Windows 8.1 & Logitech Harmony One

darengibo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 & Logitech Harmony One

Post by darengibo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:15 pm

Ok, so on my Windows 8 PC, I have been using the dongle (Rosewill RHRC-11002 Windows 7 Certified MCE IR Remote Controller/Windows 8 MC Plus Small USB Dongle) and then controlling via Logitech Harmony One. Everything was working great for a long time. recently, I lost the ability to hit "stop" or skip forward 30 seconds (I can only FF). I even purchased a new dongle since last one... but no fix.

When we watch TV or DVD, the stop button works so I assume it has something to do with a change to the IR receiver? I am at a loss, and without ability to stop, it is a very frustrating viewing experience! I hope there is a fix to either the IR settings or to what I can program into the remote.

This is very frustrating.. any advice??

thanks!!!

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Perhaps something is intercepting those presses before they reach the media center. Dis you perhaps install anything around the time the buttons stopped working?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Wasn't there something about iTunes interfering with the Media Center remote? Try exiting iTunes and see if it works.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:40 pm

darengibo

Post by darengibo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:25 am

Thanks. Don't have itunes which is why i didn't post in that topic (I did do a search.. honest!)
not sure how to go about finding if another program is intercepting.. have not installed anything new recently... is there a way to find out (software?). not familiar with it, but is imon an option to help???
thanks for chiming in! this has baffled me and is causing much frustration with the wife when she is watching movies/shows...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:28 pm

The Imon is a different kind of IR receiver, and requires the use of different drivers/software than the Media Center (eHome) IR receiver.

I suppose other software could be interfering. You could prevent other software from starting automatically using msconfig to change the startup items on the computer.

The fastest way to narrow it down is to disable half of the startup items in msconfig, reboot, and see if the problem is fixed. If not, re-enable those items, and disable the other half (and reboot again). Once you've identified which half of the software is to blame, then re-enable half of those (leaving 25% of the programs disabled). Reboot each time you make changes in msconfig. Narrow it down until you find the ONE program that makes a difference between "working" and "not working".

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:18 pm

I would try removing and reinstalling the drivers.

Would installing eventghost help determine if the IR is seeing the remote control key presses?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:38 pm

I don't think it's a driver issue, and installing more software will only complicate things.

darengibo

Post by darengibo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 pm

So just wanted to update, that i am even more baffled since I was able to utilize the Skip FW and Stop button of another remote (Android program for Plex remote control).

I just don't know how to fix this with the Logitech not being able to utilize those buttons. Looks like my workaround is to utilize the 2 remotes if needed (Harmony One and my phone!).

any other thoughts/ideas/solutions will be greatly appreciated!

malacoda

Post by malacoda » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:13 pm

I had this same thing happen to my 880. Certain commands stopped working thought I could see the IR dongle flash when I pressed the command. In my case it was because I connect a USB microsoft keyboard to my PC so I could boot into the BIOS to make some changes. I connected the keyboard when the computer was powered down. I booted into the BIOS made my changes, left the keyboard connected and when I rebooted the PC auto installed the microsoft app for the keyboard. I removed the keyboard went on my merry way not seeing that it was prompting for another reboot to finish the app install. Later on when I rebooted the PC I lost random buttons in media center like stop, FF, REW and the guide button I mapped. Took me a very frustrated few days to figure out that was the culprit but soon as I removed it everything went back to normal. I would bet its some kind of peripheral application for a keyboard or mouse causing your issue

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Malacoda has a good point. Or, you could try what I suggested above:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 062#p76062