Got Zap2IT working on WMC! with a LOT of work

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
jbf154

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jbf154 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:13 pm

I've run in a bit of a snag. It seems once the guide is populated with generic information, I can't seem to update it with episode-specific information. The MXF file I'm generating has the ESI data in it though. I've even tried to manually import it instead of using my scheduled task, but it still just displays the generic series information.

I'm going to rebuild my guide again and import my MXF file fresh to see if that resolves the issue. Even if it does, that wouldn't be a good long-term solution.

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:23 pm

Sounds similar to what I experienced. I am loading 7 days of data for this reason

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Ok, I rebuilt the guide from scratch. ESI data appears now. audinutt, what method are you using to import guide data? Are you using BigScreen EPG?

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:52 pm

jbf154 wrote:Ok, I rebuilt the guide from scratch. ESI data appears now. audinutt, what method are you using to import guide data? Are you using BigScreen EPG?
Yes still using bsepg

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:31 pm

After a bunch of trial and error, I was able to get the ESI to update into the guide. There are still a few quirks I'd like to work out. Newscasts (and SportsCenter, etc.) show as repeats even when they're marked Live in the MXF file. Other than that, it seems to be working fairly well. I have 14-21 days worth of guide data (depending on the channel).

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Great news, Looking forward to trying this out when you make it available. Any progress on supporting multiple tuner types? (OTA and Cablecard).

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:36 am

I am trying to use this method, but I wondering why I can't get BSEPG to work at all - every time I try to import guide data it says there's no programs imported, and the black windows says error - 0 byte file.

The developer replied that it might be that the program info in the file had expired but it had not - I am using mc2xml to get the zap2it guide data but no go. I've checked the internal dates and they are in the future. Can anyone assist?

audinutt

Post by audinutt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:28 am

sourcehound wrote:I am trying to use this method, but I wondering why I can't get BSEPG to work at all - every time I try to import guide data it says there's no programs imported, and the black windows says error - 0 byte file.

The developer replied that it might be that the program info in the file had expired but it had not - I am using mc2xml to get the zap2it guide data but no go. I've checked the internal dates and they are in the future. Can anyone assist?
That is odd I could probably take a look remotely.

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:07 am

Sure, pm me your email and I'll set it up.

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:42 am

A little more info - I'm so close now, it hurts….

xmltv files generated with xmltv.exe and mc2xml.exe both have the same issue with BSEPG. It's almost as if it doesn't have permissions to write the output file, so I tried different locations but same problem. I'd swear it's an issue with the program itself, but with so many reporting success, I am thinking I've run into some sort of anomaly. I even tried the older version and have the same issue.

Does BSEPG have some sort of dependency, like a .NET install or something I'm missing? Frustrated. So close.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:43 am

Have you tried this method?

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=9324

sourcehound wrote:A little more info - I'm so close now, it hurts….

xmltv files generated with xmltv.exe and mc2xml.exe both have the same issue with BSEPG. It's almost as if it doesn't have permissions to write the output file, so I tried different locations but same problem. I'd swear it's an issue with the program itself, but with so many reporting success, I am thinking I've run into some sort of anomaly. I even tried the older version and have the same issue.

Does BSEPG have some sort of dependency, like a .NET install or something I'm missing? Frustrated. So close.

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:00 am

That's the method I'm working towards - I've built the line up and applied it, but I've failed to import any program info because BSEPG won't output the .mxf file for WMC. Once I get that done, I'm golden….

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:09 pm

OK,

Niall from BSEPG came through for me, and I now have a manual guide up and running. Back in the saddle.
I am using schedules direct guide info, but how does one access the Zap2IT guide info to get it into XMLTV format?
I know the Microsoft Legacy guide service used it, but that's not been updated since September.

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:06 am

Nevermind, Zap2It is now Schedules Direct.....I learned quite a bit these last few days....this forum is awesome!

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:07 am

stuartm wrote:Great news, Looking forward to trying this out when you make it available. Any progress on supporting multiple tuner types? (OTA and Cablecard).
This already works - just add the OTA lineup in Schedules Direct as well as your CableCard lineup, import the XMLTV, then use the Lineupselector.exe tool to apply to both Tuners, one at a a time. Done.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:54 am

I'm talking about the new tool that jbf154 is writing that will generate mxf files by pulling data from Schedules Direct and using Microsoft LoadMXF tool to import the data. It's not clear that what you describe will work with his tool.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:24 pm

For the record Schedules Direct is not Zap2it but can pull data from different guide sources including Zap2it. It is configurable.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:18 am

STC wrote:For the record Schedules Direct is not Zap2it but can pull data from different guide sources including Zap2it. It is configurable.
I looked at the Schedules Direct site, and other than being able to create lineups (I created RCN and OTA), I don't see any other things to configure - did I miss something?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:38 am

Sorry I mislead with my statement written in a rush:

Schedules Direct have an agreement to pull data from Tribune (who own Zap2it) and supply it to non-commercial bodies.
There are tools that can pull from Schedules Direct as well as other sources and compile to xml for Media Center to use.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

virus5150

Post by virus5150 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:54 am

sourcehound - I'm trying to setup the same schedule you did for RCN/Cable Card with schedules direct.

Can you please detail the steps when you have a moment.

I'm technical - so just need the steps / software applications /etc. you used to get this working.

Thanks!