Colors flickering in WMC

chupon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Colors flickering in WMC

Post by chupon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right place, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this.

I have a HTPC that is connected to my AV (Denon) and from there the video output goes to my TV (LG)

I've noticed lately that if I am viewing my PC display directly and play content in WMC on certain channels certain vibrant colors will flicker. I am not sure if there's a more technical term for this, but it appears like the color is changing slightly every few seconds. It only appears on vibrant colors like bright reds, deep blues, pinks, neon greens, etc.

I don't notice this on any other content when viewing my PC. For instance Netflix or HBO GO or any video games don't seem to have this problem.

If I view content through my Xbox 360 using WMC I don't notice this so I don't think it's the TV itself.

Is there some sort of setting in WMC that is doing this? Perhaps there's a graphics option on my GPU I could change? Does live/recorded content get treated differently? I am a little out of my element here and looking for some guidance.

Thanks!

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:49 pm

It might be the 29/59 bug. What video card (or onboard video) are you using?

chupon

Post by chupon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:02 pm

It's a Radeon HD 7870.

I guess i'm not familiar with this bug, is there documentation describing this? I assume you mean this has something to do with framerates?

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:11 pm

chupon wrote:It's a Radeon HD 7870.

I guess i'm not familiar with this bug, is there documentation describing this? I assume you mean this has something to do with framerates?
The 29/59 bug in Media center results in it appearing in Media Center that the content being watched is rapidly switching between 29/59 hz frame rate. Some video cards handle it better than others. AMDs seem to handle it the best, although I can not say how the 7870 does.

Here is how to determine if that is what is happening for you:

When the flickering is occurring, enter 4 1 1 and then the INFO button on the remote (4-1-1-Info), this will bring up an overlay of details about the content playing. There are several panels of info, hit the right arrow on the remote until you see the panel named "DEBUG: Presentation" (8 right-arrow clicks I think). Look for the "Frame Rate" item at the bottom. If you see that frame rate jumping rapidly while the flickering is happening then that is likely your issue. If so, there is a setting in the AMD Drivers (At least for my card) under "Global Video Quaility" called "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" which (at least for me) , needs to be enabled to handle the 29/59 bug.

Post back with results!

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:29 pm

I have the 7870 in my office computer and it handles the 29/59 bug fine. You might have the dynamic contrast/other driver "enhancements" turned on and should turn them off

chupon

Post by chupon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Ok I just tested this on a channel I know has this problem, MTV.

It's currently showing the flicker and it's going between 29.97 and 14.985

I'll try changing the settings on the card and see what happens.

chupon

Post by chupon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Enforce Smooth Video Playback is already enabled. Dynamic Contrast was already disabled.

I am on 14.4 drivers, there are some updates available, would that possibly help?

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Hum...I have never heard of 29/14, that seems really odd, but I am not an expert. Definitely look further into if that is a related but different refresh rate issue.

A driver update might help. I am on the latest for my AMD and they are working fine for me.

hvinc

Post by hvinc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:03 pm

I've got a 7850. On mine, the color flickering is caused by having the Flesh Tone Correction box checked. It rechecks by itself, once or twice a month, I have to uncheck it again.
The 14.4 drivers didn't handle 29/59, I had to roll back to 13.9, although I didn't try 13.12 again.

chupon

Post by chupon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:31 pm

I tried turning off the flesh tone correction, no go.

Tried rolling back drivers to 13.9, no go.

Sigh...

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm having the same issue. I went from a budget plasma TV to a LED TV of much higher caliber. I'm noticing very similar issues as described above. The problem only affects certain colors displayed on certain resolution(s). I'll have some time this weekend to narrow it down as to why this is happening...I'm assuming 29/59 but like I said, I didn't see this on my plasma. One major difference (among others) between my TVs is the old was 720p while the new is 1080p. Otherwise, I have made no changes while switching from one display to another.

I believe my card is a 5450. ...so we have ATI in common. I'll report back this weekend.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 pm

I had this problem and I tried pretty much everything I could after reading through tons of potential fixes with my 6450 and nothing worked. Ultimately, changing to an NVIDIA card fixed my color flickering problem.

hvinc

Post by hvinc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:06 am

I should have said where Flesh Tone Correction is found. AMD Catalyst Control Center > Video > Advanced Video Color

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 am

kmp14 wrote:The 29/59 bug in Media center results in it appearing in Media Center that the content being watched is rapidly switching between 29/59 hz frame rate.
Just to clarify: this isn't a "bug in Media Center" and it's wrong to say that "it appears in Media Center that the content being watched is rapidly switching".

This is 100% the fault of the program provider not encoding the content in a consistent manner. Instead, different frames are encoded at different rates.

Media Center simply records the digital stream that's provided--period. It does NO encoding or transcoding of the stream. And the digital tuner--whether it's cableCARD or not--simply passes, unmolested, that stream to Media Center.

And during playback, Media Center faithfully plays back that digital stream the content provider provided.

Media Center is in no way, shape, or form responsible for this content or its encoding. The content is what the content is.

Also: It doesn't "appear in Media Center that the content being watched is rapidly switching"; it is in fact switching. If this presents a problem to you, contact your service provider and demand that they give you content that doesn't switch.

You'll notice that you don't see the visual results of this switching sometimes; that's the result of the video card itself being handed this bucket of swill and taking care of it appropriately for the purposes of the human eye. Your XBox handles it. My onboard video handles it. Some graphic cards handle it, some don't.

And the problem with calling your service provider to complain is that THEIR cable boxes don't exhibit the problem to the human eye, therefore by their definition there is no problem for them to spend time and money looking into and addressing.

I repeat: this is not a "bug in Media Center". One might argue it's not a bug, period. It may be an artifact that is insufficiently compensated for by some graphic cards, but it's not a bug. And no matter what you call it or what it is, it most certainly is NOT anything to do with Media Center.

So please stop calling it a "bug in Media Center".

Brainsuck

Post by Brainsuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:49 pm

chupon wrote:Ok I just tested this on a channel I know has this problem, MTV.

It's currently showing the flicker and it's going between 29.97 and 14.985

I'll try changing the settings on the card and see what happens.
I'm on Charter and I have this on some Channel's to 29.97 and 14.985 Usa Network Is bad for it and some work perfect