XBox remote stops working after upgrade to Win-8

RASSRQ

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox remote stops working after upgrade to Win-8

Post by RASSRQ » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 pm

I've long run Windows Media Center (Vista, Win7) using 3 Xbox 360s. I just upgraded from Win7 to Win8.1 Pro with the Media Center pack, and find that the every XBox suddenly ceases to respond to the remote control. (Actually, it responds for power off, etc., but not for any key that would move around the Media Center screen displayed via the XBox.) Rebooting the Windows Media Center machine solves the problem for a while, and then it starts again. Never happened using Win7 with Media Center.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help or pointers to solve this.

Thank you.

RASSRQ

Post by RASSRQ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:16 am

I've found events in the Windows Event Viewer that seem likely to be related to this. The events are:

Source: Media Center Extender
Event ID: 117
Task Category: Session Enforcement
General (description): "The Media Center Extender user was abruptly disconnected."

But I have no idea of the root cause or how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:41 am

RASSRQ wrote:I've found events in the Windows Event Viewer that seem likely to be related to this. The events are:

Source: Media Center Extender
Event ID: 117
Task Category: Session Enforcement
General (description): "The Media Center Extender user was abruptly disconnected."

But I have no idea of the root cause or how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Did you do an Upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.1 or a fresh install of 8.1?
newfiend~

RASSRQ

Post by RASSRQ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:35 pm

I did a fresh install from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 Pro, and then added the Media Pack.

Thanks for your interest. Any ideas?

RASSRQ

Post by RASSRQ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:18 pm

I now believe the Event-ID 117, "abruptly disconnected", I mentioned above has nothing to do with the cause of the problem; they simply reflect when I powered off the Xbox to reboot it after the remote control was already not having an effect. Sorry for the misleading info. So, in fact, there are no seemingly unusual events registered.

I'm stuck ....

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:25 pm

If the Extenders were set up prior in Windows 7 you may need to remove the extender connection on the PC as well as the Extender then set up the Extender connection again.
You want to remove the Extender connection from the PC then the XBOX.. Follow the instructions in Step 2 here http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/ ... indows-7#2 for •Computer steps: Remove previous connections And •Console steps: Remove previous connections.

Then reboot the PC and set up the Extender connections again. If that doesn't fix it post back. Also make sure the batteries in the remote control are new.
newfiend~

RASSRQ

Post by RASSRQ » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:26 pm

newfriend,
Many thanks for the interest. The extenders were set up totally anew after the fresh install of Win 8.1

FYI, I think I've resolved it. I'll post it here just in the unlikely event someone else runs into this unusual circumstance:

After getting Win 8.1 installed, Media Center installed, the 3 Xbox extenders set up, and other essential software installed I created a restore point, and then installed a few other pieces of software, one of which was 'Start Menu Reviver 2' (which was highly recommended in reviews), which produces a jazzed-up Start button/menu since the Start button essentially disappeared in Windows 8. In principle it was nice, but I noticed some strange stuff, like I had Auto-Hide set on my desktop task-bar, and that didn't pop up until some significant delay, and sometimes only if I rolled the mouse down past right of center on the bottom of the screen. Then I had a hunch that since SMR2 was intercepting mouse events, and perhaps remote 'keyboard' events, that it may be the culprit. So I rolled back to the restore point before Start Menu Revivier 2, and sure enough, the problem of the Xbox remote keys doing nothing disappeared.

Again, thanks for your interest.