Customizing the Channel Guide Questions

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
nikleb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Customizing the Channel Guide Questions

Post by nikleb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:30 pm

As a result of the not working guide source switch I had to go through the TV setup again. Thus I ended up with all channels again. I previously disabled many channels.
Is there a better way to edit the channels outside of MC. e.g. with a file edit?

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:36 pm

I found some pictures on google that show more guide liens. But all howto links are dead.
Does anyone know how to do this?

[Moderator note: topics merged]

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:40 pm

I use My Channel Logos and it has some options to increase the number of lines of guide data. I don't know how to do it outside of using that though.

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:53 am

Great! Thanks.

Any known issues combining this with AmazonMCE Plugin? Can I install MCL after AmazonMCE?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:08 am

I'm afraid I don't have AmazonMCE installed. I doubt they interfere with each other. However, you could always image your disk before trying MCL and restore back if you encounter ptoblems.

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:48 am

yes. It works. Glad if found MCL (and AmazonMCE).

Is there a better way to edit the channels outside of MC (to disable unwanted channels). e.g. with a file edit?

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Use Guideditor
nikleb wrote:yes. It works. Glad if found MCL (and AmazonMCE).

Is there a better way to edit the channels outside of MC (to disable unwanted channels). e.g. with a file edit?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:41 pm

docluv01 wrote:Use Guideditor
nikleb wrote:yes. It works. Glad if found MCL (and AmazonMCE).

Are you talking about Guide Tool, or is this another product your speaking of ?

Still, there is a backup in Guidetool, but, it can be flakey, If you back it up on your current system and change things, yea it works good but, if you back up and rebuild, it can be hit or miss.

I know it sucks but, I keep an excel spreadsheet of all the channels I get and time to time I compare my list with Comcast (to see if anything was added or removed), so when I have to re-run TV setup, I "clear all" and number by number, I type then check. I use the guide took to change 1008 to 8.1 etc with all the local channels (I prefer the OTA channel numbers). It's a pain but, normally takes about 20 min or so and it's done.

I do weekly backups on my HTPC, so if I do some tuner changes that I didn't change any hardware (and no new DRM based recordings), I can just restore the system and get everything back the way it was (just backing up the OS drive, that is JUST the OS)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012