No support for Windows 8.1 WMC anymore!!!!

cmax

HTPC Specs: Show details

No support for Windows 8.1 WMC anymore!!!!

Post by cmax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 am

I have had problem with one channel on my Windows 8.1 MCE (on cable tv) where there’s no picture (but sound). I have tried to get Microsoft Denmark to solve this, but the say that there are problem in that codec which Windows Media Center use to read this specific channel I Denmark, and therefore Windows MCE cannot read the signal which comes from HDHomerun tunner. Microsoft Denmark says that Microsoft will no longer support Windows Media Center and therefore this format which this channel use, can be read I Windows MCE.

Anybody know if that’s right that there is no support anymore for Windows 8.1 MCE – just bought it.??

Regards
Cmax

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:25 pm

You could try replacing the default tv filter with lav filters?
As for the Microsoft support... Don't hold your breath!
Lee

nick

Post by nick » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Would probably be better use just install windows 7 for you WMC server.

cmax

Post by cmax » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:52 am

nick wrote:Would probably be better use just install windows 7 for you WMC server.
I don't know what you mean - do you mean that the problem not in windows 7 mce, and therefor I should use this instead.??

cmax

Post by cmax » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:53 am

milli260876 wrote:You could try replacing the default tv filter with lav filters?
As for the Microsoft support... Don't hold your breath!
I'n not an expert, so could you tell me more what to do, or tell mere where to find this.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:57 am

You would need to download and install the LAV filters (make sure you get the x64 stuff if you're running 64 bit Win8).

Then you need to download and use MCDU to swap the codec used for TV.

Post back if you cant find them and we'll get some links for you.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 pm

^what rob said!
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Lee

cmax

Post by cmax » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks for the advises - but is there any who knows if it's right that microsoft don't support their MCE any longer.??

Stormprobe

Post by Stormprobe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:35 am

cmax wrote:Thanks for the advises - but is there any who knows if it's right that microsoft don't support their WMC any longer.??
Perhaps the representative you were speaking with didn't know what they were talking about. Microsoft still sells WMC so I don't see how they don't support it.

If you are having a problem with only one channel, then maybe you're not receiving it well enough to view it.

One thing you can do is contact SiliconDust support and they can view your HDHomeRun log file and let you know what the problem is.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:02 pm

holidayboy wrote:Then you need to download and use MCDU to swap the codec used for TV.
I cannot believe someone with your experience is recommending use of this tool.
It has left so many people with broken PC's that I cannot even count how many I have helped to recover from it.
Its main issue is that it renames pertinent Windows files with a *.mcdu file extension and does not properly remove that extension, ever.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for the info shark, I've seen others mention issues with the tool but I've never witnessed any problems when using it on people's machines.

Does installing multiple third party codecs make the issues more prominent?

Most of the installs I've used it on have been running MS codecs for non TV use.
Rob.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:15 pm

holidayboy wrote:Thanks for the info shark, I've seen others mention issues with the tool but I've never witnessed any problems when using it on people's machines.
I would venture to guess you don't notice a problem because using it gave you the desired outcome.
The issue rears its ugly face when you try to undo what the tool has done.
holidayboy wrote:Does installing third party codecs make the issues more prominent?
The issue it causes has nothing at all to do with codecs. The issue is clearly spelled out in my 1st response.
"Its main issue is that it renames pertinent Windows files with a *.mcdu file extension and does not properly remove that extension, ever."

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Strange then that I've never seen any ill effects....

There's always something to learn!
Rob.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:28 am

Shark you mention 'main issue' being the file renaming. What other issues are there? I've played with it but never live enviro.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:54 am

STC wrote:Shark you mention 'main issue' being the file renaming. What other issues are there? I've played with it but never live enviro.
Well, you're getting off topic now, but I think it sometimes doesn't properly reverse the registry changes either.

To quote the original poster...
cmax wrote:I have had problem with one channel on my Windows 8.1 WMC...
This is obviously not a codec problem yet everyone here is supporting trying different codecs to solve the issue, possibly causing damage to his system and leaving even the Microsoft codecs no longer working. The Microsoft codecs are the best available when it comes to LiveTV playback in Media Center.

I am not here offering a solution to his issue but since its one channel,
I would think there is a poor signal from that one source. He should probably talk to his cable provider.
(but that type of issue is not my area of expertise)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:29 am

The problem is people are trusting Microsoft technical support. Just because Microsoft technical support says something doesn't mean it's true. Has anyone explored any alternative explanations? As an example, the OP describes a known issue with MPEG-4 content on an Intel GPU. Has that explanation been ruled out?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:13 am

Shark007 wrote:Well, you're getting off topic now...
Continuing the off topic talk works in this case as you didn't fully explain all the reasons not to use it and I was curious but thanks for the info.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cmax

Post by cmax » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:39 am

Shark007 wrote:
STC wrote:Shark you mention 'main issue' being the file renaming. What other issues are there? I've played with it but never live enviro.
Well, you're getting off topic now, but I think it sometimes doesn't properly reverse the registry changes either.

To quote the original poster...
cmax wrote:I have had problem with one channel on my Windows 8.1 WMC...
This is obviously not a codec problem yet everyone here is supporting trying different codecs to solve the issue, possibly causing damage to his system and leaving even the Microsoft codecs no longer working. The Microsoft codecs are the best available when it comes to LiveTV playback in Media Center.

I am not here offering a solution to his issue but since its one channel,
I would think there is a poor signal from that one source. He should probably talk to his cable provider.
(but that type of issue is not my area of expertise)
Hi
I have first talked with the cable provider - no problem, then with Silicondust, and they testet my signal - no problem, then Microsoft and they say thats not their problem, but the broadcaster, and then I talked with the broadcaster, and they have no problem, and then again the cable provider (the biggest i Denmark), and because it works on my tv, they say that not at them. Then again Silcondust, and again no problem at them, and then again Microsoft, and after many mail's they say that they not support MCE any longer, and that they think it's a problem with codec.
Now I have agin talked with the cable company an they are my last hope.
I think I have don what was possible.