TV DVD Rips?

VaerO

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV DVD Rips?

Post by VaerO » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:44 am

Hey all,

So I'm currently in the process of ripping my entire DVD collection and archiving it onto a NAS to share to multiple devices around the house.
To do so I'm using DVD decrypter to rip the file structure from the DVD and them simply coping it's contents to the NAS device.

Movies show up in Media player fine but TV shows spread across multiple discs are a problem. Because Media Centre displays everything by disc, TV shows will have 4-6 covers showing! is there anyway to make it so that only one cover displays and then If I click on that it asks what disc I want to play? or go into a sub menu or something?

Also how can I add a synopsis? And lastly... is there anyway to make MC resume where I last played movies from the NAS like it would with a DVD?

werds

Post by werds » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:42 pm

VaerO wrote:Hey all,

So I'm currently in the process of ripping my entire DVD collection and archiving it onto a NAS to share to multiple devices around the house.
To do so I'm using DVD decrypter to rip the file structure from the DVD and them simply coping it's contents to the NAS device.

Movies show up in Media player fine but TV shows spread across multiple discs are a problem. Because Media Centre displays everything by disc, TV shows will have 4-6 covers showing! is there anyway to make it so that only one cover displays and then If I click on that it asks what disc I want to play? or go into a sub menu or something?

Also how can I add a synopsis? And lastly... is there anyway to make MC resume where I last played movies from the NAS like it would with a DVD?

Personally I moved towards using Media Browser as it allowed more logical folder structures for me. But before I made that switch and when using the standard Movie library built into WMC I learned that to accomplish what you want you have to create a DVDID.xml file that when WMC reads it, it will display the correct cover art.

http://dvdxml.com/p/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?3938

I can't remember but I think this second link is a source I briefly used before moving on to using things like YAMM and Media Browser.
http://www.dvdid.info/

VaerO

Post by VaerO » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 am

Thank you for your reply!

So I managed to download a DVDIDXML file for a tv series I ripped from dvdxml(dot)com

To start with I put the XML in the head folder but that didn't work, So I placed it in the 'Disc 01' folder and it worked, but only for that one folder. How do I edit the XML file to do what I want?

Currently the file reads

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Disc>
		<Name>South Park The Complete Eighth Season 3 Discs</Name>
		<ID>11BAB943|26C8FB01</ID>
</Disc>
What other lines of code would I need to add to make it work?

Thanks for your help :D

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:28 pm

I would suggest looking into a program called MyMovies. I use it for my DVD backup to solve this exact problem (among others) and it integrates directly into the WMC menu structure and allows you to do exactly what you're looking for.

There are different tiers for pricing (including free) and I found the one that costs $5-10 does everything I needed it to do.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:54 pm

I believe Jack Luminous added iso rip support to TV Library - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... TV_Library

When I still used WMC to house my movie/TV show rips, I used that for my TV shows; and what I would recommend. It's the best 'native' WMC looking plugin out of all the other ones I've seen.

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:02 pm

VaerO wrote:Hey all,

I use a product called 'My Movies'. They have a collection of Submitted data for each Disk ID so you don't have to write your own synopsis. It also lets you consolidate your different TV series under the Series name (just associate the disk with the TV show when you add it to your collection). I've got 770+ titles in my collection, Some ripped from disks, some recorded by my Media Center PC, some purchased as digital copies - it handles all of what I've thrown at it.

The only negative I've encountered is that when you get a large collection like I have, it takes a few moments for it to start / open and display the shows/movies. It's free to use as it's basic level, and is relatively low cost if you want to add some of the bigger functionality (you can also earn points towards that when you submit data for disks - if they don't already have the data).

It's got a nice, easy to use interface, is well integrated into Media Center and I've not found anything missing from it's functionality (at least those things that I use). It also integrates with the DVD ripping software called AnyDVD.