Finally considering the jump to Windows 8

Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ed  » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:08 pm

For streaming services, you need to just accept you either have to use a mouse and keyboard if you wanna do it through the computer; or give up on the idea of doing it through the computer and use a stb device if you want to use a remote.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Ha, you guys are a bunch of quitters, I refuse to believe I can't find a solution.

Seriously though, I did install WIn8 on my laptop last night and it's pretty disappointing how inadequate the controls are for Metro and its apps.

I was able to get the remote working with the WatchESPN app via mapping keyboard shortcuts to it, so I may have found a solution on that front. So far I've got WMC, the Netflix app inside WMC, and WatchESPN all functioning to a point where it would be accetpable.

Seems like it will be a mixed bag with the rest of the apps I'd like to use though (all of the NBC, USA, Bravo, and other cable TV apps).

I think as a last resort a remote with that trackball will probably be what I go with.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Eh, you're the one who will go bald pulling his hair out, not me :D :P

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Ed  wrote:Eh, you're the one who will go bald pulling his hair out, not me :D :P
Yeah maybe. I enjoy this type of trouble shooting and setup though so doesn't bother me much.

I just think back to the 90s and setting up and using the All-in-Wonder tuners, audio setups from sound blasters, and trying to get remotes working with crappy software. This is all a cakewalk compared to that.

cncb

Post by cncb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 pm

You could also use your harmony to control the mouse (e.g. map mouse movement commands to directional arrows on your remote).

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:53 pm

cncb wrote:You could also use your harmony to control the mouse (e.g. map mouse movement commands to directional arrows on your remote).
Yeah I considered that also. I'm not sure if I can map it to work differently in specific Windows 8 Apps. If I could that would be a good solution, I don't want to have it controlling the mouse in programs that support the regular remote functions.

cncb

Post by cncb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:17 pm

If you don't want to create separate Harmony "activities", you would have to use 3rd-party software (e.g. Eventghost) to respond to the remote commands differently based on what app is being controlled.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Actually now that I think of it, I have a couple of devices unused on my Harmony (There are 5 total devices that can be controlled and I only use 3). I could easily just make a new profile for a device that basically operates the PC like a mouse.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:21 pm

you could use the kylo browser too...
Lee

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:30 pm

milli260876 wrote:you could use the kylo browser too...
Yeah, I did install and give that a shot but it's buggy at best. Poor playback quality in WatchESPN compared to the standalone app (or even just the website in Chrome/Firefox), and Big Ten Network it barely plays at all.

After trying Win8 for a few nights on the laptop I'm leaning towards sticking with Win7 and finding solutions there. The new start menu and Win8 apps are godawful and unintuitive when it comes to controls. And the fact that when you exit out of an app it takes you to the desktop instead of back to the start menu that the PC starts into makes no sense.

Really disappointing implementation all around for TV users, I'm not a fan so far.

For the moment I've got a decently working setup with WMC and Media Browser 3 that does most of what I need. PlayON is working as a solution for a few of those "Apps" that I was looking for in Win8 including WatchESPN and USA Network/Bravo.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:59 pm

My sentiments exactly. I went through all of this many months ago when Win 8 was first released, then promptly uninstalled it from my HTPC. Barely anything has changed in that time to make it more HTPC friendly. That's disappointing too, since the metro interface would be a great fit for TV if it fully supported a keyboard/remote.

I still find Roku to be a far superior experience for streaming apps, both in terms of ease of control and picture quality. I at least has WatchESPN. The picture quality is vastly better than anything on a PC for apps like Hulu, HBO, SHO and the WMC version of Netflix.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:07 pm

mdavej wrote:My sentiments exactly. I went through all of this many months ago when Win 8 was first released, then promptly uninstalled it from my HTPC. Barely anything has changed in that time to make it more HTPC friendly. That's disappointing too, since the metro interface would be a great fit for TV if it fully supported a keyboard/remote.

I still find Roku to be a far superior experience for streaming apps, both in terms of ease of control and picture quality. I at least has WatchESPN. The picture quality is vastly better than anything on a PC for apps like Hulu, HBO, SHO and the WMC version of Netflix.
Yeah the Roku in the bedroom is great. If it wasn't for the limitations on the Live TV (because even without cable I still watch the broadcast channels a good amount) I would replace everything with Rokus.

I also use my HTPC for gaming so it just makes sense to keep that as the primary machine on the living room TV.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Compare the const of a Roku 8 to a copy of Windows 8.1 with MCE. It's also smaller, use less power, it's so easy that a 6 year old can use it, and with apps like Plex you can watch the non-DRM stuff on your WMC if you keep it on the network somewhere.

I have a Win 7 HTPC, a Roku, and copy-freely programming; we watch a small number of shows through MCE, but almost all the recorded shows get transcoded with MCEBuddy and watched on the Roku.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:47 pm

You guys don't have to sell me on Rokus, I have two of them and love them for what I use them for. It's still not a viable option for the room I'm working on a solution for where I need Live TV and use the PC for gaming as well.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:52 pm

LuckyDay wrote:You guys don't have to sell me on Rokus, I have two of them and love them for what I use them for. It's still not a viable option for the room I'm working on a solution for where I need Live TV and use the PC for gaming as well.
A Roku/stb device won't prevent you from also using your HTPC for gaming and live TV at the same set.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Do you really need live TV? Really?
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:39 pm

LuckyDay wrote:You guys don't have to sell me on Rokus, I have two of them and love them for what I use them for. It's still not a viable option for the room I'm working on a solution for where I need Live TV and use the PC for gaming as well.
Ok, fair enough. You asked about Windows 8 opinions and you got advice to get a Roku, so you didn't really get the discussion you were looking for.

Keep in mind that your driving force is WAF for online/streaming content without using a browser. Microsoft just doesn't have good support for streaming content outside of the browser, and Roku (and other similar devices) are much better in that regard. IMO this is a big failing on Microsoft's part; Microsoft could have dominated the streaming/set top box market but instead they totally dropped the ball. Many people, you and I included, have a Windows HTPC and a Roku. The downside is the need to switch TV inputs and have another remote, but it is still so much better than streaming content on Windows.

You can take everyone's suggestion to get a Roku, to mean that there is no good way to get what you want out of Windows with a high WAF. Sorry.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:57 pm

mark1234 wrote:Do you really need live TV? Really?
No, I just keep mentioning it despite having no use for it.

We watch a lot of sports. Sports are generally watched live.
A Roku/stb device won't prevent you from also using your HTPC for gaming and live TV at the same set.
And that may be the route I go. The point of the thread is to get options, input, and ideas to see what path I want to take.

So far the options I'm weighing are:

- Win7 as is and use plugins and such for content. I have PlayON and it's 50/50 on whether it works. If I could get that working it would solve 99% of my problems as I can run it through Media Browser. When it's working it's very easy to use and has a high WAF.

- Win8 and use something like the trackball remote as mentioned above, or map a device on my Harmony to serve as the mouse/buttons. This should theoretically also be fairly easy to use. Most of the streaming apps I need are provided as Win8 apps and look good when they're playing. This still may be the route to go because all it requires is a mouse for using these apps.

- Roku and HTPC combined to do what each other doesn't. While this is the easiest to use without any setup, it also requires two remotes, two inputs, and the Roku interface just isn't as customizable for my collections and media. I would essentially just have the ROKU for a few streaming apps and use the HTPC for everything else. Again, not really an issue, it's also an option.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Oh forgot, final option would be to buy another 360 for the living room and use that. That would be better than the Roku, all the Live TV and media on the same device as well as lots of good streaming apps.

I know that would be a good solution, but I'd like to avoid dropping $200 if possible.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:18 pm

The 360 is my vote, if you want it all in one box/input/remote. The only downside is that streaming apps, aside from Xbox Video and WMC (not sure about Plex yet; its still in Plex Pass only period and I'm not a member), stream in just 720p.

As for the price, Black Friday is only a week away. And then holiday sales right after that.