MC zooming videos on playback

PoBear

HTPC Specs: Show details

MC zooming videos on playback

Post by PoBear » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:11 am

Hi

First let me say that this is not a traditional MC zoom problem e.g. not related to zoom 1,2,3 or 4 settings. I've tried these and they just make the problem worse.

I've just switched (same PC) from using a widescreen CRT TV to a full LED TV. I've run the setup again for display and all though there still appears to be an overscan problem everything completed OK (this is minor in comparison to the actual problem).

I've setup my desktop to fill the screen at 1920x1080. The card is an ATI HD 4550 and I am connecting to the TV using an HDMI cable

Most of my content is UK SD TV (DIVX in an AVI container) 720x576 but intended for widescreen display. Some of my files are 544x576 (DIVX)(widescreen) and some HD content.

Let me start by saying that the 544x576 and HD content is displayed full screen without problem, as far as I am aware it is only the 720x576 that is causing problems, this come in two flavours, content recorded for a 16:9 screen and older content in 4:3 format. I am not trying to stretch the 4:3 to fit the screen I am happy to have the two vertical bars. The problem occurs whether it is 16:9 or 4:3 content.

So the problem. On playback MC is zooming the 720x576 content, I originally thought it was just horizontally but there may also be some vertical zooming (this may just be the overscan). MC is not zooming the desktop just the video. I run Mediabrowser which overlays content onto the video at start and during a pause and this is not zoomed and is displaying correctly for the display, so I do not believe it is a TV setup problem.

Sometime the zoom is immediate, sometimes it occurs after about 5 seconds. My estimate is that I am losing at 20% of the image on both sides of the screen.

I've played the videos on another MC install without a problem (this was always HD) and in different players on the same PC without problem.

I've gone through the registry and as far as I can see MC is setup for the correct resolution.

Any ideas as it is driving me mad.

Many thanks

PoBear

Post by PoBear » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:29 am

Don't worry, fixed.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:04 pm

PoBear wrote:Don't worry, fixed.
Just Curious - HOW? I know that when you set up TV in WMC, it does it's OWN adjustments to many things, and lack of visibility on what and why drives me CRAZY

PoBear

Post by PoBear » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 am

Despite having run the TV set up at least 8 times in the last week, with exactly the same parameters each time, I tried it again last night to see if the registry entries changed and miraculously the extra zoom has disappeared, don't know whether to be annoyed or relieved also a bit nervous of touching the PC again.