How to reinstall WMC?

jriker1

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to reinstall WMC?

Post by jriker1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Guess the subject says most of it. I have a Windows 7 computer that is being used to record all my TV shows and stream them to multiple Xbox 360's in the house. Over time the system has become a bit more sluggish than it used to be as I used it for multiple things so have installed other things on it that I guess has effected it in time. Now that I have dedicated computers for those other things, was thinking of re-installing the entire system from scratch. Does anyone have a guide or know where I can find one that talks about how to reinstall WMC and restore all my scheduled shows without any data loss? I have done this before, but winged it so prefer a known good approach. Note I have a complete backup of the entire system so wiping and restoring random files won't be an issue. Only thing I don't backup is the recorded shows folder. Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:55 pm

WMC is automatically included in a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional editions. As for backing up and restoring WMC settings, there are numerous threads on this forum about how to do so. Use the search box. :)
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:55 pm

jriker1 wrote:Guess the subject says most of it. I have a Windows 7 computer that is being used to record all my TV shows and stream them to multiple Xbox 360's in the house. Over time the system has become a bit more sluggish than it used to be as I used it for multiple things so have installed other things on it that I guess has effected it in time. Now that I have dedicated computers for those other things, was thinking of re-installing the entire system from scratch. Does anyone have a guide or know where I can find one that talks about how to reinstall WMC and restore all my scheduled shows without any data loss? I have done this before, but winged it so prefer a known good approach. Note I have a complete backup of the entire system so wiping and restoring random files won't be an issue. Only thing I don't backup is the recorded shows folder. Thoughts?

Thanks.

JR
As said , all this information is available with a search.

Backup Scheduled series
SeansWMC backup (google it)

If you want to backup your channel line up
Guidetool ($5)

These should help..I used them in my last rebuild got everthing back to normal in about 5 min...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012