XBone will get better at tv?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
MrNorth

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBone will get better at tv?

Post by MrNorth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 am

Hi!

I just bought an xbone to try out the new tv features including oneguide. WHy does it feels like it is a REALLY big step back in terms of functionality and design compared to WMC? MSFT intends for the XBONE to rule the livingroom, the xbone is not doing a pretty good job as of yet, in any department whatsoever. At first I thought I was missing lots of updates, but it was the latest update. My complains, questions:

* The IR blaster crap is just.... crap. Hard to understand this is the same company that built WMC all these years ago.

* Oneguide is like a modern ui copy of the WMC guide, with lots of features missing and crappy UI design...

* No media player features whatsoever from a usb drive or network drive. Only from skydrive. I have lots of 6 Gb family movies I want to show friends, where the h-ck should I store them? I record in 1080p, the movies tend to get pretty big, and I can't possibly store them on skydrive. How did you think on this one, Microsoft, because I can't for sure figure it out. I ahve 200 Gb space, but the ADSL is crappy. Not everyone is sitting on a 1Gbps optic...

* Remote control is good, but is really so basic. I guess MSFT intend naviation to be done by kinect...? Personally I hate talking to the tv, or waving my hands.

What do you think, will XBONE ever be the media platform that WMC was so good at?

/H

Embiggens

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Embiggens » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:25 pm

What, you don't have all your media on OneDrive? CLOUD ETC

But seriously, like everyone here, I'm hanging on to WMC but certainly interested in identifying the next thing. For me, Xbone's lack of local media playback completely takes it out of the equation. You wonder who they're targeting with that TV solution, when at the same time there's no local media option. On the bright side, it does sound like Plex may eventually solve that part.