Display embedded PGS subtitles for MKV?

cncb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display embedded PGS subtitles for MKV?

Post by cncb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:52 pm

I have MKV files with embedded PGS subtitles that I would like to display in WMC. I have the LAV Filters installed and registered properly. This guide suggests that embedded subtitles should display just using the LAV Filters but this was not the case, so I installed xy-vsfilter and still can't get them to display in WMC. GraphEditx64 displays them ok. Is there any way to display embedded PGS subtitles in WMC? Thanks.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:21 pm

once your struggle becomes frustration, I suggest that you uninstall both LAV and xy-VSFilter.

install the Shark007 STANDARD Codecs.
This release only contains LAV and xy-VSFilter.

The 32 and 64bit GUI's will come up after installation.
click the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox on both GUI's.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

cncb

Post by cncb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would like to figure out what setting I am missing without installing a codec pack.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:27 am

cncb wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but I would like to figure out what setting I am missing without installing a codec pack.
I agree with cbcb, Shark007 is a great codec pack. It's not like the others that are pushed on your around the web. While not endorsed, it is not vilified by Microsoft as is a couple other packs which I will not name.

I have ADVANCED installed on my machine and my 81 year old mother has STANDARD. Both work great and play 95% of all things we send to the Xbox Media Center. For the rare file(s) it has trouble with, we have Universal Media Server installed as an emergency backup -- that plays everything, but is not upnp, not Media Center.

Shark007 is the only such package that I install on my computers -- all of them. Easy to maintain and now can do in-place upgrades to the newer codec packs.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:25 am

cncb, do you have both x32 and x64 xy-vsfilters installed? If not install both. Also install 32bit and x64bit LAV Filters.
Both can reside on an x64 bit OS and are required to get subtitles working without a codec pack.
newfiend

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Thanks for the help. I installed the 32-bit xy-vsfilter but for some reason it still won't work (xy-vsfilter is never loaded/shown in the system tray) if the LAV Video decoder is being used (H264 video). I'm not sure why, but If I switch it back to the Microsoft video decoder I get subtitles as expected.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:00 am

In the guide at the HTPC.net you linked to in an earlier post there is this paragraph below..

What we’re going to do is choose USE MERIT as the preferred decoder for all VIDEO formats, with the exception of WMV files (unless you just want to)( I left all my .WMV options on Microsoft.) For all AUDIO formats, select LAV Audio. Once complete, click the Apply & Close button, which returns us to the initial options box. Just click Exit when there to close the tweaker application.

I made bold an important part of the instructions there. You want to USE MERIT option in the Tweaker Application for all VIDEO formats except the WMV options. Then select LAV Audio for all Audio formats.

See if that helps, instead of selecting LAV for (.H264) decoding select USE MERIT instead. This works well for me on WIndows 7. Although I don't know if my Subs are Embeded in PGS format.. I know a lot of mine use external subs or I use .MKV Merge to include them inside my .MKV files and xy-vsfilter works great.

Another option if it's a .mkv file would be to use .MKV MergeGUI with gMKVExtractGUI and extract the subtitle track from the .MKV then place the extracted subtitle file in the same folder as the Move file as an "external" .PGS subtitle file. https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvto ... loads.html click on Windows at the top to DL and install .MKVMergeGUI, http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvextractgui-2/files/ for .MKVExtractGUI

Another option for subs for a particular movie would be to go here http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search and download a .SRT subtitle file for your particular movie you are having an issue with and place that in the same folder as your movie.
Out of curiosity what container are your movies in? .MKV .MP4 etc?
HTH,
newfiend~

cncb

Post by cncb » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:39 am

These are .MKVs and the USE MERIT option somehow allows me to have subtitles with the LAV Video decoder. Thanks!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:43 am

cncb wrote:These are .MKVs and the USE MERIT option somehow allows me to have subtitles with the LAV Video decoder. Thanks!
no problem. If you have any more questions or problems let me know I may be able to help. Are you using Media Browser 3 at all?

If you want to toggle the subs on and off you can use this little utility MCE RemotePlus v1.3 to do so http://www.headsoft.com.au/?category=mce
I set this up with my harmony remote and can toggle subs on and off at will.
newfiend~