Anybody use powerline adapter with xbox extender?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
maseline_98

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anybody use powerline adapter with xbox extender?

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Newegg has this(TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT) on sale and I would like to be able to send internet to my deck. Before moving to WMC, we used to watch baseball games on the deck, but I really don't have anyway to run ethernet out there and the WIFI connection is never going to work. I've tried setting up a remote potato, but it seems way too unstable and the resolution isn't good enough.

EDIT: From my reading, for powerline to work, they need to be on the same circuit breaker. I'm not sure if this is the case with all powerline adapters or just certain ones. Seems the like the tech is still 'relatively' new and maybe might be worth while a little farther down the line.

Please correct me if any(or all) of my assumptions for false....

Thanks in advance.

EDIT2: Can you use an extension cord or surge protector with a powerline?

If there is a better place to make this post, please forward me there....thanks...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm

No, they don't need to be one the same breaker. It is better if they are on the same phase, but they also work across phases (just not as well). Some people report success with powerline adapters and extenders, and others have some problems due to the high latency of such a connection.

You're better off to go with MoCa if you have coax on the deck.

NOTE: Being on the same phase, is not the same thing as being on the same breaker.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I have coax to the deck, but I think it's spliced before it enters the house(i.e. a separate line coming from the pole). I'm not 100% of that fact. It might be just spliced before entering the house. I just know that I haven't seen an external splitter and I know its not coming from inside the house. Either way, I don't think MoCa is going to work in this instance because the coax that runs in the house doesn't 'appear' to be connected to the one that is one the deck...

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Also....having said that. I might give the powerline a try. They actually might be on the same breaker anyway since they are GFI for the exterior. I suppose its only $40 so it might be worth a try.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I use DECA (super cheap DirecTV version of Moca, as in $8 per node and full Moca speeds). It doesn't really matter how your whole coax network is set up. All that matters is that one end of the coax going to your deck can be connected to an adapter that's connected to your router. Powerline may very well work fine, but Moca would be better if you can do it.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:32 pm

mdavej wrote:I use DECA (super cheap DirecTV version of Moca, as in $8 per node and full Moca speeds). It doesn't really matter how your whole coax network is set up. All that matters is that one end of the coax going to your deck can be connected to an adapter that's connected to your router. Powerline may very well work fine, but Moca would be better if you can do it.
Got a link where I can find one of these $8 Gems? Google failed me...lol

EDIT: Is this what you are talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Directv-Broadba ... 461d8ae58d

Do I just need 2 of these?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes, exactly. Prices vary, but the last time I got some, somebody was selling a lots of 2 for $16. As long as you get the version like you linked that has the power supply (DCA2PR0), they'll work fine. But since they're designed for satellite frequencies, keep them isolated from cable TV signals, or they will interfere. The Moca part of my coax network has no cable TV on it.

I'd make an offer on this, and see if the guy will give you 2 for $20 or something like that:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DirecTV-Bro ... 1420642157

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Well...he declined my offer :\

I don't think the cable TV should be a problem since I'm only using WMC as my sole cable experience. I have WMC and 2 xboxes(if the deck thing works, I will probably buy another).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:56 pm

maseline_98 wrote:I don't think the cable TV should be a problem since I'm only using WMC as my sole cable experience.
What mdavej means, is that you would need to connect your PC tuners to one coax which is NOT CONNECTED IN ANY WAY to the coax lines where you plan to use the DECA adapters. This means that you would need to locate the splitter where all your coax lines connect together, and put the DECA lines on a separate splitter.

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 pm

A friend of mine has a UPS that feeds specific UPS protected outlets in bedrooms. He has one Linksys power line type devices on one of those bedroom outlets and the other on a separate UPS outlet itself. This does work. Both are on the same 'protected' side of the UPS.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Late to the convo here but I use powerline with my XBox extender upstairs. Latency is a little high (some menus and buttons take a second to respond), but the video performance when playing is perfectly fine.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:01 pm

I use Powerline Adapters as well on all 3 Xbox extenders in my place. They work just fine.
newfiend~

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:53 pm

I bought a set of powerline adapters. They should actually be delivered today. I will let you guys know how the work on the deck, but might not be until tomorrow since it's going to rain all day today(and the buccos have a day off ;) ). I will give them a try in my gameroom area. Currently I have 2 boxes down there...1 running hard wired and the other running wirelessly. I get a bit of lag when they both are running and the furnance kicks on. The strange thing is that the lag happens to the hardwired one, but this only happens if both of them are on.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:34 pm

I tried powerline with no consistent success, then found an Actiontec Verizon MI424WR router for cheap on fleabay and reconfigured it as a MoCA bridge for my 360. Have had absolutely no issues after that, I have a Tivo Elite in the house which acts as the MoCA to Ethernet bridge to my HTPC.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Powerline is largely dependant on the wire condition within the walls as well as other contributing factors mentioned earlier. I luckily have had exceptional results where others have not. MoCA is definitely better but is also more expensive. Sometimes you just have to try things and see what works best for your own situation/needs.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:53 am

Well...I hooked it up in my gameroom and seemed to worked flawlessly. The outlets were not physically that far from each other and im not sure if they were onbyhe same breaker or phase. There was some lag for the first 15-20 seconds and I starting to get disappointed but after that. It seems to settled in and took a brief 15 minute watch with zero lag. I was running all 3 tuners running various sporting events(live college baseball ia a terrible watch...lol). Next I moved it up into our master bedroom....the timetable for it settle in seemed to be in matter of minutes and not seconds. All in all probably took 2.5 minutes for the lag to stop but after it did I didnt notice any lag in viewing. The strange thing was the menus seem to have quite a bit of latency lag. It was even worse than the menu lag I was getting on a wireless connection. Im going to watch the ncaa game tonight on the powerline this evening for an extended viewing to see if there are any lagging or artifacting. Hopefully it works on the deck to the point I can rely on it for repeat viewing as we really enjoy watching the baseball games out there during the summer but only time will tell.

Thanks guys for the insights....

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:23 pm

The old Rev A - Ref F ActionTec routers are MoCA 1.0 or 1.1 and only get about 75Mbps bandwidth between any 2 devices. Plenty for extenders, but not enough for 150+Mbps FIOS. So anybody that upgrades to higher FIOS speeds needs a new router, and lots of the old ones end up on e-bay for $25 and make great MoCA adapters.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:10 pm

Yep, I actually picked mine up for $10 shipped since it was missing the PS. Great little MoCA bridges for cheap.

The problem I had with powerline was the same as with N-spec WiFi - sometimes it would be fine, sometimes it wouldn't due to interference. MoCA just works all the time.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Can either of you guys please post a link to the exact model you're talking about?

Thanks

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 pm

mdavej wrote:Can either of you guys please post a link to the exact model you're talking about?

Thanks
+1