Video freezes when skipping forward

ctwib

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video freezes when skipping forward

Post by ctwib » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:27 am

I've recently upgraded my second and quite old HTPC with a SSD and have refreshed the windows 7 OS. All the drivers are up to date and the BIOS is the latest version from gigabyte, I've also re-installed silverlight and playready. The only software installed is norton and CCleaner. I'm now getting a problem that never happened before the upgrade: when watching recorded TV if I skip forward several times quickly (to avoid adverts etc.) the video freezes but the audio continues, the only way to get out of this is to either alt-tab to the desktop and close WMC or to put the pc to sleep with the remote and re-start, the problem does not occur if I wait about one second between each press of skip forward. Recorded TV is set to use the new SSD but the problem occurs with old recordings stored on the old HDD also, thinking that it's got something to with the hard disk drivers I have tried uninstalling them, re-booting and letting windows re-install the drivers but to no avail. Any ideas on what to try next?

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 mobo
AMD Athlon 64X2 3.00 GHz CPU
4GB RAM
SanDisk SSD Plus 120gb SSD
Hitachi HDT725040VLA360 400gb HDD
Radeon HD5450 graphics card
TBS 6981 DVB-S/S2 DUAL BDA tuner card
Windows Home premium SP1 x64 OS

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:43 pm

The easiest fix would be to toss Norton. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 121#p44121 Seems to me that Norton is unable to sniff your TV streams as fast as you want to watch them. Another thought might be, the CPU cant keep up with Norton's demands.

If you cant live without Antivirus, try one of the lightweights such as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

ctwib

Post by ctwib » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I've un-installed Norton and tried again with no joy, the problem's still there. I'm not so sure it's down to the CPU coping as Norton and quite a few of the bits of software that accumulate with an old installation didn't cause any issues before the new drive and refresh.
Could it be something to do with a 6gb/s drive being connected to a 3gb/s motherboard?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:14 pm

When is the last time you did a "Cold boot"?

Real Cold.... unplug the power....press the power button to clear residual......etc.

I shudder at the thought......but you might be needing this..... http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Ma ... _guide.pdf

Not much of a manual.

Here we go. I think I got the correct one this time. http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/Manu ... -ds4_e.pdf
Attachments
GA-MA-790X-DS4.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Did you Clear CMOS after the BIOS upgrade?
Attachments
ClearCMOS.JPG

ctwib

Post by ctwib » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks again Crash2009, no I hadn't thought to clear the CMOS, so have just done so and loaded optimised settings in the BIOS which changed the hard disk mode to IDE from AHCI. I've tried both settings and the problem still persists, this is getting rather frustrating!

ricardoroberto

Post by ricardoroberto » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:15 am

Have you gone into power settings and made sure the cpu is set to 100% on both full power and idle? (power options/high performance)

On lower powered computers if it's set to power save mode it won't run WMC properly.
I have use of 6 desktops and 1 laptop. I use WMC to record Freeview with both Vista and Windows7.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:29 pm

I have seen this before and i think it was a network issue.

What is the type of NIC and double check you have the correct NIC drivers installed for that motherboard.

Next if the above is OK, Make sure you are not going through the router. Move all cables from the tuners and PC to a switch.

Last or first test a large file transfer and make sure the network is working good and that reading and writing to the HDD is at High speed while xfering the file across the network.

Last thing, you have an ATI graphics card. Some of there drivers have extra setting to fix Video streams, to smooth out the stream, etc..., turn that crap off.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:52 am

Yeah or just install the driver without CCC