Can Closed Caption Decoding of WTV Files be Modified?

viking

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can Closed Caption Decoding of WTV Files be Modified?

Post by viking » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:06 pm

I am using a Hauppauge Cable Card Tuner (WinTV-DCR-3250) and WMC on WIN 7 64 bit.

I have a very strange problem with BBC America HD on Time Warner (CH 853). On certain shows (e.g. Doctor who, Orphan black etc), the closed caption (CC) disappears randomly or every time after I skip forward or back. I can get the CC back by watching another program from another channel for a few seconds and then returning to the show.

This issue does not happen on any other channel, including BBC America SD. It also does not happen with BBC America HD on my Cable Box.

I have read that some TiVo users have similar issues with BBC America, and they solved it by changing the CC decoding from Digital to Analog.

Can WMC somehow do analog CC decoding? Can the WMC decoder for WTV be changed to something else that may work with BBC America's CC?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

If it's possible, then it will be on your captions menu. Try choosing a different captions track on that menu.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:39 pm

I've had the same problem specifically with BBCA HD.

Some episodes work fine, with no CC issue, others have the CC not working at all, or it comes and goes or is garbled.

Since I have a different cable company, it's probably a problem with BBCA HD nationwide.

I have not been able to find a way to fix this problem while playing back these recordings in WMC. None of the options on the caption menu seem to have any effect.

FlatStanley

Post by FlatStanley » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 pm

I've got the same problem, only its a bit more wide spread than just one channel. It seems to occur sporadically, but most of the time, on several channels. I'm using a Hauppage WinTV-QuadHD tuner. I've also tried a Hauppauge 2250 tuner. I've tried switching to a completely different antenna/signal source. I just finished rebuilding the Windows system (to see if it had anything to do with one of the myriad installed updates) no luck. I've also replaced the motherboard/cpu/memory. This started about 2 months ago, out of the blue, for no reason I can fathom.

I'm running out of ideas.