What to replace Media Center with

kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kd6icz » Sun May 03, 2015 11:02 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Ceton should attempt to buy #WindowsMediaCenter and maybe even put it on Kickstarter to find it... I posted this to twitter this morning...

https://twitter.com/TheCoolDave/status/ ... 1643019264

Feel free to re-tweet...

and if your on twitter, do a search for the hashtag #WindowsMediaCenter re-tweet everything you can, Let's make our voice heard !
I re-tweeted.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Tue May 05, 2015 12:54 am

Beerman wrote:My money is on Ceton to come up with something. If Silicon is, I'm betting Ceton is.
MC is running great for me in 8.1. I've thought for a while now that MS would screw the pooch of WMC. I think the cable industry would like to end the use of cable cards and can't but if most of those who use them stop when WMC is killed, then the cable companies can slowly kill cable cards.
My own conspiracy theory.
https://twitter.com/cetoncorp

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue May 05, 2015 12:59 am

Hey they're not dead!

andino

Post by andino » Wed May 06, 2015 3:58 am

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu May 07, 2015 8:40 am

just heard from TwitTV/Windows Weekly and Paul Thurrot that Media Centre is DEAD,windows 10 wont have it. Well thats the end of Windows 10 for me

GnatGoSplat

Post by GnatGoSplat » Fri May 08, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm hoping there will be a hack to put it back in Windows 10.
Microsoft killed off the Sidebar Desktop Gadgets (one of my favorite features from Vista and 7), but DesktopGadgetsRevived still works on Windows 10 build 10074.
Here's to hoping there will be a MediaCenterRevived app.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sat May 09, 2015 4:55 pm

I am holding out faith for Silicon and Ceton. It's almost all they do so they need those of us who use them now to continue to do so. However, reality is, W7 and W8 work great for me and what else do I need W10 for? In fact, Ubuntu and other Linux distros can almost do everything else I use windows for anyway.
I'm still not sure how long I'll even use cable cards. I've been thinking about cutting the cord and just grabbing all I want from Netflix, Hulu and maybe a few other subscriptions. Some friends and family already have gone terrestrial and Slingbox. But there's something about turning the tv on and going live that I like often. I just wish I could pick the channels I want from my cable company and not have to pay for the other 300 channels they offer that no one watches.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sat May 09, 2015 8:44 pm

the twittv/windows weekly show is worth a listen just for that section about half way thru

http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/412

where mary jo folley characterises us all as stick in the muds as "dont care not going to move, it works <grunt> " people :lol: ( who is she to talk thus as she only ever uses notepad or wordpad for her journalism) Paul Thurrot says it was good in its day but hasnt been developed since 2009 and that Xbox is the future for those who want to watch & record tv on computers. ( I doubt that notepad also has seen much devlopment since 2000? or before but there is no talk of killing that?) Seems to me killing media centre is just more of the same mentality that tried to foist the windows 8 interface onto us?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sat May 09, 2015 11:05 pm

Following a link in either this thread or another, I sent in a comment to MS about it's decision to not include it in W10. Here' s the reply I got:
Good day!
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.
I understand that you wanted to have the Windows Media Center on Windows 10. Since we are yet to hasten this software, it is expected that there are glitches that may encountered causing some technical issues making it for some programs like the media center not to work. Currently bugs and errors are being looked into so that all Microsoft programs can be of no issues on Windows 10 including the media center.
Since we are welcoming all of your comments, we recommend that you submit a feedback regarding your experience. Please refer to the website below.
• Updates and Feedbacks
Microsoft always strive to create a positive customer experience and that can only be achieved with your help. Rest assured that we are doing the best that we can to build a flawless Windows 10.
We appreciate your business with us.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm

well that not very good English? and dont seem to be in the know about the policy to exclude Media Center from Windows 10 in future? The twit ref referred to people at the top making the decision. I wouldn't put any store in that reply. Media Center is GONE. END.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sat May 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Beerman wrote:I am holding out faith for Silicon and Ceton. It's almost all they do so they need those of us who use them now to continue to do so. However, reality is, W7 and W8 work great for me and what else do I need W10 for? In fact, Ubuntu and other Linux distros can almost do everything else I use windows for anyway.
I'm still not sure how long I'll even use cable cards. I've been thinking about cutting the cord and just grabbing all I want from Netflix, Hulu and maybe a few other subscriptions. Some friends and family already have gone terrestrial and Slingbox. But there's something about turning the tv on and going live that I like often. I just wish I could pick the channels I want from my cable company and not have to pay for the other 300 channels they offer that no one watches.
The sad thing, what you want is available in the UK with terrestrial ota tv and media center does a fine job in viewing and saving whats broadcast. A sad day for users in the UK

giepie

Post by giepie » Tue May 12, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi guys

Is this topic dead?

Its been over a year since the last post, and I think we should bring the discussion back to live again. Lots have happened since the last post.

Me, well, I'm still running WMC7 with DVB-S2 card, DVB-T2 USB, Analog Hauppauge (connecting to my STB's and changing channels via IR blaster), XBox 360's in bedrooms for live TV etc.

But the system is getting outdated fast, with no IPTV support (unless you purchase the DVBLogic plugin), and each time you add another TV card you have to reconfigure almost everything TV related.

MediaPortal stopped IR blasting, so that is no alternative for me in any case.

What do you guys say? What's news on your side and your HTPC's?

G

[Moderator note: post moved]

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 pm

I guess you missed the big news, at least for us cable subscribers:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... e-imagined

Personally, I'm sticking with WMC for the foreseeable future.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun May 17, 2015 9:03 am

I wonder to what extent MS aim in making windows 10 free for a year to get rid of the XP type ghetto in future will in fact backfire and leave lots of 7 or 8 pcs unprotected causing trouble in years to come?