Netflix "Adjusting for better playback..."

n4mwd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix "Adjusting for better playback..."

Post by n4mwd » Thu May 14, 2015 3:24 am

I have used Netflix for a long time and its always been flakey on WMC. Today, I go to watch a movie and it first gives a script error and then says "Adjusting for better playback for slower connections" and never plays the movie. I did allow some windows updates, could that have broken it or is Netflix just playing games again?

Any suggestions?

rytomi

Post by rytomi » Thu May 14, 2015 3:54 am

So starting today I can't seem to play Netflix from Windows Media Center. I receive a message about a script error, asking to continue running scripts. Whether I press yes or no, I get a message "Adjusting for better playback for slower connections..." and the content never plays.

Other info:
  • Computer is running Windows 7
    Netflix still plays fine in a browser
    I don't have a slow connection, my internet is 50 Mbps
    I have a laptop with Windows Vista Media Center - I don't get script error but still get the adjusting playback message and never plays
Anyone else experiencing this, or know of an alternate Netflix plug in?
Is this just the beginning of the absolute end to WMC thanks to Microsoft?

[Moderator note: topic merged; please search before posting]

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu May 14, 2015 4:30 am

I'm having this issue too.

I tried playing in IE, and got a Silverlight error (outdated, needed to be update), so I did that and now I can play in IE, but I still get the same message in WMC.

I tried running all Windows Updates, rebooted a few times, deleted all IE cache and cookies... but I can't make it work. My kids are very disappointed.

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Thu May 14, 2015 5:13 am

Same problem, also disappointed family.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Has anyone tried to Restore to a day prior to the update?
Attachments
RestorePoint.JPG

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 pm

This is precisely why I don't use Windows Updates on my HTPC. That being said, I will have to check tonight to confirm mine is still working.

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu May 14, 2015 1:17 pm

3rob3 wrote:This is precisely why I don't use Windows Updates on my HTPC. That being said, I will have to check tonight to confirm mine is still working.
To clarify, this does not appear to have been caused by a Windows update. I had auto updates disabled, and didn't do any manually, and it started happening to me. I hadn't loaded anything new. Between when I left for work and when I came home, the problem started happening.

I only loaded Windows updates to try to correct the error. It didn't work for me.

I'm trying a system restore to a point before it stopped working anyway, to see what happens. It looks like Chrome updated itself, but I can't think of why that would affect Netflix in Media Center.

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu May 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Ok, so after a system restore, I tried again and got a similar, but slightly more informative message.

popup with the Script error
URL http://cdn3.nflxext.com/wiplayer-#################

And in the playback window I see: Silverlight Installation Problem Error Code 2105, we could not load the movie player

ttl35esq

Post by ttl35esq » Thu May 14, 2015 2:40 pm

I had the same issue this morning. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling silverlight but that didn't work. But before I uninstalled silverlight, I see that there was a silverlight update applied on May 13. Is there a way to go back to a prior version of silverlight?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu May 14, 2015 3:08 pm

AtomicCEO wrote:To clarify, this does not appear to have been caused by a Windows update.
Oh, ok. Strange then and probably Silverlight related. Do you guys run the Netflix search fix posted here on the forums?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:12 pm

AtomicCEO wrote: I had auto updates disabled, and didn't do any manually, and it started happening to me.
Even though you have auto update disabled, in some cases, Critical Updates can still get through.

What are you using for antivirus?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
AtomicCEO wrote: I had auto updates disabled, and didn't do any manually, and it started happening to me.
Even though you have auto update disabled, in some cases, Critical Updates can still get through.

Doesn't matter. It's broken for everybody, probably from Netflix's end. Is it still working for you?

And, yes, most of us are probably running the search proxy. Otherwise searches wouldn't work at all.

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu May 14, 2015 7:05 pm

3rob3 wrote:
AtomicCEO wrote:To clarify, this does not appear to have been caused by a Windows update.
Oh, ok. Strange then and probably Silverlight related. Do you guys run the Netflix search fix posted here on the forums?
Yes, I did a while back.
Crash2009 wrote:

I don't think I allow any updates, not even important ones. I am not using anti-virus.

I do suspect that it's due to Silverlight. Like I said, after I experienced the issue, trying to run Netflix in IE warned me that my Silverlight version was blocked due to security concerns and forced me to update. I think that probably the Netflix WMC app (which as we know doesn't really get updates) is just not able to use the new Silverlight version properly, maybe because of additional security requirements built into it.

I was going to try reverting to a slightly older Silverlight when I got home.

The only other thing I could think of was that my Chrome version had just updated, and I know the latest Chrome doesn't support plugins like Silverlight. I don't know why anything Chrome would affect anything on the Media Center, but maybe I'll try to implement that hack to allow Silverlight on Chrome 42 and see if it does anything.

If anyone is familiar with opening a ticket at Microsoft support, I bet they could fix this... if they wanted to.

Is anyone posting in this thread *not* seeing the issue?

AtomicCEO

Post by AtomicCEO » Thu May 14, 2015 7:08 pm

cyrano

Post by cyrano » Thu May 14, 2015 7:25 pm

Having the same problem on both of my computers running WMC. Tried all the tricks everyone else has with no results. Also, am convinced it's not due to a windows update. I'm posting here so if anyone comes up with a solution I'll be notified. Thanks in advance... :? :)

tcaradonna

Post by tcaradonna » Thu May 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say I am experiencing the same problem. Noticed it at the same time as everyone else. I started checking my settings and noticed my Symantec EP 11 had end of life on 1/5/20125. So I upgraded to 12. I installed all the windows 7 security patches, but nothing changed the WMC netflix app. Same problem.

Here is the URL of the script error:
http://cdn3.nflxext.com/FilePackageGett ... 2000000000
Not sure what it means...

Is it working for anyone?

jlunman

Post by jlunman » Thu May 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Not working for me either. But here's some more information. The script error is happening on the following statement:
e.OnFBConnectRequested=b(this.fbConnectPressed,this);
Trying to assign to the "OnFBConnectRequested" property is throwing an "Object does not support this property or method" error. Using a script debugger, I can skip past that statement, then the video plays fine. So it's not completely broken, just that one line of code.

I have no solution to offer at this time, but perhaps this information can be useful to the developers at Netflix. If they simply wrapped that line in a try...catch block, we'd be back up and running.

cyrano

Post by cyrano » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 pm

jlunman: Thanks for finding the problem! Any way you might call Netflix and have them move you up the food chain to talk to one of their programmers? Since their streaming works just fine on browsers, they made it clear to me earlier today they're not interested in understanding or resolving WMC issues. 1-800-587-7067

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm

jlunman wrote:
e.OnFBConnectRequested=b(this.fbConnectPressed,this);
Something to do with the Facebook connect/share with friends feature on Netflix?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Great info. I shared it with Microsoft and Netflix. Microsoft hasn't responded. But Netflix basically said they don't support the WMC app, so take it up with Microsoft. Although the solution is simple, I don't see it ever getting solved by MS or Netflix. I'm afraid this is the end.