Skip forward function stops working randomly

jefferiksen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Skip forward function stops working randomly

Post by jefferiksen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:23 am

Around once a week, roughly, the skip forward, skip backward, and pause buttons stop working when trying to playback a recording. it is not a hardware problem with the remote control hardware as three different ones show this effect. Seems like a software glitch that develops over time. Only way to fix it is to reboot the computer. Sometime it is preceded by loss of sound. We start a show and there is no sound. We stop it and exit Media Center, and when we restart MC and start that show again, we have sound but the three buttons noted previously have stopped working.

Anyone else ever had this happen? Any troubleshooting steps to try? My wife is ready to shoot me and go back to paying Comcast a lot of money!

Currently running Win7-64 bit on Dell XPS. Hauppauge dual tuner.

Thanks,
-Jeff

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:32 am

Often the cause of those particular remote buttons becoming deactivated is iTunes. If iTunes is running, close it, and you should be fine. Other programs presumably could cause the same problem, so if any are running, try closing them.

jefferiksen

Post by jefferiksen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks, I will try that from now on. iTunes is set to automatically start upon bootup, so that could very well be the culprit.
-Jeff