Missing cable channels

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
pittsoccer33

HTPC Specs: Show details

Missing cable channels

Post by pittsoccer33 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:55 pm

I thought my data moved over fine but I noticed tonight a few cable channels aren't listed anywhere in the guide. I know you can add ATSC/QAM channels but manually adding cable channels seems out of the question.

Am I just out of luck until Rovi fixes this? I noticed the same channels are missing in my Xbox One OneGuide (im off to hunt for answers on some Xbox forums now...)

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:03 am

Do the channels show up with one of the satellite providers?

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:59 am

What's your train of thought here? Are you trying to prove whether or not Rovi has listings for those channels in my market somewhere else or do you think I can spoof wmc into thinking I have a satellite stb to get it into my guide?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:47 pm

i think it is the latter, where you can get the guide info, and assign it to the right channel. For example, in my case, I had the DIY on the SD cable channel, but not on the HD version. Since the channel number was available from the tuner (HDHR), then all I had to do was to map the info to that channel. and give it the right number, etc.

So, if you can get the right guide info into the system, then you can possibly map it over to the right cable channel.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:56 pm

sbaeder wrote:i think it is the latter, where you can get the guide info, and assign it to the right channel. For example, in my case, I had the DIY on the SD cable channel, but not on the HD version. Since the channel number was available from the tuner (HDHR), then all I had to do was to map the info to that channel. and give it the right number, etc.

So, if you can get the right guide info into the system, then you can possibly map it over to the right cable channel.
Just so I understand you, you had the DIY channel (with listings) showing up as expected on the SD channel, but the guide didn't show the HD channel at all/acted like it didn't exist? Thats the issue I'm having with 2 of the channels. The third is an SD channel only.

Did you solve it by adding another provider to get the channel? I thought of trying that but wasn't sure how I could manually map the channel to my HDHR tuner source.

I wonder if Guide Tool could help me. My HDHR tuner is definitely getting the channels in question from Comcast - I can see it on the diagnostics page. WMC/Rovi just acts like they don't exist.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Mike88 wrote:Do the channels show up with one of the satellite providers?
Since you wanted to add the channel information I thought you might be using Guide Tool. I have not used it yet but supposedly you can use multiple program providers such as cable, satellite, etc in order to get guide date.

IIRC when I looked into this when Rovi started messing up the guide, the MSN guide website had either the cable or U-verse program data for what I was missing with for the OTA guide. Some postings said if MSN did not list the data then you would not get it. However since then I read that was not the case & that you should try an alternate program listing.

Perhaps Dish, DirecTV or U-verse might have what you need/want.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:35 pm

Guide Tool doesn't have a way to add channels that don't exist. It allows you to pull listings from various sources, but you need to have the channel showing up in WMC.

Another program I came across called Guide Editor seems promissing. Im going to try that tonight.

I also figured out how to report bad Rovi listings on the Xbox One. I'm hoping by doing that Rovi adds the missing channels to their guide listings and WMC maps it to the Comcast service.

To report them you go to settings, oneguide and tv, troubleshooting, report problem with a cable box, missing channels.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 pm

No you can add channels with guide tool so long as there is a mapping in your local/downloaded guide db to correlate with the added channel (doesn't have to be from your provider). It's how I added BBC America back to my guide when the Rovi switch happened and I was missing it ( and Rovi didn't have a listing for it on my provider ); but learned others here were adding their missing channels in with guide tool.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Click the tiny PCI tuner icon to add channels.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Where do you add a channel to the left hand list?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:53 pm

You either don't have the current version of guide tool (1.2.4) or your install is corrupt, or something else.

Your guide tool should look like this:

And when you click the green tuner icon in the upper left you get this:

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:03 pm

^ Malwarebytes is blocking imgur at present. Just FYI.

MB Staff member:

"It's blocked because the root cause of their issues has yet to be identified and resolved. Once this happens and is confirmed, the block will be removed."

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:05 pm

STC wrote:^ Malwarebytes is blocking imgur at present. Just FYI.

MB Staff member:

"It's blocked because the root cause of their issues has yet to be identified and resolved. Once this happens and is confirmed, the block will be removed."
It was being used to take down 8chan via botnet ddos. It's been found and patched, MB just hasn't gotten the notice yet apparently. Better that than never know in the first place.

http://imgur.com/blog/

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:11 pm

That or they are using extra caution and waiting until the dust settles. I quite like that approach if so. Your blog link is being blocked too lol.
No worries, it will clear soon enough I'm sure.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:14 pm

This bit is nasty (scraped from a paste):
"The vulnerability was patched yesterday evening and we’re no longer serving affected images, but as a precaution we recommend that you clear your browsing data, cookies, and localstorage."

So if you're an imgur user, time to do some housekeeping :cry:

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:20 pm

You wouldn't even know anyway, if you just loaded an image linked from imgur on some random site, like my image here. And imgur is one of, if not the biggest image hosting site (meant for just image sharing not like instagram or facebook) - so best to just do it all anyway.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:44 pm

I like how they say clear your local storage. That made me chortle.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Viewing the images would not trigger an infection should they be contaminated.

HTBruceM

Post by HTBruceM » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:02 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Where do you add a channel to the left hand list?

Click the little blue icon next to refresh. Then select ADD CHANNEL on each tuner. For cablecard you use the same virtual channel number (I.e. 754) in both boxes. I'm not sure what numbers you should use for ClearQAM or ATSC over the air but I'm sure someone here will pipe in for those.

Oops I didn't realize there were additional posts that already covered this...

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:30 pm

I pulled the screen shot I posted off the net, mine actually did look "correct" when I got home.

Thanks all for helping me sort that out. I was able to add them and it began pulling in listings immediately.