New to HTPC, still considering WMC

syedsahmad

HTPC Specs: Show details

New to HTPC, still considering WMC

Post by syedsahmad » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Hello everyone

New to these forums as well as the HTPC thing. I waited long enough and am finally ready to move to a HTPC setup. I already have a HDHomeRun Prime and a cablecard from Fios. However, with the uncertainty of WMC, I don't know if it's worth it to setup WMC and buy the clients (be it Xbox 360s or even the dreaded Ceton Echos). I don't see Microsoft just killing WMC in the near future, but who knows. And reading about all of the guide issues, I feel even more unsure. (NOTE: this isn't an issue of Windows 7/8.1 being the last versions supporting WMC. It's the idea of running "older" OSes, not having support, WMC losing even more features, etc.)

I've investigated the TiVO route and if it weren't for the initial entry cost, I think I would have gone for that solution. I missed out on Silicondust's Kickstarter, but this option REALLY intrigues me, though it's months away for any sort of stable build/official release.

Lastly, I know friends who still use the WMC and coworkers that recently switched to WMC as their HTPC (~2 months ago) and are super happy. (This forum also suggests this, despite some of the guide issues).

I'd appreciate the existing WMC Communities' thoughts on this: am I over thinking this? Just give in on WMC? Wait for the Silicondust's solution? Should I shell out the money to TiVO?

Thanks!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:54 pm

You're overthinking this.

"Older" OS: not having support is no issue. WMC is WMC. It is what it is, right now. No, it won't lose more features. If you set up a PC to be a DVR, and that's all it is, then "support" is no big deal. If you're not using it to browse the web, then there is no issue. And if you're looking at Tivo, then setting up a Windows box to do nothing but DVR duties is the same thing--but better.

And again, if you're considering Tivo then you would use your DVR to record and watch TV--and in that case, the Echo hooked to a modern TV is a perfect remote viewer.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:33 pm

A lot is up in the air right now. As far as we know, cable companies will be allowed to stop supporting cablecards in a couple of years and any cablecard-specific systems will become outdated. At a minimum, they may be able to stop providing new CableCards very soon or they will be allowed to stop authorizing cablecards in new tuners, so you will be unable to upgrade or expand your equipment.

WMC on Windows 7 isn't limited by the age of the OS, but it may be limited by it's inability to work with future technology. A couple of years ago WMC was a great option. I have a WMC 7 HTPC and I will keep using it, but today I wouldn't recommend someone jump onboard unless they expect to recoup the cost very quickly i.e. in a year.