Navigating from day to day through the Guide

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
martinu

HTPC Specs: Show details

Navigating from day to day through the Guide

Post by martinu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:05 am

Is there a way of scrolling quickly through the Guide from one day to the next? There's the four-way arrow control which scrolls one screenful at a time forwards or backwards or displays the next few channels, but all the obvious things like Ctrl-click, Shift-click, Alt-click on the right-hand arrow still move in the same way - nothing takes you on by one day. Likewise for the cursor-right arrow key on its own and with Ctrl, Shift and Alt.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:52 am

martinu wrote:Is there a way of scrolling quickly through the Guide from one day to the next?
On the infra-red remote control, the SKIP-FORWARD and SKIP-BACK keys move 12 hours through the EPG (so two presses moves one day), and the CHANNEL-UP and CHANNEL-DOWN keys scroll the EPG vertically by one screenful.

Your post suggests that you are using a mouse and keyboard. There are keyboard equivalents for most or all of the remote control functions. If you Google for "windows media center keyboard shortcuts" you will probably find a complete list, but from my notes:

SKIP-FORWARD = CTRL-F
SKIP-BACKWARD = CTRL-B
CHANNEL-UP = PAGE-UP
CHANNEL-DOWN = PAGE-DOWN

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

martinu

Post by martinu » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks. That solves the problem perfectly. It advances in 12-hour jumps so it's necessary to scroll manually within this 12-hour window, but you can quickly go from day to day. It's described in http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/wind ... -shortcuts. It's a shame that they didn't use the standard Windows metaphor of Ctrl-click and Shift-click to move in larger jumps, or even have << and >> buttons as well as the < and > buttons, but I suppose it's par for the course with Media Centre which has a very odd and clumsy user-interface!

I've not got a remote control for Media Centre because I don't use it for watching programmes, only as a front-end for programming timed events. Having got my .dvr-ms (or .wtv) file, I top-and-tail it and remove the commercials with VideoReDo and then watch using Media Player which has much better navigation capabilities than Media Centre. For precise control (eg when transcribing successive pages of the credits for submission to IMDB) I use VideoReDo.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:49 am

martinu wrote:Thanks. That solves the problem perfectly. It advances in 12-hour jumps so it's necessary to scroll manually within this 12-hour window, but you can quickly go from day to day.
One other pair of buttons/keys that you might find useful when navigating the EPG are FAST-FORWARD and FAST-REWIND, which move the displayed EPG window by three hours. Personally, I find this annoying (it ought to have been two hours, i.e. the width of the EPG window), but it is still better than using the LEFT/RIGHT keys to move the focus in the EPG. From my notes:

FAST-FORWARD = CTRL-SHIFT-F
FAST-REWIND = CTRL-SHIFT-B

-- from CyberSimian in the UK