Recorded TV issue - Lag

rencjm04

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV issue - Lag

Post by rencjm04 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Hello,

I've been running my HTPC for a few years now. I recently tried putting filtering software on my computer and it blocked my digital tuners (using ceton usb4). So I removed the software and live TV works fine through my computer.

When I try to watch something recorded through my xbox I get serious lag and I've noticed that multiple computers (randomly) start popping up under start-computer-network (under computers). I believe this is why my system is lagging and I cannot figure out how to fix it.

I was hoping that someone could help me out.

Thanks!

drtdiver

Post by drtdiver » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Are you running a wired network if not that could be why your seeing lag. Wireless just isn't good enough for running an extender. When you say random computers, are these your computers or not. If they are not your computers you need to lock down your wireless network and stop the free loaders from stealing your bandwidth.

rencjm04

Post by rencjm04 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:44 pm

It is a wired network...worked fine 2 weeks ago.

It's not free loaders, I'm not sure what is happening, but computers will pop up every 5-10 seconds. I let it go for about 15 minutes and it had over 400 devices under the computer section of the network. I'm so confused as to what is happening.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Sounds like someone has found a way to connect to your wireless network and share it with a bunch of other people. You should change your WiFi password, and setup MAC filtering in your router to only allow your wireless devices to connect.