App to transcode, then download to a phone

woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

App to transcode, then download to a phone

Post by woodchuck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:44 pm

Are there any apps to transcode a recording, then either simultaneously or serially download it to a mobile device? I don't want to watch the live stream though, just download it for later viewing. Remote Potato can come close when paired with Remote Media Center, but it will either download the native show (32Gb) or transcode it and leave it on the server for later streaming. I want transcoding + downloading...

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Absolutely crazy idea:

Can't WMP do something like this if you set up a kind of 'playlist' sync relationship (new / recent items maybe?)

I'm sure I used to do this with an old Archos media player I had...

There must be something that will do this - even if it's a batch file for handbrake or something?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 pm

I use PLEX with a PLEX PASS and you have the ability to sync your content to the device. You can tell it what rate you want to transcode etc...

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:39 am

With WP8 you can just drag/drop the video file to the phone. If it's not in a format that the phone can natively handle then the copy process will offer to convert it. Conversion, to a wmv, takes a little while, but not too bad.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

rampantredsfan

Post by rampantredsfan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:I use PLEX with a PLEX PASS and you have the ability to sync your content to the device. You can tell it what rate you want to transcode etc...
This is the way to do it... I used to use DVRMS toolbox with a utility off of it that would handle putting the metadata into iTunes and it was a hassle. Not only were the results inconsistent, but iTunes would take hostage certain remote functions. Plex is hassle-free (but isn't free).

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

rampantredsfan wrote: Plex is hassle-free (but isn't free).
I have been supporting the smaller companies for awhile now since they are trying to actually make the systems do what we all want them to do. Hoping more people support the cause so that they can make our media content enjoyable across platforms etc...

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Did they add that capability to Media Browser 3?
I know there's something with transcoding...

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Dkeyguy1 wrote:Did they add that capability to Media Browser 3?
I read that too, was not sure if it meant similar functionality to the sync PLEX feature. Anyone here try it yet? Any ETA on the ROKU channel MediaBrowser live tv?

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
Dkeyguy1 wrote:Did they add that capability to Media Browser 3?
I read that too, was not sure if it meant similar functionality to the sync PLEX feature. Anyone here try it yet? Any ETA on the ROKU channel MediaBrowser live tv?
I know the sync function for Android app is on the to do list, after live tv gets implemented, so it will be coming but might be a little while longer. There are now two apps for Roku in MB. The official Roku app has live tv implemented if you download the Beta channel here http://mediabrowser3.com/community/inde ... a-channel/ The second channel is by another developer MB3 Roku ++ and it costs 3.99 or so. I believe it has live tv as well implemented but not sure.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:19 pm

christoph86 wrote: I know the sync function for Android app is on the to do list, after live tv gets implemented, so it will be coming but might be a little while longer. There are now two apps for Roku in MB. The official Roku app has live tv implemented if you download the Beta channel here http://mediabrowser3.com/community/inde ... a-channel/ The second channel is by another developer MB3 Roku ++ and it costs 3.99 or so. I believe it has live tv as well implemented but not sure.

That's great news, thanks for sharing. I am about to throw a Roku into my Garage and would love to eliminate the echo.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:26 pm

OK.... after a little messing around I find that my videos no longer play through media browser on Roku, and tv(live or recorded) doesn't work on either app.
I'll go see what's happening on the server and get back after I pull the rest of my hair out. I have both Roku apps.
Media Browser 3 has been functioning flawlessly for a while, aside from automatic updates which have needed to be repaired twice.
Although the Roku is one generation behind, so I'll probably have to get another one of those; perhaps a stick.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Dkeyguy1 wrote:OK.... after a little messing around I find that my videos no longer play through media browser on Roku, and tv(live or recorded) doesn't work on either app.
I'll go see what's happening on the server and get back after I pull the rest of my hair out. I have both Roku apps.
Media Browser 3 has been functioning flawlessly for a while, aside from automatic updates which have needed to be repaired twice.
Although the Roku is one generation behind, so I'll probably have to get another one of those; perhaps a stick.
So you are on Roku 2? Also the stick can not be hard wired which probably wont be great. Go with Roku 3 when they are refurbished etc. Just got another @ 70 bucks.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
Dkeyguy1 wrote:OK.... after a little messing around I find that my videos no longer play through media browser on Roku, and tv(live or recorded) doesn't work on either app.
So you are on Roku 2? Also the stick can not be hard wired which probably wont be great. Go with Roku 3 when they are refurbished etc. Just got another @ 70 bucks.
Yeah, so, now my head hurts.....
Anyhow, A reboot of the Roku and the Media Browser app works and the only thing I did on the server end was to change transcode from auto to fastest(not relevant to current task). ($3.99)Media Browser++ app crashes repeatedly without doing anything. The last time I just opened it.
Live TV works on the original free app, other than no sound on HD programs, but I'm sure that's because of how I have the Roku connected rather than a app or software issue; but now my head hurts.
The "Roku 2" works awesome streaming HD through the Playon my media app, so I can compare to something. X-men origins-wolverine 8.37 GB MKV 1920x1052 AVC DTS etc., etc., works with my media and original media browser app.
Gotta go pull the rest of that hair....
Also, I think I will go for the streaming stick(new one) next week.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:49 am

I've only played with the beta live tv release for a short time. I also get no sound on the HD channels. I don't currently have it hardwired (only 5 ghz wifi) so I am attributing it to that at the moment. The interface for live tv is a bit difficult to navigate since its not in grid form, but that might be the limitation of the roku. I have no issues with streaming movies on my roku 3 through media browser though. I also got the refurbished roku for $70 on newegg and works great. The extra 20 dollars would be worth it over the stick in my opinion.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm

PLEX added Windows Phone Sync Support.

https://blog.plex.tv/