HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
jdpapas

HTPC Specs: Show details

HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop

Post by jdpapas » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:54 am

I'm finally tiring of using my MCE over wireless, and losing playback anytime someone makes popcorn, and want to get a simple HTPC to put next to the TV and run WMC on Windows 8.1.

This is my first time looking into an HTPC, and I'd love some advice on choosing the right PC. Apologies in advance for what are likely noob questions.

I found the HP Stream 200-010 on Amazon, and I like the form factor, but am not sure it will pack enough oomph.

Specs:
Processor: 1.47 GHz Celeron 2957U
RAM: 2 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 1600 MHz
Hard Drive: 32GB M.2 SATA Solid State Drive
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 4
Video graphics: Intel HD Graphics. Up to 983MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 8

I plan on perhaps upgrading to 6GB RAM and 128 GB SSD to give a little bit more space.

For a tuner, I was planning on the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH.
Looking at the minimum requirements from Ceton, it seems like I might be ok for memory, graphics, and CPU, but I'm worried about storage.

128 GB isn't much, and while I could plug in an external 2T USB HDD, I worry that reads/writes over USB might affect playback performance.

Thoughts?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:22 am

If all you're doing is recording and playback, no transcoding, that CPU will be fine.

4GB of RAM is all you need for HTPC duties. 6GB won't hurt, but won't help really either. Just FYI.

I'd recommend the HDHomeRun Prime over the Ceton unit.

You don't want to record to an SSD, the constant writes will decrease the lifespan of the drive. Go the USB route.

Be sure to uninstall everything, and I mean everything, that comes preloaded on that PC.

Also, it only comes with Windows 8.1 w/ Bing. You will have to upgrade to 8.1 Pro, then buy the Media Center pack, to get Windows Media Center.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Recording to a USB drive should be fine - I have one system that does that, before being moved to a NAS on a script run nightly. Take advantage of USB 3.0 when picking a drive for the extra transfer rates, though!

That system has 2 SODIMM slots, so to upgrade from 2GB to 6GB means adding a 4GB module. I'd either add a second 2GB module for 4GB total, or by a 8GB kit with a matched pair of 4GB modules. Having matched sizes/specs will help with performance, and choosing to have 4GB total would most likely offer better performance than 6GB (and save some $$).

If your SSD only has to hold Windows and all the files required to run MCE, the included 32GB is enough - but the 120GB and 240GB drives are so cheap these days!

jdpapas

Post by jdpapas » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for your advice! Great stuff here, glad I posted :)

I think my USB drives are 3.0, I'll have to double-check, but bought them pretty recently.
Sounds like I'll just want to go to 4GB of RAM. Thanks for saving me some cash!

Not sure if I'll spring for the additional SSD space. Just not sure what else I may want to install on it once I've got it situated next to my TV. I think I'll just try the 32 GB for now and upgrade later if I need to.

Regarding the HDHomeRun vs Ceton, why the preference (other than the significantly cheaper price)?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Better stability with the Prime. Less figuring out what's wrong and more watching/recording Tv.