Nvidia Video Cards / Drivers (750TI) problems with HDCP

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Funks

HTPC Specs: Show details

Nvidia Video Cards / Drivers (750TI) problems with HDCP

Post by Funks » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:01 am

EVGA 750TI SC
CPU make and model: Intel i3-3225
Amount of system memory: 8 GB
Motherboard make and model: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H (rev 1.1)
Motherboard BIOS version: F15
Monitor(s) make and model: TV - LG 60PM6700
Sound card make and model: HDMI
Driver: 353.06 (also tried 353.12)

There seems to be a problem with NVIDIA drivers as it relates to HDCP. My video card is plugged into my receiver (Yamaha RX-A800) via HDMI, which is then plugged into my TV ( LG - 60PM6700 ). Before purchasing the card, I had an ATI HD7790 Video Card which had no issues at all.

It seems the driver has an issue when there's an AV Receiver in the middle of the chain as plugging the video card directly to the TV correctly reports HDCP support in the NVIDIA control panel.

Causes Media Center Fits when watching HD channels - when I start up Media Center (eq. Full Screen) - it gives me an error saying "HDCP is required", but when I minimize the application to "Windowed" mode, HDCP looks like it starts working and I'm able to watch TV. I am able to switch back to Full Screen mode without issues as long as I don't restart MCE.

If I start up Media Center in Windowed Mode, it gives me an error saying "HDCP is required", when I switch it "Full Screen" mode, HDCP looks like it starts working and able to watch TV. If the application is restarted, have to do the flip-flop before it starts working.

The same PC using an ATI card doesn't have any issues with HDCP, nor the PS4, and the Chromecast (which are all plugged into the AV Receiver). I replaced the HDMI cables with no effect. The Intel Built-in GPU also works just fine with HDCP.

Anybody know how to get around this issue without going back to the RED TEAM? The 750TI is being touted as a good HTPC card but most HTPC owners I know actually plug it into their AV Receiver, and having HDCP reporting issues makes the card pretty hard to work with..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRYtjMGXC0

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:41 am

Couple things to try.

Set content type reported to display to "full screen videos" in Nvidia Control Panel.

You fully removed all ATI Drivers correct?

If you have and the above setting doesn't fix it run the latest nvidia driver installer, select custom installation when prompted. Select the check box for a Clean install and continue. A reboot may be required after install, open nvidia control panel afterwards and set content type reported to display to full screen videos again, click apply and save the changes, exit nvidia control panel. Also make sure in Windows control panel > sound that the audio output is set to your HDMI connection to the AVR and set it to stereo not 5.1/7.1.

Open WMC and see if it works now. If so then you can open tasks/settings > General > Windows Media Center setup > select speaker setting and set those to use the HDMI and set it to 5.1 or 7.1 to get multi channel audio out of WMC.

Hope that helps.

newfiend
Last edited by newfiend on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:42 am

The other thing to check is make sure your AVR has the latest firmware installed.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:45 am

I also use a 750Ti, great little card for HTPC and gaming.

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Hey, newfiend, what's happenin'??? Maybe you can help me here since you have a 750Ti - also posted here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receiv ... ad-38.html

OK - I am flustered. My setup: Onkyo TX-NR616, Windows 7 Media Center, nVidia 750Ti. So, in Windows, I can set it to 7.1, and then test each individual channel separately fine, so I know the video card is outputting 7.1. But I have not been able to get surround sound from any TV channel or recorded TV show in Media Center! Some channels show PCM and some show Dolby (not sure what version). I have gone into the listening mode for PC (the HDMI input my HTPC is connected to) and NOTHING I pick gives me a peep out of anything except my subwoofer, center, and lt and rt front speakers! (Does it change immediately when you change it, so you have a live preview?)
Mike

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:33 pm

mmatheny wrote:Hey, newfiend, what's happenin'??? Maybe you can help me here since you have a 750Ti - also posted here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receiv ... ad-38.html

OK - I am flustered. My setup: Onkyo TX-NR616, Windows 7 Media Center, nVidia 750Ti. So, in Windows, I can set it to 7.1, and then test each individual channel separately fine, so I know the video card is outputting 7.1. But I have not been able to get surround sound from any TV channel or recorded TV show in Media Center! Some channels show PCM and some show Dolby (not sure what version). I have gone into the listening mode for PC (the HDMI input my HTPC is connected to) and NOTHING I pick gives me a peep out of anything except my subwoofer, center, and lt and rt front speakers! (Does it change immediately when you change it, so you have a live preview?)
Hola Mike!
Long Time no see... :)
I recently changed my AVR to a Yamaha RX-V667 and had a similar issue. I am still using my Polk speakers (5.1). (Windows 8.1)
This is how I have my setup working with a little help from DavidinCT. The settings should be exactly the same in Windows 7.

I am using the latest NVidia Driver 353.06. After a fresh install I open Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust Desktop Color Settings and set Content Type reported to display to Full Screen Videos. Click Apply and confirm any changes. Close Nvidia Control Panel. (This will help with picture blanking issues on 29/59 content.)

In Windows Control Panel > Sound, Select the HDMI connection and set it to the Default Audio Device. Click the configure button.
This is where my settings differ from yours a bit. I always set it to 2.0 Stereo for audio in Windows (not Media Center) just windows. I found that If I set that to 5.1 or 7.1 in Windows I would get a error in WMC that would pop up telling me that it had a missing "video codec" (which was actually an audio issue) when using audio over HDMI.
My suggestion would be to set it to 2.0 Stereo in Windows. Do not select any check box for full range speakers for front left and right during speaker setup in windows control panel.

Next Open Windows Media Center > Tasks/Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup > Setup your Speakers. Run through the setup, select HDMI as the audio connection and then set it to 5.1 or 7.1 for surround sound in Windows Media Center.

These are the correct setting for Audio over HDMI that work for me.

I had an Issue with the speaker settings on my AVR. When I set up the AVR Speaker settings I set the front LT and front RT speakers as LARGE instead of SMALL. Some AVR's will disable the Subwoofer channel if you set the Front LT and Front RT speakers to LARGE.

I would play music in WMC and get no Subwoofer output. The front left and right speakers would handle all the audio as the AVR wouldn't output the sub channel due to the fact I set the front speakers to large which tells the AVR you want them handling all the frequencies from tweeter to Sub channel sounds.

Once I set all the speakers (Front Left and Right and Surround Left an Right) to small in the AVR settings then the subwoofer worked as it should. This may be why your having a problem with your setup possibly.

I also started using Shark007's Advanced Codec Pack.. It's come a long way and it pretty simple to setup now and for me works well. It now uses LAV codecs which I like.
I have a lot of .MKV files with multi channel audio. Some DD some DTS etc..

I setup Sharks Pack to bitstream the audio to the AVR for decoding.

Download and install Sharks codec Pack here http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html just bypass all the excess bloatware it tries to install during installation.
After install it will popup 2 windows one for 32bit codecs and one for 64bit.

On the 32 bit Settings App (Config. Tab) select Shark007's suggested settings check box.

Click the Audio Tab at the top under Audio Bitstreaming select TrueHD/DTS HD-MA (HDMI only) radio button.

If you use .MKV Files and want them to work on Extenders click the MKV Tab and select the convert to AC3 on the fly radio button.

Do the exact same settings on the x64bit Settings Application window. Shark007's suggested settings on Config Tab, Audio TrueHD/DTS HD-MA (HDMI only) radio button on audio tab, convert to AC3 on the fly radio button on the .MKV tab.

click exit on both x32 and x64 Settings App windows.

That's it. Now I get 5.1 in WMC with TV and Recorded TV with DD audio tracks,. I can play any type of media .MKV, .MP4 etc. with multichannel audio and get 5.1 with DD, True HD, DTS-HD etc. with any file I play. Setting the AVR speakers to small (even though they are big polk speakers) allowed me to get the sub channel working with music as well as all my movie files and TV shows. Keep in mind the AVR can only decode what it's fed from the PC.. If the TV show doesn't have a DD track it may show as PCM. It's best to test with "known" files that have DD or a DTS track so you know it's working right.

I hope this helps you out Mike. Take care and keep in touch!
newfiend~

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Agreed....also to note...

>If you use .MKV Files and want them to work on Extenders click the MKV Tab and select the convert to AC3 on the fly radio button.

This only helps If you have DTS audio on your MKV files and also to note, If you have subtitles in your MVK files, you need to remove them or they WONT play on extenders...

I also have a 750ti SC card, great HTPC card, I am running 2160p @ 60hz off it (4K)... and WMC runs flawlessly..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:40 pm

newfiend wrote:
mmatheny wrote:Hey, newfiend, what's happenin'??? Maybe you can help me here since you have a 750Ti - also posted here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receiv ... ad-38.html

Hola Mike!
Long Time no see... :)
I recently changed my AVR to a Yamaha RX-V667 and had a similar issue. I am still using my Polk speakers (5.1). (Windows 8.1)
This is how I have my setup working with a little help from DavidinCT. The settings should be exactly the same in Windows 7.

I am using the latest NVidia Driver 353.06. After a fresh install I open Nvidia Control Panel > Adjust Desktop Color Settings and set Content Type reported to display to Full Screen Videos. Click Apply and confirm any changes. Close Nvidia Control Panel. (This will help with picture blanking issues on 29/59 content.)

In Windows Control Panel > Sound, Select the HDMI connection and set it to the Default Audio Device. Click the configure button.
This is where my settings differ from yours a bit. I always set it to 2.0 Stereo for audio in Windows (not Media Center) just windows. I found that If I set that to 5.1 or 7.1 in Windows I would get a error in WMC that would pop up telling me that it had a missing "video codec" (which was actually an audio issue) when using audio over HDMI.
My suggestion would be to set it to 2.0 Stereo in Windows. Do not select any check box for full range speakers for front left and right during speaker setup in windows control panel.

Next Open Windows Media Center > Tasks/Settings > General > Windows Media Center Setup > Setup your Speakers. Run through the setup, select HDMI as the audio connection and then set it to 5.1 or 7.1 for surround sound in Windows Media Center.

These are the correct setting for Audio over HDMI that work for me.

I had an Issue with the speaker settings on my AVR. When I set up the AVR Speaker settings I set the front LT and front RT speakers as LARGE instead of SMALL. Some AVR's will disable the Subwoofer channel if you set the Front LT and Front RT speakers to LARGE.

I would play music in WMC and get no Subwoofer output. The front left and right speakers would handle all the audio as the AVR wouldn't output the sub channel due to the fact I set the front speakers to large which tells the AVR you want them handling all the frequencies from tweeter to Sub channel sounds.

Once I set all the speakers (Front Left and Right and Surround Left an Right) to small in the AVR settings then the subwoofer worked as it should. This may be why your having a problem with your setup possibly.

I also started using Shark007's Advanced Codec Pack.. It's come a long way and it pretty simple to setup now and for me works well. It now uses LAV codecs which I like.
I have a lot of .MKV files with multi channel audio. Some DD some DTS etc..

I setup Sharks Pack to bitstream the audio to the AVR for decoding.

Download and install Sharks codec Pack here http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html just bypass all the excess bloatware it tries to install during installation.
After install it will popup 2 windows one for 32bit codecs and one for 64bit.

On the 32 bit Settings App (Config. Tab) select Shark007's suggested settings check box.

Click the Audio Tab at the top under Audio Bitstreaming select TrueHD/DTS HD-MA (HDMI only) radio button.

If you use .MKV Files and want them to work on Extenders click the MKV Tab and select the convert to AC3 on the fly radio button.

Do the exact same settings on the x64bit Settings Application window. Shark007's suggested settings on Config Tab, Audio TrueHD/DTS HD-MA (HDMI only) radio button on audio tab, convert to AC3 on the fly radio button on the .MKV tab.

click exit on both x32 and x64 Settings App windows.

That's it. Now I get 5.1 in WMC with TV and Recorded TV with DD audio tracks,. I can play any type of media .MKV, .MP4 etc. with multichannel audio and get 5.1 with DD, True HD, DTS-HD etc. with any file I play. Setting the AVR speakers to small (even though they are big polk speakers) allowed me to get the sub channel working with music as well as all my movie files and TV shows. Keep in mind the AVR can only decode what it's fed from the PC.. If the TV show doesn't have a DD track it may show as PCM. It's best to test with "known" files that have DD or a DTS track so you know it's working right.

I hope this helps you out Mike. Take care and keep in touch!
newfiend~
Sorry Curt, even though my receiver shows PCM, I don't get a peep out of any speaker except my front 3 and sub. This is frustrating!!
Mike

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Mike,
Does the TV you have Support Audio Return Channel (ARC) if not the owners manual for your receiver says to run a Optical Digital Cable as well as the HDMI cable.
Try adding a Optical Digital Cable between the Optical Digital Output on the TV and the Optical Digital Input on the AVR.
If your TV supports ARC then make sure your HDMI cables are connected to the ARC ports on the TV and AVR and that ARC is enabled on the AVR & TV. (Then no Optical Digital Cable would be needed.)
My TV and AVR support ARC. When I open Windows Control Panel > Sound And look for the "audio device" it lists my TV instead of the AVR even though the AVR is handling all the audio. I am using ARC ports on both the TV and AVR without an optical cable. On my old Sony AVR I had to use an Optical Cable between the TV and AVR because both items (old Sony TV and Old Sony AVR) did NOT support ARC. My New Samsung TV and Yamaha AVR do and I no longer need the optical cable.
HTH,
newfiend~