UK Freeview EPG runs out 25th October 2014

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

UK Freeview EPG runs out 25th October 2014

Post by IT Troll » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:04 pm

My guide listings end 25/10/2014. The log shows that the guide data is being downloaded and processed without error.

Is anyone else finding the same?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Yep, seems to be the same clock change problem we have had previously.

Please vote it up.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1002317
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:40 am

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I've voted but didn't think MS were using that Connect site for EPG issues anymore? I'm sure they said to use Microsoft Customer Service instead. Perhaps the next time one of those helpful folks phones me up from "Windows Technical Support" I can ask them?

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ils/834952
EPG is considered a legacy application within Microsoft, which means the developers who designed the systems have been reassigned to other projects, and only provide break fix support in addition to their other duties. As time goes on and people move on, there are fewer people who are familiar with the system, and it takes longer to respond to problems like this.

We understand that there are still many dedicated media center users, and there are currently no plans to shut down EPG. Additionally there are steps we can take to catch issue and resolve issues such as this more quickly. For the past year the server engineering team for EPG has also maintained this site and responded to data quality complaints. However, we also support many other applications in addition to EPG, and it has been difficult to respond in a timely manner to issues raised on this site.

As such, the decision has been made to shut the Media Center Data Quality site down, and route data quality issues through Microsoft Customer Service. Customer service will investigate initially, and then escalate to our team if data quality issues are suspected. This should increase the visibility of issues raised, and provide accountability to getting them resolved more quickly.

New requests for help can now be raised at this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... nvistatab1

Thanks for continuing to use Media Center. We will do our best to keep it up and running for you.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:39 am

I've just tried having a support chat with "Justin R". Before the chat was dropped he asked me to check for any Windows Updates and if I had Media Centre installed. He also gave me a link to an MS Answers page regarding the big data outage over Dec 2012/Jan 2013. So, no use whatsoever. Surprised? No.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Tried again, this time with "Fatima M". Over an hour before the chat got dropped and no progress. They clearly haven't got any awareness of EPG issues and what to do with them. Both times they were clearly googling for similar issues and sending me links to previous data failures and trying to make sure I knew how to perform a guide update.

I'm not going to try again. I think I can see this "fixing itself" after the clocks have changed. Of course that means no data for a day or two...

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:55 pm

So they leave the site operational but just don't check on it anymore. Well that is class.

I tried the alternative link but couldn't see anywhere where I could report an EPG problem.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:14 am

There isn't anywhere specific to raise EPG issues, you just have to go in with it being a Windows error and hope you get the one person who's heard of Media Centre. I've contacted Ian Dixon and asked him to raise it with MS through his MVP contacts.

https://twitter.com/isdixon/status/523147627869642752

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:22 am

Thanks, fingers crossed it filters through to the last person in Microsoft who knows how to fix it.

I find it strange that Microsoft are hell bent on running Media Center into the ground. Whilst at the same time Google are actively developing Android TV which will soon come embedded in TVs and other living room boxes. Something Microsoft tried and failed to do with Media Center.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:56 am

For what it is worth I have posted this issue on the Microsoft Community forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/da3 ... f897459e61

colincliff

Post by colincliff » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:20 pm

Same issue here, hopefully we'll get some information soon. Did something similar happen last Christmas too? I seem to remember it was due to members of staff being on holiday or something like that!

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Yep, typically we get it at each clock change and at Christmas. So 2 or 3 times a year depending which way the wind is blowing.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 am

I've just forced an update and now have a fortnight's worth of data. Happy days are here again.

iankb

Post by iankb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:12 am

I noticed that it was only the HD channels that had missing data. SD channels were fine, but then who records from those if they have the choice.

Anyway, everything back to normal now.

The problem is that, because of the continuing lack of series links, I always check that the next episode has been scheduled before deleting an episode that I have just watched. Haven't been able to do that for the last week. :(
Ian