HDHR Prime Quick TV + WMC + Charter - WMC Guide not Revising

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Radeon962

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHR Prime Quick TV + WMC + Charter - WMC Guide not Revising

Post by Radeon962 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:04 am

Running Windows 7 HP with a HDHR Prime w/ Cablecard and Charter.

Picked up a cable card plus TA yesterday as Charter in our area went all digital today. Got my HDHR Prime all set up last night and everything went pretty easily. Today when they switched channels I rescanned in HDHR and it picks up the new channel numbers and plays them fine in Quick TV with the correct channel #'s. WMC on the other hand does not pick up the new channels correctly. I have tried reinstalling WMC, deleting the DB files, DL the guide, etc. Feed for the channels is fine as you can play the programs on an individual channel in WMC but the channel #'s in the WMC Guide are not updating and not correct.

Any tricks that I can try? Or does it just take time for the transition by Charter?

Thanks, Bill

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:11 am

WMC gets its channel lineup information from Microsoft, who gets it from Zap2it. You need to contact Zap2it and tell them about the lineup changes and then wait for them to make the changes in their database. A few days after Zap2it updates their database, you'll see the changes in WMC.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed May 07, 2014 4:19 am

It's most likely a different lineup name now. Run setup again and pick the new lineup called "upgrade" or something similar. In a few weeks, the upgrade lineup will go away and you'll have run setup again and switch back. That's how it's worked in other Charter markets so far.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 pm

In a case like this where the line-ups are not correct but you know the tuner is working because the Quick TV app is working, is there no way to just play a channel inside of WMC without selecting a guide line-up? I've never had this problem, but it seems like WMC ought to provide some type of work around so that you can use your functioning tuner in absense of a mapped guide. Since the tuner has detected the signal and the card is activated, why isn't there a way to view live tv without a mapped guide inside of WMC?

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:35 pm

EZEd wrote:In a case like this where the line-ups are not correct but you know the tuner is working because the Quick TV app is working, is there no way to just play a channel inside of WMC without selecting a guide line-up? I've never had this problem, but it seems like WMC ought to provide some type of work around so that you can use your functioning tuner in absense of a mapped guide. Since the tuner has detected the signal and the card is activated, why isn't there a way to view live tv without a mapped guide inside of WMC?
Sure you can, just go into Live TV and punch in the channel you want to watch.

Now, if the channel doesn't exist in your guide data then WMC won't know of it's existence (and I'm guessing won't try to tune it). And without the guide data within WMC you'll obviously have to rely on another method to see the schedule, such as Zap2It's website.

As I see it, the biggest problem with the revolving lineup game is in scheduled recordings.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 pm

smcmillan2 wrote:Sure you can, just go into Live TV and punch in the channel you want to watch.

Now, if the channel doesn't exist in your guide data then WMC won't know of it's existence (and I'm guessing won't try to tune it). And without the guide data within WMC you'll obviously have to rely on another method to see the schedule, such as Zap2It's website.

As I see it, the biggest problem with the revolving lineup game is in scheduled recordings.
Yeah I've never tried to setup WMC7 without a guide but if it works and will finish the process without it, maybe these guys could do that and at least get some functionality from their tuner while WMC and the cableco negotiate their timeline on when the correct guide will become available.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 pm

EZEd wrote:Yeah I've never tried to setup WMC7 without a guide but if it works and will finish the process without it, maybe these guys could do that and at least get some functionality from their tuner while WMC and the cableco negotiate their timeline on when the correct guide will become available.
I guess I misunderstood your question. My assumption was the OP has a channel lineup in WMC after successfully going through the Guide Listing setup, but that lineup is incorrect. In this case WMC will still tune to channels that exist in the channel lineup.

In the case of skipping Guide Listing setup altogether (and thus having no channel lineup), I don't think there is any way you can tune a channel within WMC, unless you add them manually. And in that case it is most likely going to be easier/faster to just wait the couple of days until MS has updated the lineups.

Radeon962

Post by Radeon962 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:58 pm

I sent an email to Zap2It and they reported later that they had an updated guide.

I got home tonight and ran through WMC setup again and there was an option for Charter that has "Upgrade" apended to the end, so I selected that one and correct channel listing showed up in the guide.

All in order now.

Thanks, Bill