Playing WMC-generated protected content in something else

steveo_in_sd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Playing WMC-generated protected content in something else

Post by steveo_in_sd » Sat May 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi all - so with WMC just about confirmed dead in Windows 10, and with the SiliconDust DVR project coming along, I got to wondering: is it possible for me to play my protected content recorded by WMC in some other application? If the SD DVR uses PlayReady, and I am on the same PC that I recorded the show on with WMC, could the SD player in theory play back the protected content? I know there are few specifics to be had about how the SD player for protected content will work, but is this kind of thing even possible?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat May 02, 2015 6:01 pm

I don't see this happening, but you would be better off asking at the SD forums; to get a 'yes' or 'no' straight from the horse's mouth.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Windows Media Player (still included with Windows 10) will play them but you'd need to use hacks found on this forum to save/restore settings pertinent to this type of playback.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Tue May 05, 2015 3:37 pm

I have a question related to the topic since support of WMC seems to be ending in Windows 10 and if a user would like to play their content protected or otherwise in Windows 10 rule 8 states:
"8. You may not discuss illegal activities on this website, including circumventing DRM, the illegal copying of DVDs and Blu-rays, the theft of cable or other services, or the use of BitTorrent to download copyrighted content."
What would be defined as "circumventing DRM" vs. ways to play protected content without windows media center due to it being removed from Windows 10. I'm not asking to be smart but just so I know what I can and cannot suggest as a solution to playing protected content.
Thanks,
-Sharks

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Tue May 05, 2015 6:22 pm

I hear you, Sharks. Let me rephrase it more clearly.

Using WMC in conjunction with a cablecard tuner, I recorded a copy-once program. If I still have the same PC and the same installation of Windows (so DRM keys are intact), is there a way to have some other application besides WMC and WMP play the protected file, or is the protection scheme basically an integrated, proprietary-to-MS solution that some other app that also leveraged WM-DRM/PlayReady wouldn't be able to decrypt and play (legally and in full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations)?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Tue May 05, 2015 6:39 pm

short answer - no, not possible.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Tue May 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Not possible given current options or not technically possible under any circumstances?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Wed May 06, 2015 5:49 pm

"ANY" is way too broad to say...But short of a miracle, yes - NOT POSSIBLE under "reasonable" circumstances

kdean7

Post by kdean7 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Not possible under the legal and policy limitations. Apparently we are not allowed to discuss what is possible at a technical level though. You will need to go to a different forum to discuss that.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:16 am

Circumventing DRM means gaining access to the protected content without going through the DRM system, and that is illegal according to the DMCA. Gaining access to the protected content without circumventing the DRM is legal, and discussion of that topic is not prohibited by the forum rules.

With that said, there is no technical reason why software other than WMC couldn't (legally) gain access to the protected content authored by WMC. However, the software would need to be able to read WTV files, and would also have to make calls to PlayReady.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue May 12, 2015 4:56 pm

You could play back the DRMed content through an extender using analog connection to a capture card and record it now without the DRM. Time consuming, yes, but if the content is irreplaceable, it may be the only way to preserve it.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:55 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Time consuming, yes
Also: Legal, yes.