Dallas TWC and Discovery channel

bsell1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dallas TWC and Discovery channel

Post by bsell1 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 pm

I have TWC in the Dallas area, and for some reason I have no problems picking up any channels that I subscribe to except for the Discovery channel, and I keep getting a "copying prohibited" message everytime I go to that channel. Any idea why?

chrisdfw

Post by chrisdfw » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:31 am

In dallas seeing odd issues too. Ceton infinitv4 getting lots of no signal. The homerun is doing better

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:04 am

For OP, I am also going to assume cablecard tuner and by "any channels that I subscribe to" isn't primarily a locals only package. What type (brand) of cablecard and what firmware? Cisco cards on the 1.5.3 firmware do not pass the cci copy freely flag "properly" (in my opinion, but it is part of cablelabs spec) in such cases an OCUR device (prime, infinitv) must obey all other copy flags present including cgms restrictions(this only includes OCUR devices, UDCP products like tivo dont have as strict of rules) ... if for some reason that channel is set to copy freely (in my opinion very rare on TWC but every now and then I do hear of a market where discovery is unrestricted) that channel has used CGMS in the past to restrict copying, occasionally by "accident" as they often pass what the source has on it rather than set the cgms themselves at the network..

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:01 pm

bsell1 wrote:I have TWC in the Dallas area, and for some reason I have no problems picking up any channels that I subscribe to except for the Discovery channel, and I keep getting a "copying prohibited" message everytime I go to that channel. Any idea why?

BTW, on Dallas TWC this channel is available as QAM channel 2. So I set my Discovery Channel to use the QAM signal first... I had signal strength issues with the higher number cable-card channel...