Guide Download Issues Thread - April 2015

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
davidhp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Download Issues Thread - April 2015

Post by davidhp » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:58 am

Well once again the guide is not getting new information. It did not update with new information today. I hate to get picky about one day, but why is this becoming a monthly occurrence.
Cox Cable Las Vegas Nevada.

Started a feedback on the Microsoft web page: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1239703

Sea3

Post by Sea3 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:52 am

Same here. I even tried a manual update but new guide data was not provided. You should start a thread for "April 2015".

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:11 am

Ok here we go again, the EPG did not update tonight, no errors just no new data. Now this has become a monthly occurrence and that should not be happening.

Well once again the guide is not getting new information. It did not update with new information today. I hate to get picky about one day, but why is this becoming a monthly occurrence.

Started a feedback on the Microsoft web page: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1239703

glorp

Post by glorp » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:13 pm

My most recent update from overnight has the update "control file" time stamped from April 10, 2015 04:27p. That means MS is processing updates at their end. Just no new data. Guide data have never updated daily and extended by one new day every day. The amount of available data have varied from 9-13 days with nothing being wrong. This seems to occur particularly over weekends when no new data show up until Monday's or Tuesday's updates. No need for panic I think unless MS stops processing data successfully. You can tell that from the file time stamps as I've mentioned before elsewhere in the old thread.

glenb77

Post by glenb77 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Under normal (working) cirmcumstances the database is updated and extended 6 days a week never on Sunday. There was no new data beginning on Friday and again today. f

If MS does not realize it on Monday, it may be another week like last time until they get the message something is wrong.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:54 pm

davidhp wrote:I hate to get picky about one day, but why is this becoming a monthly occurrence.

Wow. It would appear you are being picky, considering it's only one day.

One of the comments in this thread mentions that the data might not always update on weekends.

Bothering Microsoft with false alarms doesn't sound like a good idea. :thumbdown:

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:58 pm

It may not be a false alarm, my in-laws' HTPC in Indiana has the same issue. There was a reply from a MS forum mod on 4/8 that they were still working on the issue.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:48 pm

I have been using WMC for years and until last year it updated every day except Sunday and on Mondays it updated two days. I believe that Microsoft has failed to keep this program
working the way it is supposed to and for everyone using Windows 8.1 we had to pay $100 to get WMC and gave up the capability to make DVDs with the Windows 8.1 version,
so I don't think it is out of line in thinking Microsoft should pay more attention
to making sure the guide updates with new data the same way they did until last year when these problems started becoming a regular occurrence. Why would anyone consider it bothering Microsoft for
expecting them to continue to provide the proper support for a product we paid for. I consider it poor customer service on Microsoft's part - they are a multi million dollar corporation and if they cared about
the customers they would not let these problems continue to happen on a monthly basis.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:00 am

davidhp wrote:if they cared about
the customers they would not let these problems continue to happen on a monthly basis.
Well there's your problem ;) They don't care about WMC users anymore

ronaldo47

Post by ronaldo47 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:58 pm

My guide data also expires on April 22nd at 6 PM MDT. I noticed it a few days ago but decided to wait a while longer. I am using Windows 7 with Comcast in Colorado (zip 80125). It used to be that this only happened once a year. It has now happened three times in the last two months. There is nothing you can do to fix this except provide feedback to Microsoft through the Connect site. There is a a link on the first post. Microsoft no longer has anyone dedicated to maintaining WMC so we need enough feedback to get their attention.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:30 am

Same issue, FIOS in NY (11566).

This is getting old... I wonder if the XB1 will be using the same guide data.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:13 am

glugglug wrote:I wonder if the XB1 will be using the same guide data.
No. XB1 guide data comes from Rovi (formerly Macrovision). WMC guide data comes from Zap2It (Tribune Media Services).

Space

Post by Space » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 am

mdavej wrote:
glugglug wrote:I wonder if the XB1 will be using the same guide data.
No. XB1 guide data comes from Rovi (formerly Macrovision). WMC guide data comes from Zap2It (Tribune Media Services).
Tribune Media Services merged with Gracenote and the combined company is called Gracenote, TMS is no more.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:47 pm

I am seeing this in 44646. For me this is the 3rd time in 30 days. It cannot be this difficult Microsoft. Here is a suggestion how about you provide an update that will allow those that wish to use an alternate method for guide data can do so, without jumping through hoops to make it work. I wish there was an an easy alternate way to update the data, I have tried several without success. Also posted to the connect page and boy that is just SO EASY to find Microsoft.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:57 am

Just did a manual guide update that was successful. The guide end date did not change but I think there is new data.

Before I did the update, the season premiere of Orphan Black BBC America on 4/18 @9PM PT was NOT showing in WMC guide. There was some movies. After the update, Orphan Black is now in the guide correctly.

Still, suggest everyone comb their scheduled recording lists for anomalies. I do it every morning, regardless.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:10 am

I am not sure that Microsoft sees stuff posted on Connect, but last time there was an MVP over at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows that updated us with information about the guide fix status.

Maybe posting there would help?

Just use "Participate- > Start a Discussion" to make a posting (must be logged in on your MSN acount).

prje

Post by prje » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:02 am

Same here - process running successfully but no data past April 22. Verizon FIOS 02053

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:11 pm

"About the Guide" says it has data out to 4/26 but the actual guide listings end at 4/22.

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:54 pm

I have been having Guide issues with Comcast in Central Delaware for a while now but I woke up at 4am today and decided to go through all of the channels they havent blocked as copy once now so I could set more shows to record and my guide craps out at

7pm on April 22nd

today is
9:30 4/14/15

So thats like 7 days of guide now where it use to be 3 weeks I guess....

I am guessing It hasn't updated for a while

I will have to remember to keep checking it because I thought I remembered checking the final day a few days ago and it was also the 22nd.

I just rightclicked manual Data Update .. I will post back in a bit if it extended the guide info

----------------------------

ok just did a manual request for data update 10:15am 4/14/15...
the guide data did not update ..
my guide is showing April 22nd 7pm

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:31 pm

WMC usually has 12 days of programing updated, the update is showing is it is completed successfully but no updated information past April 22 is display since last Friday.

Last time (last month) Eric from Ceton who has contacts with Microsoft helped by emailing them and letting them know we were having problems again. Hopefully Eric who has always
been very helpful with these issues in informing Microsoft can send another email to his contact to see if they are working on it yet. Microsoft no longer has people assigned to WMC so it is
only through the vigilance of us users and a helpful person like Eric that we get Microsoft's attention and the problem corrected.