Make my WMC better!

lonepalm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Make my WMC better!

Post by lonepalm » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Ok, so let me start off with the fact that I am not very knowledgeable with WMC, Kodi, etc. I am very, very new to all of this and am trying my best to read up on the different sort of things and options available. This is very daunting and frankly, frightening. I tried to take some time and set up Kodi, but could not get both the front end and backend stuff working properly. I really am just looking for the "coolest", "best", "most advanced" solution here. I do like WMC, don't get me wrong, but I'm afraid that it will eventually stop being supported (if it hasn't already) and I will be left out in the cold.

So, my requirements? A guide, watch live TV, and record...all from remote TVs (currently connected to Xbox 360s using WMC). I would like a nice overlay (I actually do like WMCs) and such, but I don't have HBO and others, so integrating that stuff isn't a requirement (although we do use Netflix and Amazon Prime Movies, so integration would be nice, but not a must).

Does anyone know of any cool additions to Windows Media Center? I have the logos, but that's about it. Tried to get Media Browser working, couldn't. Again, I am very much a noob. I can build my computer, but can't setup cool stuff like this...go figure. Any suggestions at all, whether it be to make WMC better/cooler, or other options, is welcome!

Thanks!!

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:51 pm

If all you need it guide, live TV, recording, and Netflix/Amazon and you're using Xbox 360s, then you basically don't need many other add-ins.

WMC will take care of all of this and do it perfectly. Nothing MediaBrowser, Kodi, or many other add-ins can do to improve that.

If you're interested in adding your movie collection (ripping DVDs, or recording and saving a lot of content) you may look into something like MyMovies or RecordedTVHD.

Those two programs integrate with WMC and change the look and feel of your Movies/Recorded TV views and add covers, descriptions, and more details when viewing and browsing movies.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:54 pm

And as for WMC not being supported, as long as you stay with the Windows installation that you've got now don't expect to have any problems for the foreseeable future.

The tuners and support for what you've already got, along with the XBox 360s should last for years.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:15 am

RecordedTV HD is very cool. But my family didn't care for the vastly greater complexity. And while navigating through cover art looks cool, it's nowhere near as efficient as the list view in WMC. I've tried many add-ons for WMC but always end up going back to stock, except for MCL.

To just change the looks of WMC, use Media Center Studio: http://assassinhtpcblog.com/MCS/MCS%20Installer.EXE