Media Center studio on WIndows 8.1, anyone get it running ?

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center studio on WIndows 8.1, anyone get it running ?

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Hey all,

I am trying to see if Windows 8 is a option for me as I am a Windows 7 user for ever. So day by day, I am testing apps, and other stuff to see if it works, so far found some nice things but, also some bad things.

One of my deal killer things is Media Center studio, I think I have EVERY theme that was available online so I can change WMC all the time and always have a selection of changes. So far it will not run on Windows 8.1

Saw here that there was a v2 in beta for Windows 8 but, unable to find it and PM'ed the poster but, I have not heard back and after a post from 2009, I don't count on it.

So, anyone know a trick to get it to run under Windows 8.1 and FULLY work ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:49 pm

I know how people said it's does not work but, wondering if there was a hack or mod to get it to work...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Why not just use MCE Reset Toolbox? It's an updated version of studio, compatible with studio themes, and is compatible with Win8. It's less than $5 for the light version.
http://www.acs-digital-media.com/index.html

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:42 pm

3rob3 wrote:Why not just use MCE Reset Toolbox? It's an updated version of studio, compatible with studio themes, and is compatible with Win8. It's less than $5 for the light version.
This is what I use.. Works great on 8.1.
newfiend

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm

newfiend wrote:
3rob3 wrote:Why not just use MCE Reset Toolbox? It's an updated version of studio, compatible with studio themes, and is compatible with Win8. It's less than $5 for the light version.
This is what I use.. Works great on 8.1.
newfiend
Riddle me this. As I have all my Media Center Studio themes in the default folder in ProgramData will MCE Reset toolbox find all these and add them or do I need to manually add and convert each one? I was reading on their site that some parts done by MCS does not go over to their themeing program. And that could be an issue for me...

http://www.acs-digital-media.com/suppor ... .php?id=19

I'm already at almost $40 in parts if I go to WIndows 8.1 (my LCD display, cant get the LPT LCD working on 8.1 x64) and now having to add another $5... ugh I'm not worred about that too much but, it seems to be getting out of hand a little but on this aspect (when the licence for the software should of been the major cost on upgrading a current HTPC).

I have seen some people getting Media Center Studio running on 8.1 but, no one replies to PMs with old subjects on other sites, so wondering if there was a TRICK to get it running and working.

So far 8.1 fixes one MAJOR annoyance to me that 7 had, so it might be an option to go to it, if the costs dont get too out of hand...and there is others stuff I am dealing with too on it but, this is deal breaker issue.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm

I don't "theme" WMC anymore. I do use it to make new menu strips and adjusting/adding new ones though. Since it was an option that just worked for 8.1 I just bought it. The cost to me was worth my time not having to hack MCS to work.. Your mileage may very.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm not sure to be honest. I used it awhile back and was able to load themes created in Studio, using Win8.1. I don't remember the procedure bit I think it may have required using .mct files. I ended up settling on a black theme that doesn't require MCE Reset Toolbox or Studio, it's just patches the files itself. It's called "Astrotoy7_black_theme.exe"

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:49 pm

I have TONS of themes in MEdia Center Stuido, I honestly think I have all that were publicly posted that I would like and even more than that.

That is all MCS did, patch the WMC files...I think that's all they do...

They have a 30 day demo, I guess I can try a few themes that I know have lots of details through out Media Center. If I go back to 7, I can use it in that as well...

I always used MCS to edit the start menu, do themes and it was a great little program for that, in fact as layout of the Tool box, it looks like they took that and made it their own...but, what do I know ?

I guess it's not common knowlage to get MCS running in 8.1, oh, well, more limits on my end...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:05 pm

I've used MCE Reset Toolbox to import MCS themes it does work effectively but some themes require minor edits due to the programs being slightly different overall I think it would be worth the time to switch. Also check and see what themes you have in MCS are already ported to MCE Reset Toolbox that could save you gobs of time. : D

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Sharks wrote:I've used MCE Reset Toolbox to import MCS themes it does work effectively but some themes require minor edits due to the programs being slightly different overall I think it would be worth the time to switch. Also check and see what themes you have in MCS are already ported to MCE Reset Toolbox that could save you gobs of time. : D
Is the only place to get MCE reset toolbox themes are the handful that is on their site ? Or is there another place where there is an archive of converted themes ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:14 am

So I only took the ones off their website and after typing a list of all the MCS vs. ACS themes I have there does seem to be quite the large difference. I was unable to find any other sites linking to ACS themes. That being said conversions take between 2 to 5 mins once you get it down. I would be interested in helping convert and posting all MCS themes redone using ACS. Here is a list of what I currently have:

ACS Themes:

Code: Select all

A Touch of Metro
Astrptpy 7 Black
Astrotoy7 Black 2
Batman Theme
Black and Red
Black and Red 2
Christmas
Crowd by Prefect Hue
Dark Storm
Homeworld
Midnight Theatre
Shatted Glass
Sunset
Windows 7 Blue Chrome
Windows 8 Blue Chrome
MCS Themes:

A_Touch_of_Red
A_Touch_of_Red_(i3Tv)
A_Touch_of_Red_(no_borders)
Black and Red
Black Media Center Theme
Black Desert
Blu
Blue Space v1.0
Brokeh
Crowd
Dark7MC
Expedition
Exploration
Fleeting Thought
Flying_Whales
HexGlowBlue
Homeworld
In_Transit
Mainframe
Melting Point
Midnight_Magic
Mobius
Platform
Purple Windows
ReD_Desert
Streaming_Autumn
Streaming_Light_v1.02
Translation
Vista MC
Note: I converted Homeworld from MCS to ACS and isn't avaible accept as MCS online.

I would be interested to see what you have as you've been at this for longer than I have and were around at the golden age of WMC. : p

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Sharks wrote:So I only took the ones off their website and after typing a list of all the MCS vs. ACS themes I have there does seem to be quite the large difference. I was unable to find any other sites linking to ACS themes. That being said conversions take between 2 to 5 mins once you get it down. I would be interested in helping convert and posting all MCS themes redone using ACS. Here is a list of what I currently have:
Awesome, love the idea, would gladly share what I have so we can get a massive list available. I was one when I saw a new threme, I would grab it, so I have a good collection but, exact number I will check.

Sharks wrote: I would be interested to see what you have as you've been at this for longer than I have and were around at the golden age of WMC. : p
I got a bunch, I'll try to make a list, Truth be told there is maybe about 10 out of the bunch that my family likes and I use. A few others time to time.

I like to change it up a little, I have been theming so much over the years, the other day, I setup 8.1 w/WMC on my HTPC, so default, man it looked strange... :-\
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:00 pm

A quick note:
I have all the MCS files converted to the ACS format I just need to finish adjusting some of the background differences between how ACS vs MCS treat those files.
For anyone trying to convert themes over and adjust the background settings on one theme you need to export that theme to a file otherwise the changes do not save to the file!!! As you can tell from the exclamation points this screwed me hopefully that little piece of knowledge will save other people some time.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:02 pm

I'll try to get my list over tonight, was a busy weekend and didn't really get a chance to make a list....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Here's my list of themes that are installed in WMC Studio, these are the one that are in the Programfiles\MediaCenterSudio folder, as when I rebuild, I reinstall MCS and just drop this folder in and all the themes are importated.

Some I use often, some I don't think I will ever use, there are some dups, I added them by mistake as going through them one by one...

A_Touch_of_Red
Blue Curve
A_Touch_of_Red_(i3TV)
A_Touch_of_Red_(no_borders)
Mike1
Brokeh
energy_tornado
Inferno
Dim
Candy
Crowd by PerfectHue