Bright colors going bright/dim. Is the 29/59 bug?

qwerty11

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bright colors going bright/dim. Is the 29/59 bug?

Post by qwerty11 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:09 am

I have turned off dynamic contrast for my AMD 5450 graphics card. This stopped the major flickering issues. Now i am noticing bright colors are going from dim to bright. Is this part of the 29/59 bug or is this something else?

crawfish

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by crawfish » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 am

Make sure you turn off all the other "enhancements", except deinterlacing/inverse telecine, though you could experiment with turning them off, too. That said, when I last tried AMD cards, throughout the year 2011 with three cards in the 6450-6670 series IIRC, there was a unique "frame jumbling" bug for 29/59 material I observed on two different PCs and two different displays. It appeared a frame was played out of sequence, as opposed to a flicker or brightness change. It did not occur with Nvidia, so I stuck with Nvidia despite the stuttering effects they exhibited with some 29/59 material. The same cards have gotten better since then with new broadcasts, and I attribute that improvement to Cox and those upstream in the broadcast chain.

With Nvidia cards, I sometimes see a subtle brightness shift only in programs on the FX channel, which is 720p, and thus not 29/59 bug material. This could happen a handful of times in a one hour show, and IIRC, it didn't happen with all FX programs I watch, just some. This does not happen when viewing those same episodes from other sources, so I figured it was just Cox or those upstream from them derping it up again.