Win8 Media Center Apps

SJMaye

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win8 Media Center Apps

Post by SJMaye » Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 pm

I have been sticking to Win7 MC, but now considering 8 if the app integration is better. I have the Win7 Netflix and Amazon add-ins that were developed. Can someone tell me if MS actually has these apps available for Win 8 MC and are they function better?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri May 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Netflix and Amazon still work but are no different or better in Win 8. Other apps are no different. WMC is essentially unchanged except for the fact that it won't auto start with windows and takes 2 presses of Start on your remote to launch it. Win 8 does have it's own Netflix Metro app, which is 1080p versus only 720p in WMC. But it can't be controlled at all with a remote, or even a keyboard. So that's a non-starter for me. I ran Win 8 on my HTPC for a while and eventually rolled back to Win 7. The tiny increase in boot speed wasn't worth losing all my extenders. I use other boxes for streaming apps (BD players, Rokus, Chromecasts, etc.). They just work a lot better.

MS only has the Netflix app in Win 7 and 8. All others are developed by 3rd parties.

In case you haven't heard, Xbox gold will soon no longer be required for Netflix and other streaming apps. So if you have any Xbox extenders, they'll get a whole lot better as far as streaming goes. And on Xbox, Netflix isn't crippled like it is in WMC.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Sat May 24, 2014 8:30 am

mdavej. thanks for the reply. You hit all the issues important to me and why I remained with Win7. I had hoped that MS put at least a little time in to updating MS. Doesn't really sound like it.

curtis

Post by curtis » Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 pm

There is only one reason not to use Windows 8.1 Update in regards to a new Media Center box and that is that is non-xbox extenders. Booting into Media Center is easily accomplished by adding a media center shortcut in the startup folder and as you can boot to the desktop, not the start screen, even that isn't a big deal since you can use the remote to start it up if you need to reboot for some reason. Of course there isn't a media center specific reason to upgrade if you already have 7 though. Other very good reasons to upgrade depending on what you might do but not specifically Media Center UI specific.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Sure there are workarounds. But why should I have to work around anything? Win 7 works without jumping through any hoops. I can think of a few more reasons not to use Windows 8.1

- Fisher Price interface designed for toddlers and monkeys
- Forced online account integration which you must go out of your way to avoid
- Cost
- Apps are not keyboard or mouse friendly
- Start menu requires 3rd party program
- Always getting smudges all over my 60" screen since that's the only way metro seems to work
- Buying it rewards MS for creating the abomination that is Win 8. My PC is not a tablet or a phone. Why should I be forced to use it like one?

Stick with Win 7 and wait for Win 9. I have to suffer through Win 8.1 on every other computer I use, but it's not going back on my HTPC. The few minor improvements are not worth the boatload of drawbacks.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 am

All the reasons I never updated. I saw no upside. Unfortunately I don't think Win9MC is going to be any better. MS has made it pretty clear MC is not a priority.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:39 am

What makes you think that there will be a 9MC? I don't see it happening, personally.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Tue May 27, 2014 10:05 am

mark1234 wrote:What makes you think that there will be a 9MC? I don't see it happening, personally.
Actually, I don't hold out hope for it. I will just hang on to Win7 or see what pops up for a replacement.