Should I throw a FLIRC on it too? That will allow me to use the media center remotes?

Edit: Did the suggested hub, flicr, usb micro reader, and already have the generic xbox receiver. Lets see what all this does. But adds up to about $90 so not sure if its such a great deal. Thanks again for the input I will report back on how well it goes.
That OTG cable I listed does not require the power adapter (don't think it even comes with one). You can try an FLIRC, they work OK once you program everything (if you are using an RC6 or Xbox remote remember to program each button twice, they send a different code). There are a couple threads on the FLIRC forums you can read to see what button=what keyboard equivalent. Like I said though the Home button doesn't work and the best you can do is Alt-Tab if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I think you are better off putting this money towards a Tivo and Minis. Or investigating/fixing whatever is wrong with your WMC system. My guide does not freeze at all but have heard others mention this.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:10 pm

3rob3 wrote: You can try an FLIRC, they work OK once you program everything (if you are using an RC6 or Xbox remote remember to program each button twice, they send a different code). There are a couple threads on the FLIRC forums you can read to see what button=what keyboard equivalent. Like I said though the Home button doesn't work and the best you can do is Alt-Tab if I remember correctly.
I didn't have to do that so I'm assuming they fixed it in the app.

Home works, only thing I had to do was program OK button via app as Amazon Fire TV OK button and not keyboard enter when setting it up. Was pretty easy.

I wouldn't use it as a DVR though, just an app box. Tivo bolt is out you can see what apps it has.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Were you using an Microsoft RC6 or Xbox remote though? It's a known issue and is listed in their how-to. It is nothing they could fix in their app because those remotes physically send a different code the second time you press the same button (consecutively).
Here is where I learned of it:
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/ ... ess-issue/

I was also having more difficulty than most because I was trying to program the remote to work in both Android TV and Kodi. I did finally get it to work, but like you said it just wasn't good enough to use for everyday DVR use.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:24 pm

3rob3 wrote:Were you using an Microsoft RC6 or Xbox remote though? It's a known issue and is listed in their how-to. It is nothing they could fix in their app because those remotes physically send a different code the second time you press the same button (consecutively).
Here is where I learned of it:
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/ ... ess-issue/

I was also having more difficulty than most because I was trying to program the remote to work in both Android TV and Kodi. I did finally get it to work, but like you said it just wasn't good enough to use for everyday DVR use.
Harmony remote sending XBMC keyboard commands whatever that is (before doing FLIRC app programming).

Edit: I know the Harmonies sometimes send multiple hits no clue if it is or not here cause I never had to deal with it.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Yeah, that's the difference. You wouldn't have had my problem.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:01 pm

I put the Marshmallow onto one of these so hopefully I will have time to see it work. I overlooked it did not have HBO Go on it, so that is a downer right off the bat. But the micro usb worked great so thanks again for that info. Without being on my network I loaded up the HDHomerunView and saw it go to the settings page which had the hardware decoder checked. On a side note does anyone know how to load the settings page once you are in the app? On my tablets I can never get it to come up.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:I put the Marshmallow onto one of these so hopefully I will have time to see it work. I overlooked it did not have HBO Go on it, so that is a downer right off the bat. But the micro usb worked great so thanks again for that info. Without being on my network I loaded up the HDHomerunView and saw it go to the settings page which had the hardware decoder checked. On a side note does anyone know how to load the settings page once you are in the app? On my tablets I can never get it to come up.
HBO Go is stated as having an Android TV app coming Fall 2015 by Nvidia (exlusive to the SHIELD, or Android TV in general? - no clue). In the meantime, Chromecasting/casting HBO Go to the SHIELD or Nexus Player from an Android or iOS device (or PC) works 100% and is how everyone else is doing it.

http://shield.nvidia.com/blog/new-chann ... -to-shield

Hit the play/pause button a bunch/repeatedly (or Y if using gamepad) to get the HDHR View settings menu.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:35 pm

So I had about 10 minutes yesterday to test this and from what I saw I am very optimistic going forward with the SD solution. PQ was superb. One thing I might have noticed was that the DRM may not be working with Marshmallow? Is that possible. Can anyone confirm the Nexus Player on Marshmallow Final Release works for DRM. I only say this because FX channel did not come up and I think that is one of the few protected channels I have. At the time I did not think about it because I thought no DRM works in the VIEW program, but then I remembered it should in the Android world. Also the other program by google (I think called 'live tv'?) that has a EPG so what gives? I can see great promise if only SD would get us the EPG too. Hopefully they are trying to get the ok to use it and that takes 2 weeks :) Doubtful tho. Next will be FLIRC. Does FLIRC allow configs to be saved and reused. Meaning if I have a remote that someone else has setup can I grab that config?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Live TV DRM channels should work in both View and the Android Live TV app, but there is no way to record and play them back (yet). I don't have any DRM channels so I can't verify for you but others say it works
Yes, you can save your FLIRC config to a file. I haven't seen people sharing configs though, probably because everyone's needs/wants are different.