SSD C: Drive - how to organize RecordedTV on HDD?

crawfish

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by crawfish » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 am

jjwatmyself wrote:Try moving it.
Why? I don't see any reason to move it out of Recorded TV. As I wrote earlier, I always configure Recorded TV to be on D: via the WMC Recorder setup UI, with D: being a physically different drive than my OS drive. Symlinks are not involved in any of this.

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:07 am

crawfish wrote:
jjwatmyself wrote:Try moving it.
Why? I don't see any reason to move it out of Recorded TV. As I wrote earlier, I always configure Recorded TV to be on D: via the WMC Recorder setup UI, with D: being a physically different drive than my OS drive. Symlinks are not involved in any of this.
Oh, now I remember. Sorry, I have set up so many. The symlink was necessary on a tablet, with 32gb emmc and the 64 GB Micro SD that i added (D:) was not available in the UI, so a symlink was needed.

cycletourist

Post by cycletourist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Thank you. And I enjoyed the petty bickering (you've gotta be a Star Trek TNG fan for that one :)

But seriously ... thanks for all the input. I always prefer the simplest approach and simply told WMC to use my E: drive for Recorded TV - and then I added E:/Recorded TV Archive/Movies to my WMC Movies Library. I will separate "Recorded TV/Programs" (as opposed to Movies) by putting them in my Video Library.

During this process I ran into a typical Windows conundrum. My E drive already had a "Recorded TV" folder when I assigned E: in TV -> Recorder Storage. Before I understood how this worked, I simply changed the name of the folder on E: to "Recorded TV Archive." However, Windows knew this was a special folder, so when I tried to create a new "Recorded TV" folder, it wanted to merge those two folders, not create a new one. I changed the Recorded TV assignment back to C: and restarted WMC (and the PC), but Windows still thought that "E:/Recorded TV Archive" (what it was now called) was a "special folder" and would not let me create a new "Recorded TV" folder, it still wanted to merge it with "Recorded TV Archive." I can't even remember how I finally broke that link, but that was very frustrating - and a big waste of my time (another "hats off" to MS for designing such a grand OS).
--

offroad

Post by offroad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:01 pm

How exactly do you change the RECORDED TV drive location WMC has no command to do this?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:24 pm

offroad wrote:How exactly do you change the RECORDED TV drive location WMC has no command to do this?
It's in the Settings, under Recorder Storage.

offroad

Post by offroad » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Settings-tv-recorder storage

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Yup. It's amazing what you find when you browse around in the menus.