Extenders Discussion

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:05 pm

mcewinter wrote:Again, I use all the same apps on a portable basis or on my smaller TVs where audio or PQ aren't a concern. As far as family members being able to pick up a remote and watch whatever content that resides in my home, Media Center can't be beat. I agree with a lot of what your saying but not as a MC replacement but as more of a supplement throughout the house, inside and out.
Well a Chromecast is the only one you can't pick up a remote and use it with, all the others you can.

And I guess we just have to agree to disagree on whether these are WMC replacements or supplements. But again, you can't use PQ (transcoding) as an overall negative against the devices/apps/platforms. Not everyone needs to transcode, so it's only a negative for a subset of a subset of a subset, not the apps/devices/platform in general. For those that do need to transcode, yes, it would be a negative for your particular use case, and your particular use case alone. But then again, you are limiting yourself to only 'perfect' or 'only' viewing via the HTPC then. I'm not trying to tell you to encode your collection - just to point out that your 'negative' of lesser PQ/needing to transcode comes from your insistence to keep/only use the 1:1 BR rips. That's a demographic that is a subset of a subset of a subset of a subset like I keep pointing out, which is why devices that do what you are wanting aren't really commonplace/popular/don't exist. However - if you look at the video codecs/codec levels these devices support you'll find you most of the time you can leave the video actually untouched from your 1:1 rips (even if it's a high bitrate h.264, or VC-1 etc). It's only the container you would have to remux or audio only you would have to re-encode. And while I understand why someone wouldn't want to do that, then that's a decision you are making to sacrifice playback quality/device availability, not necessarily a negative of the device/app/platform in general. And WMC/Windows doesn't even support 1:1 BR rip playback out of the box - you would need a codec pack or LAV at minimum to play them back. So if we are comparing apples to apples OOB to OOB there really isn't a difference in playback for the most part. So again, it's more about willingness to compromise on the users end than device/platform/app ability IMO. And again, this all isn't necessarily just pointed at you per se, more at the HTPC community in general.
barnabas1969 wrote:OK, the price of a 4TB HDD is now about $155. That's 3.638TiB. Or, about 74 Bluray movies without compression. So, price per movie is 89 cents.

But, that's not including the cost of the hardware to run that HDD. That cost can vary greatly depending on the number of HDD's that can be connected to the system, the overall throughput of the system, and the processing power of the system.

To serve 2-3 clients, you're only talking about a max throughput of 216Mbps (27MB/s), which even some USB 2.0 external drives can accomplish.

But, when you start talking about connecting four or more 4TB hard drives to store more than 300 movies, you start talking about a significant expense.

I would greatly prefer to store 3 or 4 times the number of movies in the same amount of disk space... as long as I can do so without costing myself a bunch of time... and as long as those movies can still be played on my XBox extenders.

So far, I haven't found a reasonable way to accomplish all of my stated goals... but, I haven't evaluated MyMovies or Media Browser since long before I started thinking about archiving movies. So, perhaps those software packages can help. I appreciate constructive input from people who have used them in the way I have described.
I keep my movies and TV rips on their own individual drives. On my movie drive I have 244 BR rip encodes/movies (some that aren't released on BR are DVD encodes, but few enough and small enough file size to not consider here), taking up 2.77TB on a 3.63TB (4TB) drive. Again, this is with 15mbps h.264 videos that are on avg 15GB (some are less, like VC-1 titles; only 1 or 2 are larger IIRC. Dances with Wolves is one that is larger I know cause that movie is like 47 hours long). Now, I also only add at most 9 movies a year to my collection, sometimes only like 5 or 6 a year. So, at 15GB a movie, with 866GB of free space remaining, I should be able to get 57 more movies on here, or about 5 years left of time with this drive @ 10 movies a year. Now, obviously if you choose to encode to a lower bitrate than I did, you can get even more out of it. Obviously a higher bitrate would be less.

A lot of time did go into this however. It took me about 3 months to encode my 1:1 BR collection to m4v. But, now that it's done - it doesn't have to be done again (I have duplicate 4TB and 3TB drives in my main rig that are just redundant back ups of the movie and tv rip drives in my HTPC. This way, I'm covered from drive or machine failure and don't have to do the encoding all over again). This is the compromise I keep talkign about though. I sacrificed all that time (one time only) and PQ from 1:1 to be able to play my movies and tv rips natively on every single device I own - BR players, Chromecasts, WMC via Xbox, and any consumer device I buy in the future. I also don't have to worry about whether there is an app for the device to transcode my collection. If it plays mp4, I'm good. This doesn't limit me on what devices I can buy/use. Which is another great benefit.

People act like if they aren't viewing the actual 1:1 rip there is no way in hell they can enjoy the movie/show/content. That must mean they never ever ever ever watch anything that's isn't a BR. Ever. Anywhere. No TV or Netflix or anything, cause the PQ isn't the same as BR. It's just cutting your nose spite your face IMO (again, this wasn't directed at anyone here, more the HTPC community in general). Meanwhile, those of use who do encode (or dl) will go on enjoying all these wonderful consumer electronics devices available to us, even if there is no way to transcode to said device. Those who will transcode at least, get to enjoy not as many devices as the rest of us; but more than the ones who will only watch 1:1, no compromises.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
adam1991 wrote: You "have to have a silver account logged into your xbox"?

Gee, that's news to me.
Glad I could teach you something. If you want to use any of the streaming services to make the xbox more like a Roku the account needs to log in.
see, now, that's information--a caveat--that you DIDN'T explain when you made your assertion initially.

How about for those of us who have zero interest in making the XBox act more like a Roku? In that case, your assertion that you asserted in a vacuum and without context is completely and utterly, 100% wrong.

XBox works just great without any login whatsoever.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 pm

I bought four Chromecast devices, and I sold them in short order. In my opinion, the lack of ability to control the Chromecast with a remote control makes the Chromecast a POS. I don't want to use my phone/tablet to control my TV on a regular basis. For occasional use, it's fine... but for every day use... the phone/tablet makes an exceptionally poor remote control. The Chromecast has HDMI-CEC to change the input and power-on the TV... and they should have added the ability for the TV remote to control the Chromecast device via HDMI-CEC (at least transport control - e.g. play, pause, ffwd, rewind, etc).

I found that the Roku 3 can do everything the Chromecast can do (including "casting" video from your smartphone) and can also be controlled from a remote control. I can't understand how Google could have forgotten that people like to pick up a remote and press PLAY/PAUSE/FFWD/REWIND/STOP. You can't fix stupid.

Now, as for ripping movies for watching in My Movies (or whatever), I would appreciate some step-by-step instructions so I can try it. There are so many variations to ripping movies that I don't want to guess. As stated previously, if I can find an easy way to rip movies that gives me SOFT SUBTITLES, decent video quality, and the ability to fast-forward, rewind, and skip backward/forward... I'd be a happy camper and would start ripping every movie I can get my hands on (disk space be damned!).

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 pm

I burn in forced subs only. I just turn the volume up if I can't hear; and everyone here speaks English as our primary language. Therefore, I have no need for regular subtitles; nor the need to toggle them on/off. Afraid I can't help you with that. Maybe someone else can. Maybe it's not possible, and your stuck with what you got if you need soft subs. I couldn't say, sorry. :/

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Ed  wrote:I burn in forced subs only. I just turn the volume up if I can't hear; and everyone speaks English. Therefore I have no need for regular subtitles; nor the need to toggle them on/off. Afraid I can't help you with that. Maybe someone else can. Maybe it's not possible, and your stuck with what you got if you need soft subs. I couldn't say, sorry. :/
Sometimes, no matter how loud you turn the volume, the dialog is incomprehensible. I don't know why they allow actors to mumble in some scenes, but it definitely happens. Also, if you have young children running around, it is sometimes impossible to understand the TV without subtitles. And, when your wife's first language is something other than English (my wife's first language is Romanian), subtitles can be very helpful.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:03 pm

No, I understand. That's why I pointed that stuff out. I'm just letting you know I can't help you as there's no need for soft subs on my end; therefore I don't know how to encode keeping soft subs/if it's possible/if your devices support soft subs/what format soft subs you would need to use (there are multiple).

I know you said you didn't wan't to - but unless someone who does exactly what you need to do chimes in, you're gonna have to research it yourself it seems. Or, like I said, just stick with what you got going.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Oh, trust me... I have researched, and researched, and researched. I'm just hoping that maybe I missed something.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:23 am

In the MyMovies disc copier/video converter settings, there are two pull down menus regarding subtitles. First is "embed subtitles in picture" and the other is "include subtitles in video file". Beyond that it offers language options as well. The newest version brings disc copier to Windows rather than limited to just whs.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:10 am

mcewinter wrote:"include subtitles in video file"
Can you explain what that means?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:41 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
mcewinter wrote:"include subtitles in video file"
Can you explain what that means?
Um, no. I thought it was curious that you have options for two types of subtitles though. I'll try to find time to make a couple rips just to see how subtitles are handled. I have no prior experience with subtitles so bear with me.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:01 pm

adam1991 wrote:How about for those of us who have zero interest in making the XBox act more like a Roku?
Then buy an echo otherwise you are heating your house and wasting electricity. No added benefit to that bulky piece of equipment.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:18 pm

If the xbox ever supports PLEX/MB3 apps I would move back to them and remove the echo's and Roku's. But I don't think that's happening; if anything the XB1 will get the apps and not the older model.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:27 pm

@Ed - I'm certainly not speaking of OOB. Media Center needs some help to provide a full experience. A full experience meaning it can play the content under my roof. If you prefer a streaming box, that's fine. I'm not kean on navigating through an interface only to navigate through another interface, perhaps at lower quality. Not to say that I won't ever, it's just not the experience I'm looking for in my living room.

I rip my movies in full, if I want to watch a movie on a different device then I simply press a button to have it converted, on demand, if you will. That process can take up to an hour with a blueray title so I have to at least plan that far ahead.

We use our equipment in similar ways only I haven't shunned MC while embracing the rest.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:45 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:No added benefit to that bulky piece of equipment.
You're joking, right? The XBox beats all the other extenders without question. If you want Plex/MB3, use your Roku for that.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:16 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
adam1991 wrote:How about for those of us who have zero interest in making the XBox act more like a Roku?
Then buy an echo otherwise you are heating your house and wasting electricity. No added benefit to that bulky piece of equipment.
Well, you would be wrong. Echo has an issue with audio/video sync. It's off by a small but noticeable, and annoying, amount.

Not to mention, XBox RDP sessions use a different, and preferred, method than non-XBox extenders.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Does it really? Audio being off is something I would notice, but I don't see/hear any sync issues on my Echo

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:43 pm

The different types of extender serve their purpose for each individual user. I prefer the Echo especially in the bedroom. It's left on and a quick power up of the TV brings you into usability straight away. Clean and simple and much preferred for my family over the XB.

The bedroom TV is Wall mount with an Echo and a Roku velcro'd to the back no wires or boxes visible at all.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 pm

adam1991 wrote:Not to mention, XBox RDP sessions use a different, and preferred, method than non-XBox extenders.
Yes, DirectX is soooo much better than GDI.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:14 pm

STC wrote:The different types of extender serve their purpose for each individual user. I prefer the Echo especially in the bedroom. It's left on and a quick power up of the TV brings you into usability straight away. Clean and simple and much preferred for my family over the XB.
And that was something else that didn't work for me. I couldn't leave the Echo on and simply power cycle the TV. The TV is older and probably has an HDMI conflict with the Echo, but the result is a green screen after I power cycle the TV.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:13 pm

^ hmm, I don't have a problem like that on any of the TV's I have plugged the Echo into.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123