WMC7 in VM using extenders

Ugadata

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC7 in VM using extenders

Post by Ugadata » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 pm

I am thinking of setting up WMC7 in a VM and using extenders to view the recordings. The recordings will mostly, if not all, be on protected channels i.e. HBO, Sho,Starz, etc.

Will I be able to use an extender to view recorded (or live for that matter) shows that are on protected channels? I don't believe I will be able to watch the shows on the computer they are being recorded on since it will be in a VM using a generic video driver.

Thks

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 pm

Yes, it works fine if you exclusively use extenders. Trying to watch in the VM itself just throws video errors. You will need to use the DCA Override, but everything, including protected channels, works fine (well even).

Ugadata

Post by Ugadata » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks for the verification and the heads up on the DCA override.

Ugadata

Post by Ugadata » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:06 pm

I have WMC7 running in a VM under the free Hyper-v Server 2012 R2 (no gui).

I have been using a computer to record and watch TV for many years, but I am new Windows Media Center. I was aware of it but never used it, until now.

I can record TV both protected and not protected. I can't actually watch on the VM (didn't expect to). I can watch non-protected TV and recordings but I can't watch protected TV or recordings. I am using a Ceton Echo as my extender. I am using a Ceton ETH6 as my tuner ( I am using tuners 5 & 6, the others are being used elsewhere).

I have installed the DCA override. I know Play Ready is installed but I don't see it when in Media Center (at least not in the location indicated by other posts I have read).

I suspect I may not have set things up in the proper order or skipped a needed step.

What are the proper steps and order to setting up Media Center in a VM to be able to watch protected content on extenders.

Also do I need to start over or can my current setup be recovered?

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:31 am

It's been a few years since I set it up but it's run pretty much problem free since (excluding the recent guide issues - nothing attributable to running in a VM). These are the tips I can think of.

Make sure you're doing all the initial set up in the actual VM console and not through RDC. Certain things in WMC don't show up in an RDC connection. You can try uninstalling PlayReady through Add/Remove Programs and re-run TV Setup to reinstall it. You will lose previously recorded protected recordings (although you may not have any yet). I'm personally using ESXi, which may handle things (like the "fake" video card) differently. Although I believe I have heard people getting WMC to work on Hyper-V, I don't remember if that included protected content.

Ugadata

Post by Ugadata » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:54 pm

In general it is now working. I suspect I may have done what was suggested only in a slightly different way.

Originally, I setup my tuner and guide before running the DCA and applying the DCA override. This allowed me to record and watch unprotected shows. I was also able to record protected content (after running DCA and applying the DCA override) but not watch protected on the extender, I probably couldn't watch it on the machine it was recorded on either but I have no way of knowing.

What I did was to go through the steps of adding the tuners and guide over again (after doing the DCA stuff) and after that I was able to watch protected content stations and later record and watch them. I am also leaving Media Center full screened in the VM.

I am now left with 2 lesser issues, I am getting hiccups in viewing the recordings approximately every 3 - 7 minutes (kinda like the cache or buffers are filling up) and the other is The Ceton extender needs to be re-linked every time I reboot the VM.

As far as the viewing issue, it is not in the recording because I can rewind and the hiccup doesn't happen in the same place.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:20 pm

Ah ok, yes the DCA should be run before any tuner setup in general. The other issues are possibly NIC issues. On ESXi, I use PCI passthrough to give the whole NIC to the WMC VM. I don't think Hyper-V can do that though. You can try switching the NIC type for the VM (seems to be network adapter and legacy network adapter) and see if that makes any difference.