PCIe InfiniTV 6 or 4?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
akeshmeshian

HTPC Specs: Show details

PCIe InfiniTV 6 or 4?

Post by akeshmeshian » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:33 am

I currently have an out of warranty InfiniTV 4. I will have the "NO tuner found" error almost once a day and I am getting annoyed to constantly reboot my machine all the time.

It wont update to the latest beta firmware so Ceton support said either $25 to repair my current card or $190 for the InfiniTV 6 (with trade-in)
$25 is really reasonable but this is already my second card with the same issue, I was thinking IF the InfiniTV 6 is built better and wont have this problem 6 months from now I'd fork over the $190

I don't care about the 2 extra tuners ( I don't think I have used more than 2 ever with my InfiniTV 4)

What you guys think are the InfiniTV 6 less problematic?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:48 am

Cue the suggestions to switch to the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime. 3 tuners, network connected, plenty of happy users around here. Cheap.

I use all 4 tuners and my Ceton PCIe has done me well. Were I to switch...well, six tuners of Silicon Dust goodness would mean a second $3.50/mo cableCARD. Not sure I'd want to do that.

machausta

Post by machausta » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:58 pm

akeshmeshian wrote:I currently have an out of warranty InfiniTV 4. I will have the "NO tuner found" error almost once a day and I am getting annoyed to constantly reboot my machine all the time.

It wont update to the latest beta firmware so Ceton support said either $25 to repair my current card or $190 for the InfiniTV 6 (with trade-in)
$25 is really reasonable but this is already my second card with the same issue, I was thinking IF the InfiniTV 6 is built better and wont have this problem 6 months from now I'd fork over the $190

I don't care about the 2 extra tuners ( I don't think I have used more than 2 ever with my InfiniTV 4)

I have found that the InfiniTV is very temperature sensitive, so maybe try a cheap 'slot' fan first and foremost...also when I had this error last I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled using the latest drivers from the website which did resolve the issue, but this was with the USB version of the tuner (which I have added a fan to keep cool).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:04 pm

adam1991 wrote:switch to the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime.
:thumbup:

akeshmeshian

Post by akeshmeshian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:31 am

Hmmm

I think I want to stick to an internal solution, my question is
Is the InfiniTV 6 less problematic? which if 'Yes' I'd spend the $180 so I don't have to deal with the problems of the InfiniTV 4
or
If its gonna be the same sh*t either way Ill just pay the $25 repair fee and deal with it.

Thanks for all the help so far

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:51 am

akeshmeshian wrote:Hmmm

I think I want to stick to an internal solution, my question is
Is the InfiniTV 6 less problematic? which if 'Yes' I'd spend the $180 so I don't have to deal with the problems of the InfiniTV 4
or
If its gonna be the same sh*t either way Ill just pay the $25 repair fee and deal with it.

Thanks for all the help so far
I've been running a 4 a couple of years now without issue (besides a bout of self-inflicted play ready problems at one point). So I wouldn't say either is problematic (given what I've read about the 6). Perhaps the source of your problem is something else (networking, conflicting drivers, tuning adapter, some other PC issue).

I agree that keeping the temp down will prevent a lot of problems. I keep an extra fan on my PCIe tuner to keep it under 50 C. Without that fan it quickly goes over 70 and freaks out. That's another self-inflicted problem I created when moving to a smaller case with much less air flow.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:58 am

Have you tried updating to the latest beta firmware via the webpage vs. the diagnostic utility? If you can download the latest beta firmware you can manually update it by opening the diagnostic utility, on one of the tabs is a button to view device web page. At the bottom of the webpage is a way to browse to the latest firmware file and update it.
Have you tried this method or is your infiniTV damaged? I have had both the 4 and 6. And I have had a few instances on the latest beta software where I get no tuner found issues when trying to record a show and have to reboot. In Ceton's defense I am using a beta firmware though. The 4 and 6 have been good units for me, I am also using Media Browser 3 which uses Server WMC.. I don't know if that is causing some of my tuner issues as of late as well.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:06 am

FWIW, I had tons of tuner not found issues with MB3 and Server WMC. I removed it and haven't had any such problems since (or before). I think Server WMC doesn't let go of tuners as it should, making them unavailable in WMC.

Roofsmoker

Post by Roofsmoker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:12 pm

I think your going to run into the same problem with a 4 or 6 if its heat, I would spend the 25 and repair it than spend another 25 on a good slot fan. I have been running my 4 strong for a year now with no real problem that hasn't been a point an click to fix. If the ceton fits your needs just repair it.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:29 pm

$25 is worth it if you were happy with it. When my 4 developed a problem, Ceton offered to exchange it for $125.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:51 pm

akeshmeshian wrote:I currently have an out of warranty InfiniTV 4. I will have the "NO tuner found" error almost once a day and I am getting annoyed to constantly reboot my machine all the time.

What's the firmware you're running on it now?
And what driver version?
What were your temp readings?
Have you done a complete "clear tuners, un-install drivers, reboot, install newest drivers, discover tuners, run MC TV setup"?

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
adam1991 wrote:switch to the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime.
:thumbup:
:clap:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm

akeshmeshian wrote:I think I want to stick to an internal solution
I thought so too... until I realized that I could locate the HD HomeRun Prime in a closet... and that the Tuning Adapter moved with it. No more TA or anything else in my living room except the PC. It also greatly simplified the wiring behind the PC. Nice.

akeshmeshian

Post by akeshmeshian » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:20 am

Dkeyguy1 wrote:
What's the firmware you're running on it now?
And what driver version? 13.6.3.1088
What were your temp readings? 52.0 C
Have you done a complete "clear tuners, un-install drivers, reboot, install newest drivers, discover tuners, run MC TV setup"?
I have last time the changed out the card (under warranty) but that was 6 months ago... Just like before they seem to last me 6-8 months, then here and there Ill get no tuner found and I'll have to reboot, this usually happens 2-3 times a week now. Just getting annoyed...

I wanted to update to newest beta firmware but it keeps failing both under the diagnostic tool and via the browser option

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:33 am

What kind of case do you use and does it have good airflow? Wondering if heat is just killing it off over time?

akeshmeshian

Post by akeshmeshian » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:48 pm

newfiend wrote:What kind of case do you use and does it have good airflow? Wondering if heat is just killing it off over time?
You know that might be something..... is there a program that will log the temps of this thing every so increments?

Im still wondering why it wont update to latest beta firmware

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:26 pm

akeshmeshian wrote: Im still wondering why it wont update to latest beta firmware
The flash memory is probably defective.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... hilit=NAND
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:23 pm

I started with the InfiniTV4 in 1 machine then for machine #2, got the USB tuner. When I moved to W8, things sucked with the USB tuner so I got the ETH 6 and love it. I'd give it a 99.5% approval. So now I have 10 tuners and I actually record somethings at the same time with both tuners for those rare times when there's a problem.
I think I watch way too much TV!

bernie_xg

Post by bernie_xg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:52 pm

I used to get this on my pcie 4.
First, I do want to restate the temperature concerns, I would get this when my PC would do heavy workload such as a lot of transcoding...

Second, I found this would happen a lot, if the tuner tried to change to a station where there was no signal or I was not authorized, so I went through with Guidetool and removed every channel that I did not think I would want. Every once in a while the lineup changes and I have to tweak it.