Fios and InfiniTV6 - what is TOO hot?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fios and InfiniTV6 - what is TOO hot?

Post by werds » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 pm

OK, so I might be moving into a residence this summer that offers FIOS as the main tv provider. Now I know that in Comcast area I have always had to battle with a marginal signal and had to use amps to boost the incoming signal to something usable (yea I know it shouldn't be this bad but it has and has been a pain to get Comcast to ever fix it).

Now with Fios I hear that the signal runs hot. Is there such a thing as TOO hot? If so what would I need to do to step down the signal... or is that even necessary?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:07 am

Ceton says you can get away with -12 to +12. I have read some people get away with -15 to +15. Most of my channels run fine on -12.5 with the exception of Cinemax which was totally un-watchable. Like you, I installed an amp to achieve 0 (zero) on the channels I watch the most.

Probably the best thing to do is a signal survey when you get there. If you don't have it all ready here is the link to AllCetonSignals.zip http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 423#p73423

http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... -explained

Bring a couple terminated splitters with you to temporarily step down the signal if you have to. 3-way will knock it down 3.5, a 4-way will knock it down 7.0 Splitters will get you by, until a proper attenuator arrives.

Terminator caps are available at your local Radio Shack or >>>>> http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... jlx5acsb_p

werds

Post by werds » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Ceton says you can get away with -12 to +12. I have read some people get away with -15 to +15. Most of my channels run fine on -12.5 with the exception of Cinemax which was totally un-watchable. Like you, I installed an amp to achieve 0 (zero) on the channels I watch the most.

Probably the best thing to do is a signal survey when you get there. If you don't have it all ready here is the link to AllCetonSignals.zip http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 423#p73423

http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... -explained

Bring a couple terminated splitters with you to temporarily step down the signal if you have to. 3-way will knock it down 3.5, a 4-way will knock it down 7.0 Splitters will get you by, until a proper attenuator arrives.

Terminator caps are available at your local Radio Shack or >>>>> http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... jlx5acsb_p
Awesome, thanks for that info! So stepping down it is! Thankfully for me I have all the pre-requisite items you mentioned to make it work plus a low pass filter. Now one last question - Are you running your internet off the ethernet port from the ONT and the COAX separately for TV with no problem? Does running it like this eliminate the need to use Verizon's Actiontec Router?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Sounds like ours is quite a bit different. All we have is this big fat wire from the pole which is connected inside this ugly box. Inside that box are a bunch of MGT28's. One of the MGT ports goes to my splitter. Port 1 goes to the cable modem, Port 2 goes to my amp then out to the tuners.
Attachments
CABLE_IN_001.JPG
CABLE_IN_002.JPG
CABLE_IN_005.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:00 am

We have an Arris cable modem 1- coax in, 1 Ethernet out to LAN, and 2 telephone jacks. LAN goes to my router then to my switch. This diagram is 3 years old and has not been updated to reflect changes.

I thought those Verizon Actiontec devices are 3 devices in one. Aren't they cable modem, WiFi router, and switch combined into one device? What model you got? So we can see what we are talking about.
Attachments
RF_AMP_002.jpg

werds

Post by werds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Sorry I should have been clear. I currently reside in a home with Comcast as the provider. We are looking at properties to move in to that only offer FIOS and Mediacom as providers. My question was based on memory. My mother in law (who lives 3 hours from me and is not tech savvy) has FIOS and I know that she had a grey box on the inside of her basement that ran coax to her Actiontec router that handled all her TV, internet phone form there... but I know on the grey box there was also an Ethernet port that according to google is usable.

If I move to a house with FIOS (which is increasingly likely) I would want to connect my ceton directly to the coax and my own personal router directly to the ETH port - and removing the need for the Actiontec since guide data is from WMC and I would not be using the VOD options.

While looking at my options I remembered someone mentioning that the signal runs hot and wanted to learn what I would need to do if anything to remedy this. Thanks for your helpful posts!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:17 pm

werds wrote:I know that she had a grey box on the inside of her basement that ran coax to her Actiontec router that handled all her TV, internet phone form there... but I know on the grey box there was also an Ethernet port that according to google is usable.
The box is called an "ONT" for Optical Network Terminal. The box converts the optical (light) signal from Verizon into an electrical signal. During installation, ask the technician to activate Internet on the Ethernet port, so you can use your own router. However, you will still need to use the Actiontec router to provide guide data to the set top boxes via MoCA. Simply give the Actiontec router a static IP on your LAN (like 192.168.1.2) and disable DHCP.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Ahh. FTTH... I doubt I'll ever get that.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

werds

Post by werds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Scallica wrote:
werds wrote:I know that she had a grey box on the inside of her basement that ran coax to her Actiontec router that handled all her TV, internet phone form there... but I know on the grey box there was also an Ethernet port that according to google is usable.
The box is called an "ONT" for Optical Network Terminal. The box converts the optical (light) signal from Verizon into an electrical signal. During installation, ask the technician to activate Internet on the Ethernet port, so you can use your own router. However, you will still need to use the Actiontec router to provide guide data to the set top boxes via MoCA. Simply give the Actiontec router a static IP on your LAN (like 192.168.1.2) and disable DHCP.
Do I still need to use the Actiontec router since I plan on not having any Verizon set top boxes? I thought I could just move over my WMC system over complete with extenders and just like my current home not have any provider owned equipment in house (aka not set top boxes!)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:50 pm

werds wrote: Do I still need to use the Actiontec router since I plan on not having any Verizon set top boxes? I thought I could just move over my WMC system over complete with extenders and just like my current home not have any provider owned equipment in house (aka not set top boxes!)
Nope. You could also use the Actiontec router for extra wi-fi coverage.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:10 pm

There we go. I knew there had to be someone around here that knows what an ONT is. Only ONT I know is Ontario.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri May 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Removed. I didn't see the post after the one I responded to.