WMC Passthrough settings

russds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by russds » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Well, I may have really messed it up now. I tried resetting all the shark settings, using the suggested settings, and toggling the swap tab settings, and I kept getting the error, "Video Error: Files needed to display video ...Please restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer.". So I uninstalled the shark codecs (32bit and 64bit) and still getting the video error. So my question is, does uninstalling shark really uninstall and reset everything?

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:24 pm

russds wrote:So my question is, does uninstalling shark really uninstall and reset everything?
If you used an official uninstall method, yes it uninstalls properly and resets everything back to the Windows components.
Here are 3 separate official methods: uninstall button on the Help TAB - Control Panel | Programs and Features - uninstall shortcut on the startmenu
Also know, there are 2 items to uninstall. the x64Components have separate uninstaller(s) from the 32bit uninstaller.

If you used something like Revo Uninstaller, no, it will not uninstall properly.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:16 pm

It should be noted that over the years, many people have reported that uninstalling the codec pack does not completely reverse all changes made to the system while the codec pack was installed. In many cases, it was necessary to restore a system image that was created prior to installation of the codec pack, or completely re-install the OS.

That said, the video error message could indicate a conflict between the WMC and Windows audio settings. Set WMC to 2-channel and then don't ever touch that setting again. There is absolutely no reason to adjust the setting in WMC.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:31 pm

richard1980 wrote:It should be noted that over the years, many people have reported that uninstalling the codec pack does not completely reverse all changes made to the system while the codec pack was installed.
To follow up on Richards' revelations, those reports are not 'over the years' as he states but from several years ago when there was actually a problem that I had fixed when reported, several years ago. There is no such report that is current, let alone from the past few years.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:00 am

I don't use your software, so I can't offer my own experience. But I've seen numerous posts where someone installs some codec pack (yours or some other) and they don't get the result they want, so they start making changes to various settings (both in and out of your GUI), and next thing you know the whole system is messed up. While I believe you when you say that uninstalling your software undoes all the changes that your software itself made to the system, I do not believe that uninstalling your software undoes all the changes that the user made to the system outside of your software. Here are three examples:
  1. If your software calls a function/method from an external source, you rely on that external source to perform some action, but you don't have any way of knowing exactly what the function/method is doing internally. You may know what return values you can receive, but you don't know exactly what all happened during the call.
  2. If your software makes a change to the system, and then some other software makes a change because of the change that your software made, your software is going to be unaware of that other change unless you have some kind of listener service running.
  3. If the user makes a change completely outside of your GUI, your software won't know about it unless you've got a listener service running.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:28 am

richard1980 wrote:I don't use your software, so I can't offer my own experience.
No, but eluding to it possibly leaving someone broken is no problem for you, just read on...
richard1980 wrote:But I've seen numerous posts where someone installs some codec pack (yours or some other) and they don't get the result they want, so they start making changes to various settings (both in and out of your GUI), and next thing you know the whole system is messed up.
Almost always in these types of situations as described, the system was screwed already from the users prior attempts to get something working without the assistance of a well put together software that happens to include codecs too. Had they chose to use my software from the get-go, they wouldnt be trying to solve issues. I also run my own forum and as much as 95% of all peoples issues are resolved there.
richard1980 wrote:While I believe you when you say that uninstalling your software undoes all the changes that your software itself made to the system,
wow. Thanks!
richard1980 wrote:I do not believe that uninstalling your software undoes all the changes that the user made to the system outside of your software.
its not system restore, its a codec package.