Use HTPC as an "extender"?

stixx2002

HTPC Specs: Show details

Use HTPC as an "extender"?

Post by stixx2002 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:08 am

Hi all. I am currently using an Xbox 360 as my WMC extender. Is it possible to use a PC as an extender? My plan would be to connect this extender to my network and simply stream recorded tv and ripped movies from a hard drive on another PC. However, if I have Ceton tuners on another PC and have the wtv files on that same PC, would this HTPC extender I am proposing be able to play the wtv files?

Thanks in advance for any help.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 am

You wouldn't be able to stream protected content. Other than that, no problem.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:24 am

stixx2002 wrote:Hi all. I am currently using an Xbox 360 as my WMC extender. Is it possible to use a PC as an extender? My plan would be to connect this extender to my network and simply stream recorded tv and ripped movies from a hard drive on another PC. However, if I have Ceton tuners on another PC and have the wtv files on that same PC, would this HTPC extender I am proposing be able to play the wtv files?

An "Extender" is a unique thing, not just a concept. An extender uses unique MS technology to remote into the WMC PC, tell the WMC PC to play a recording (the extender doesn't play the recording), then the extender simply shows that video on a remote TV. That the central PC actually plays the recording is what makes the difference with respect to digital rights management. It's why only extenders can play WMC recordings that have DRM attached to them.

Because the extender is simply playing a remote session which is taking place on your central Windows PC, it's also able to let you manage the recording schedule and the recordings themselves just as if you were sitting at that central PC. Because essentially, you are.

The strict answer is no, you cannot use another PC as a WMC extender. Period.

You can, under the right circumstances, use a Windows computer (maybe even Mac or Linux) to play recorded TV files that are stored on another PC, regardless of how those recorded TV files got there. But depending on the recorded TV file, maybe you can't. You also cannot manage your recording schedule or your library from a remote Windows machine using simple file sharing.

What you want is MythTV, with multiple PCs being either backends or frontends or both, managing recording schedules among each other. What you will not get from MythTV is the ability to record and play back those recordings that have DRM attached to them. Only Windows has the tool necessary to handle the DRM.

stixx2002

Post by stixx2002 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:11 am

adam1991 wrote:
stixx2002 wrote:Hi all. I am currently using an Xbox 360 as my WMC extender. Is it possible to use a PC as an extender? My plan would be to connect this extender to my network and simply stream recorded tv and ripped movies from a hard drive on another PC. However, if I have Ceton tuners on another PC and have the wtv files on that same PC, would this HTPC extender I am proposing be able to play the wtv files?

An "Extender" is a unique thing, not just a concept. An extender uses unique MS technology to remote into the WMC PC, tell the WMC PC to play a recording (the extender doesn't play the recording), then the extender simply shows that video on a remote TV. That the central PC actually plays the recording is what makes the difference with respect to digital rights management. It's why only extenders can play WMC recordings that have DRM attached to them.

Because the extender is simply playing a remote session which is taking place on your central Windows PC, it's also able to let you manage the recording schedule and the recordings themselves just as if you were sitting at that central PC. Because essentially, you are.

The strict answer is no, you cannot use another PC as a WMC extender. Period.

You can, under the right circumstances, use a Windows computer (maybe even Mac or Linux) to play recorded TV files that are stored on another PC, regardless of how those recorded TV files got there. But depending on the recorded TV file, maybe you can't. You also cannot manage your recording schedule or your library from a remote Windows machine using simple file sharing.

What you want is MythTV, with multiple PCs being either backends or frontends or both, managing recording schedules among each other. What you will not get from MythTV is the ability to record and play back those recordings that have DRM attached to them. Only Windows has the tool necessary to handle the DRM.
Thanks for the additional context

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:41 pm

you can also use a tool like remote potatoe if all you want is to remote manage the main recording box. If you can "manage" the recording on the main HTPC, it is simple to add in a second PC as a WMC "client", and link it's libraries to the files stored on the main HTPC recording device.

Of course, there are possible DRM issues on some channels - but as stated, using WMC to access the remote files is just one of the ways to access the content.